ethernet card

Budge313

Ok... pretty soon i'll be moving,

Missus has BT wireless router... the new thing BT is offering, know i need to connect it via ethernet ( i think) from reading a few bits for online gaming,

Now my pc hasn't got a ethernet card, so what i'm asking is

Do i need this card, if so what 1... looked on ebay and there endless

Also how much will this affect my online ukdirt racing, ie if the kids are on wireless on there pc, and i'm on wired.... with a 4mb connection, will it cause warp online, or do i switch there pc's off..... lol... nope can't see that 1 happening.

Missus has BT wireless router... the new thing BT is offering, know i need to connect it via ethernet ( i think) from reading a few bits for online gaming,

Also how much will this affect my online ukdirt racing, ie if the kids are on wireless on there pc, and i'm on wired.... with a 4mb connection, will it cause warp online, or do i switch there pc's off..... lol... nope can't see that 1 happening.

I've got one as well , works on USB or ethernet , NIC cards ( ethernet ) are usually under a tenner and the easiest bit of hardware to fit in a PC.

My son stays connected with his PC when i'm online with no noticable change in speed of my connection but I do ask him to stop MSN and limewire as they can both hog bandwidth.

hope this helps . :thumbs_up:

Edited by garyellis

My PC is pretty old and only had a 56k phone line connection card in it but I took that out and replaced it with a Safecom Ethernet Lan Card which I picked up off ebay for a fiver and it works great :king:

I'm on a 4mb connection too and most of the time when I'm in a meeting/online practise I got one bro online on his PC then the other playing on xbox live and I hardly ever get warp. The only times I do get proper warp is if one of them is running a net connection hungry program for example something like Limewire.

So you should be fine as long as there not on anything like Limewire but then again you said youres is wireless whereas mine is all Ethernet cables so it maybe slightly better or worse.

Edited by Vixtro

Budge - If the kids are only surfing the net it won't effect you warp wise. That would only hinder your connection if they were downloading. A 4mb connection leaves you with a lot of bandwidth to use.

As for a network card, most will do the job. I recommend the top brands such as Netgear, Belkin, Linksys etc.

Thx for all the replys, :thumbup:

Thanks Allan, funny i was looking at that 1 last night, but really unsure which 1 to go for, or this 1 NETGEAR GA311 Gigabit Ethernet PCI network card

but would buying 1 with a gigabit help anymore than the card u suggest m8

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..