Something happened with my PC!

Guest Trash

Guest Trash

Hi,

Looking for advice/help please!

Turned the PC on when we got home from Kings Lynn today and for some reason it's running a bit strange.

Everything is working but the it freezes on and off every few seconds. What I mean is the mouse cursor locks up for a couple of seconds and then works fine for maybe ten seconds then it locks up again and so on.

It is sometimes accompanied by a small beep from within the main tower.

I havn't got the foggiest! Any kind soul got any suggestions, advice or tips for someone who doesn't have a clue?

Thanks in advance,

Trash

Guest Scrapman53

Hi Stu.

A single beep usually means a memory problem. Do you have any spare memory that you could try in the PC?

If I've been on my PC for a good few hours and close my browser down, the PC freezes and I get the single beep, but I can't do anything, so have to reset the PC. I've tried other memory in to see if it was a faulty stick of RAM, but it still does the same. Leading me to think it's my Motherboard. So I'll have to live with it for a while yet. :thumbs_down:

Guest Scrapman53

If you have 2 sticks installed, try taking one out at a time, see if that cures it. If only one stick, try swapping it into another slot?

Guest Trash

Seems to have been cured with a change of mouse for some weird reason! Quite what the mouse started doing to cause the internal beep I have no idea but hopefully it seems to be fine now!

If your computer ever starts being really slow and annoying, and if something isn't running correctly, if you are on the desktop you can do the following,

press "Ctrl" + "Alt" + "Deleat"

That will bring up this, the Task Manager

[attachmentid=7087]

Then you can click on the Performance tab and see a graph of the memory and performance being used by your computer. One time my pc was running slow, so i checked this and the performance and the "CPU Usage" was on a minimum of 50%! i wasn't running any programs or games, it was just on the desktop.

So i clicked on the "Processes" Tab and it brought up a list of all the running processes currently running, and guess what? one program was using 50% of the CPU, it was something malicious, so i selected the program and clicked "End Process" and then my usage went back down to 1-2% and then once correctly identified (and after creating a restore point) i deleted the power hungry spyware, and that solved the problamo :thumbs_up:

post-775-1151317108.jpg

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..