Retirement - Thanks and Goodbye

I know that I have been known for this before but this is me retiring but it’s totally different this time. Since Friday a lot has changed.

Recently, up until a few weeks ago I haven’t been racing regularly this was due to a temporary role at work that I was taking on as someone at a management level as left. I have now, today been offered to be the replacement for the IT manager. Frankly it is a job that I certainly can’t turn down - mainly due to the salary increase! The longer hours will mean I’ll be unable to race. I have a lot of tasks and projects plus major courses to attend. On top of that I have a house move coming and that needs a lot of renovation work which obviously will take masses of time. The admin teams here know that I have had job changes which have all been leading to this and that is why I had to leave admin duties last year.

I’m glad I’m retiring on good terms and on form which is why this has been a hard decision. What I can’t think of a better time to retire. My PC and G27 has been sold too this afternoon. Trust me I had near last minute change of mind when the guy was handing the cash over!

Done this before but thanks to everyone that I have raced against over the years and everyone that has helped me with setups, advise etc…

I am going to miss the racing but careers have to come first, especially the ones which you have been working to. Should work commitments reduce and I have more time on my hands then I’ll certainly be back. I can always replace a wheel…This season has been some of the best racing and hope it continues for you all. I have met some good guys at the track which I hope I will continue to bump into.

Good luck to everyone for the rest of the season! I'll still be looking on here and keeping an eye on the results.

Southy277

Edited by southy277

WELL THE TIME HAS COME!!! :042:

I only started racing uk dirt this year and I've had some fantastic races with you, some good but some not so.

either way keep safe and hope to see you some time in the future, until then fairwell!!

Cheers, Alex/ Mooby

WELL THE TIME HAS COME!!! :042:

I only started racing uk dirt this year and I've had some fantastic races with you, some good but some not so.

either way keep safe and hope to see you some time in the future, until then fairwell!!

Cheers, Alex/ Mooby

Cheers lad. Have fun.

You still have to retire at least another 3 times to beat my record Southy, but you must be the closest one to it!!! :rofl:

Hope all works out for you career wise and with the house :thumbs_up:

• 2 months later...

Noticed that there are a few new people on here talking about setups; Here is a copy of mine that I used over the past year or so. Hope they help someone out. Mixture of F1 and F2 along side the setups are the approx. lap times I got.

Setups.zip

Edited by southy277

Noticed that there are a few new people on here talking about setups; Here is a copy of mine that I used over the past year or so. Hope they help someone out. Mixture of F1 and F2 along side the setups are the approx. lap times I got.

Thanks again, Southy - these have been a big help for me in understanding how to set the car up for myself.

If only I knew *how* you'd arrived at some of the settings, that would be another matter!

Cheers,

Bagoo

No problem!

Mixture of various setups donated and ones that I have created.

One thing that I learnt was that if someone sends you a setup it doesn't mean that you will be any good with it. Unless you drive it in the same style as them. I received various setups from Danskin, Drumb and a load of others but always had to tweak them to suit my style of driving even if it was brakes, gears or weights. Don't think I hardly didn't tweak one to suit.

Can't remember if I did before but thanks to anyone who helped me achieve what I did especially Dan, Drumb and Dave who always helped out and was VERY patient with me!

Cheers and enjoy!

Edited by southy277

No problem!

Mixture of various setups donated and ones that I have created.

One thing that I learnt was that if someone sends you a setup it doesn't mean that you will be any good with it. Unless you drive it in the same style as them. I received various setups from Danskin, Drumb and a load of others but always had to tweak them to suit my style of driving even if it was brakes, gears or weights. Don't think I hardly didn't tweak one to suit.

Can't remember if I did before but thanks to anyone who helped me achieve what I did especially Dan, Drumb and Dave who always helped out and was VERY patient with me!

Cheers and enjoy!

Yeah, I've learned this, also. I'm trying to find my own way with some by looking at the difference between yours and the defaults and why it makes a difference. I've tried using the raceline and other setup guides but none of the tweaks I try that they suggest really seem to make the "critical" improvement so I've just started buggering around with stuff and trying to assess what the change helped with. Interesting that you change gear ratios and braking effort - these are two things I hardly ever touch. Maybe that's where I'm going wrong!

I've tried that approach and that's the usual line I try to take. What I have noticed, especially on tarmac, is that it normally ends up with me being easier to attack when entering a bend plus I find it hard to attack because the car isn't set up for a high corner entry speed.

What I've been trying to do more of late is set it up so I can get the power on quickly, like you do in a kart...they don't seem to grip unless you power through the bend. Not sure if this is applicable to an F1 but I'll try anything!

Yeah, I've learned this, also. I'm trying to find my own way with some by looking at the difference between yours and the defaults and why it makes a difference. I've tried using the raceline and other setup guides but none of the tweaks I try that they suggest really seem to make the "critical" improvement so I've just started buggering around with stuff and trying to assess what the change helped with. Interesting that you change gear ratios and braking effort - these are two things I hardly ever touch. Maybe that's where I'm going wrong!

i always go straight in and drop the brake pressure down to 75% sometimes down to 50 depending on the tracks resistance. as i suffer from a heavy left foot on the brakes and tend to lock the wheels, i find that means i brake a tick earlier than most so tend to run a slightly shorter gear aswell. its each to their own but again raceline helped me alot in learning to understand what does what and even down to the section that say things like under-steer mid bend and then lists things you can change to try and help.

think i picked these up when you originally posted them but thanks again southy

Hi KrisH,

Yeah, raceline is a good resource and I reformatted the "troubleshooting" bit into something I could pin up on the desk.

Trouble is, in some cases, I've found that doing the opposite of what is suggests yielded the best results! Not all cases, mind. Just some.

Have to just keep tinkering, I think.

Cheers,

Bagoo

Hi KrisH,

Yeah, raceline is a good resource and I reformatted the "troubleshooting" bit into something I could pin up on the desk.

Trouble is, in some cases, I've found that doing the opposite of what is suggests yielded the best results! Not all cases, mind. Just some.

Cheers,

Bagoo

It's a very personal thing I think I also find my other key changes are front left spring up or down depending on how much overseer on the brakes or understeer mid bend and right rear up or down depending on corner exit grip. I do think though that finding what works for you is the only way rather than relying on things like race line.

Hi KrisH,

Cheers,

Bagoo

Two things you have to remember here.

1.) In the F1s especially the default set-ups are probably not more than a tenth maybe two at some places away from Superstar pace. This means that making the changes suggested in the guides won't gain you huge amounts of time, and unless you can do the same lap time within a few 100s every lap you probably won't know if its the set-up or you that is making the difference. As an example, I get to spend very little time in rFactor these days, often no more than 30 mins before a meeting. In that time I am never going to get the sort of consistency I need to be confident in any set-up changes and have found if I do make any then when I go back to the track next time the changed set-up is slower.

2.) Balance is everything. As an extreme example you can jack the right front corner up and it will give you loads of bite of the corner; however it will understeer like a pig all the way round the turn because the left rear needs to unload to help the car turn so it does you no good. This applies to every change you make; it has to have a trade off somewhere else. The change you made might be the correct one however you might need to make a further change to counteract the negative effect from the previous change and bring the balance back

Hi KrisH,

Cheers,

Bagoo

Two things you have to remember here.

1.) In the F1s especially the default set-ups are probably not more than a tenth maybe two at some places away from Superstar pace. This means that making the changes suggested in the guides won't gain you huge amounts of time, and unless you can do the same lap time within a few 100s every lap you probably won't know if its the set-up or you that is making the difference. As an example, I get to spend very little time in rFactor these days, often no more than 30 mins before a meeting. In that time I am never going to get the sort of consistency I need to be confident in any set-up changes and have found if I do make any then when I go back to the track next time the changed set-up is slower.

2.) Balance is everything. As an extreme example you can jack the right front corner up and it will give you loads of bite of the corner; however it will understeer like a pig all the way round the turn because the left rear needs to unload to help the car turn so it does you no good. This applies to every change you make; it has to have a trade off somewhere else. The change you made might be the correct one however you might need to make a further change to counteract the negative effect from the previous change and bring the balance back

Hi,

Thanks for the info.

I rarely run with the default but I have just been practicing around Hednesford and reverted to the default and found it to be more consistent (but not quicker) than another set up I've been trying to develop. On tracks I like, I probably now have at least 1000 laps (probably sounds a low figure to some people) and am fairly consistent so I have an idea what makes a difference on those when I make small modifications. I'm not a particular fan of tar and, despite putting more laps in on it, I still struggle to get consistency.

It's funny you mention the front right as I have a tendency to lower it to give me more turn in and I tend to lower the caster, too, which gives me more grip through the turn as I *think* the car isn't pivoting so much when I steer more aggressively. Perhaps it's just my imagination.

I would tend, when modifying the setup on tarmac to change this in this order:

a. Gear ratio

b. Wedge

c. Tyre pressures

d. Track bar

e. Ride height (outside front only)

f. caster

g. Some spring.

I rarely touch shocks but I think this is probably what I ought to be tackling ahead of some other things.

I've been trying to look at some of the data that Motec produces but it's hard to work out what information tells you something valuable. I guess I'd really like to get tyre contact patch info out of rfactor so I know how to maximise grip but I think I maybe need to write some code to access this data!

Or maybe I just need to keep practicing.

Cheers,

Bagoo

• 2 years later...

r u still using these

r u still using these

Hi, I retired back in June 2013 and they were pretty good setups then. I could easily get times close to the top guys and had pretty good results especially on shale. I have lost total touch with the mod so there is probably a new version and the setups may or may not work but they should still form a great base.

I retired due to new job and since then got one of the baby things! But now hes a few years old and finally getting nearer the end of my house developments the last thing is to furnish my office with a high spec PC....whether of not i have time to race who knows.... :shrug:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..