MSN problems, any ideas?

Guest Trash

Hi,

For the last few weeks whenever I turn on my MSN it usually locks up my broadband router. I have to close MSN and then reset the router so that the internet connection will work again.

I have de-installed and then downloaded and re-installed the latest MSN but the same thing happens.

Anyone know what I can do to sort it out?

Thanks

Trash

Hi,

For the last few weeks whenever I turn on my MSN it usually locks up my broadband router. I have to close MSN and then reset the router so that the internet connection will work again.

I have de-installed and then downloaded and re-installed the latest MSN but the same thing happens.

Anyone know what I can do to sort it out?

Thanks

Trash

Is it windows live messenger ? or just msn 7?

As i had a problem similiar to this when i had windows live messenger, so i went back to msn 7 and it works fine.

Edited by martwisely

It did it with MSN Messenger (which used to be just fine) so I uninstalled that and on MSN all I could find was Windows Live Messenger so thats whats on here now and it does the same thing.

Guest Scrapman53

Windows live messenger is crap slow for file transfers. I'm not sure what's wrong with your MSN Stu, but try and get it working with 7.5 if possible. Windows live is a pile of crap.

Windows live messenger is crap slow for file transfers. I'm not sure what's wrong with your MSN Stu, but try and get it working with 7.5 if possible. Windows live is a pile of crap.

if you go start>my network places then 'view network connections' i have seen an msn connection thats set sometimes as part of their install....if thats set as a default for msn then it may cut yr connection in an attempt to 'redial' on its own default...might be worth a look

if you go start>my network places then 'view network connections' i have seen an msn connection thats set sometimes as part of their install....if thats set as a default for msn then it may cut yr connection in an attempt to 'redial' on its own default...might be worth a look

Thanks, have looked but only have three connections, one is my LAN, one is my wireless adaptor for my PSP and the third is Hamachi which is a games thingy used to play an online Speedway game I do.

I have the exact same problem but when i switch my internet security off i can then get on msn and the net and everything then when i turn it back on it cuts me off then reconnects it then all is usally fine

hope this helps

Ta Gaz

Similar problem here.

Just bought a new laptop and installed Windows Live Messenger and was working fine for few days then it started freezing everytime I signed in, so I went back to MSN Messenger V7.5...and still the same problem :banghead2:

Only seems to be happening since the wireless router has been installed though

• 5 months later...
Guest Trash

Old thread I know but I just fixed it.

I finally could be bothered to setup the BT Home Hub wireless thingy they sent me for nothing. Downloaded MSN and tried it....and it works. Seems the router was the problem after all...havn't got the foggiest why though.

I finally could be bothered to setup the BT Home Hub wireless thingy they sent me for nothing. Downloaded MSN and tried it....and it works. Seems the router was the problem after all...havn't got the foggiest why though.

Sorry this is a little off topic.....

With regards the BT Home Hub Trash (I'm presuming your not using the wireless aspect cause of online racing problems etc, correct me if i'm wrong), is it any good? I got upgraded from 1meg broadband to 3meg by BT a few months back and they also sent me one of those. I hate networks and trying to get stuff like internet connections running through them, it's never an easy job for me, so i've been reluctant to use it, so i'm still on my old BT Voyager 100 modem. However, the connection has been rubbish as of late with disconnecting, and I even disco'd from the final on thursday (I haven't disco'd from racing for 2 years now) so i'm kind of suspecting that my old modem is struggling to cope (i first received it when i got 512 broadband 3 and a half years ago).

I've heard a mixed bag of reports about the home hub, so just wondered how easy to whole thing is to set up for the internet. Can i still use my D-Link router for the network or would it work better if i used the router aspect of the home hub?

Thanks, sorry for all the questions, I didn't want to have that large chunk of cheap white plastic cluttering up my desktop but its looking like one of the few options left.....

Cheers MoR

Guest Trash

You sound the same as me MoR.

I have had the home hub sitting here for about 3 months. They sent it to me for nothing when they upgraded my line to 8 meg but I kept using the Voyager 205 modem as I didnt know what the changeover would be like.

In all fairness to BT, it is a piece of cake to install. The CD walks you through every bit and you will be done in no more than 20 minutes.

The connection seems great since I did it, and no I don't use the wireless feature but that is handy for when I want to connect with PS3, PSP, XBOX 360 etc. It has two ethernet and two USB ports. We use two PC's through it (one ethernet and one USB) as we did with the voyager with no problems.

I dont know what a D Link network is so can't help you there!!

Cheers

Stu

Sorry this is a little off topic.....

With regards the BT Home Hub Trash (I'm presuming your not using the wireless aspect cause of online racing problems etc, correct me if i'm wrong), is it any good? I got upgraded from 1meg broadband to 3meg by BT a few months back and they also sent me one of those. I hate networks and trying to get stuff like internet connections running through them, it's never an easy job for me, so i've been reluctant to use it, so i'm still on my old BT Voyager 100 modem. However, the connection has been rubbish as of late with disconnecting, and I even disco'd from the final on thursday (I haven't disco'd from racing for 2 years now) so i'm kind of suspecting that my old modem is struggling to cope (i first received it when i got 512 broadband 3 and a half years ago).

I've heard a mixed bag of reports about the home hub, so just wondered how easy to whole thing is to set up for the internet. Can i still use my D-Link router for the network or would it work better if i used the router aspect of the home hub?

Thanks, sorry for all the questions, I didn't want to have that large chunk of cheap white plastic cluttering up my desktop but its looking like one of the few options left.....

Cheers MoR

I changed to the BT home hub about 6 months ago when i switched from Virgin to BT.

Just to say the same as Trash really, it's really easy to connect and getting sorted although for some reason i couldn't get it to work using the ethernet connection so just tried the USB and bingo!

Without sounding rude to Budge, he's just moved house and is now on the BT home hub-if he can get it to work without having to smash it up then anyone can!!! :scared15:

You sound the same as me MoR.

I have had the home hub sitting here for about 3 months. They sent it to me for nothing when they upgraded my line to 8 meg but I kept using the Voyager 205 modem as I didnt know what the changeover would be like.

In all fairness to BT, it is a piece of cake to install. The CD walks you through every bit and you will be done in no more than 20 minutes.

The connection seems great since I did it, and no I don't use the wireless feature but that is handy for when I want to connect with PS3, PSP, XBOX 360 etc. It has two ethernet and two USB ports. We use two PC's through it (one ethernet and one USB) as we did with the voyager with no problems.

I dont know what a D Link network is so can't help you there!!

Cheers

Stu

Thanks for the prompt reply Stu, glad to hear that it seems to have worked nice for you, I think I'll definitely consider fitting the home hub in over the easter.

Thanks again

MoR

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..