PSU Trouble

Leeroy186

Hi all,

My PC kept turning itself off at random a while back, sometimes after a hour, sometimes 2 mins after turning it on.

Thought it might of been overheating but that seems all good, decided to take it apart bit by bit and found out that when I unscrewed the PSU from the case it wouldn't turn itself off, so I'm guessing its because the PSU is shorting out on the case somehow??

Now the only way the comp will work is if its laid flat on its side with the PSU sat on top of the side of the case! I'm not too bothered cos the PC works fine, but it does get in the way and gets banged about plus it takes up aload of room and the missus moans that it looks untidy!

Does anyone know of a way to fix this or a good place to get a new PSU for a decent price?

The one I've got at the mo is a Zalman ZM300A-APF and I'm not really sure what I should get to replace it.

Cheers

Guest Scrapman53

It depends how much you want to spend on a PSU Lee. From past experience, I wouln't touch a cheapo one. I built a PC for Willie and used the PSU that came with the case. I learned my lesson after the PSU fried itself after 5 mins taking the motherboard, memory and graphics card with it too!

Try www.overclockers.co.uk I don't think there's any bad makes there. Get something that has either the same or more wattage than the one you have. The more the better for future upgrading purposes. :thumbup:

The other factor to think about when buying a new PSU (well for me anyway) is the amount of noise it makes, some sound like a jet aircraft taking off and some are wisper quiet.

Your current one is doing some strange things, must be a loose connection somewhere, I wouldn't leave it too long as it is though.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..