My gcse DT coursework

pazza

i've spent about 1 year designing and making this and the deadline is Friday. :o

This is exactly how i am going to hand it in, with the rostyles. :king:

lets hope the examiner appreciates them :unsure:

btw they are the wheels i use for ukdirt renders :thumbup: hehe

flames took a while

its a go-cart (no engine) gravity powered

if you flip it over, it is a sledge ;)

i'm going to enter it for AS level DT as well :coffee:

tell us what you think :thumbs_up:

post-1155-1175107299.jpg

post-1155-1175107312.jpg

post-1155-1175107392.jpg

post-1155-1175107451_thumb.jpg

:dddp: Edited by pazza

kool how much would it be for sale for?( i luv the wheels lmao)is it for the under 2 litres lol

lol

not for sale!

although i already have a go-cart at home ;)

i made it a few years back

post-1155-1175111043.jpg

Edited by pazza

hi mate. that is one nicely presented project. i too have a couple of karts and used to race a 250cc formula 250 national. heres a pic of the later model of the one i raced. enjoy.

[attachmentid=14677]

post-765-1175111131.jpg

thats neat damo :appl:

250cc are fast aren't they

biggest engine size in kart racing i think

thats neat damo :appl:

250cc are fast aren't they

biggest engine size in kart racing i think

we never actualy timed the 0-60 but its in the region of 3.5 seconds with a top speed of 160mph+ at thruxton. laptimes at most uk tracks are quicker than formula 3's and btcc and round donnington park a 250cc went quicker than a f1 car.

to give u some idea the straight at fulbeck is 260 metres, u come onto it at about 30mph. my data logger recorded a topspeed of 100mph at the end.

power to weight ratio is 400 bhp/tonne. to compare a ferrari f40 is 434 bhp/tonne. put plainly ive never come across anything yet on 4 wheels as fast as my kart. lol.

:o:surprise:

blimey!

kool how much would it be for sale for?( i luv the wheels lmao)is it for the under 2 litres lol

lol

not for sale!

where are the pedals :rofl: its 2 ugly il av damos lets say 20quid

where are the pedals

i use the force of gravity - a very strong force which gives an acceleration of 10m/s-2

that means every second, your velocity increases by 10m/s

therefore, after 10s, i'll be travelling at 100m/s

ps. accelaration is vertically, so i'd have to be falling through a vacuum (no air resistance)

physics lesson over :thumbup:

don't under-estimate gravity :rofl:

lol

not for sale!

is the wee thing at the back for holding the shopping on the way back from tesco (or any leading supermarket)

prydie

is the wee thing at the back for holding the shopping on the way back from tesco (or any leading supermarket)

prydie

nah

i don't do shopping :coffee:

the trailer is for carrying all the tools in case it falls apart (around a 50% chance :banghead2: )

thanks for the kind replies :thumbs_up:

btw tombo, is the birdhouse for a tech project, and are you going to do some signwriting on it :rofl:

Edited by pazza

handed it in yesterday, now i'm doing the evaluation to complete the project

here's my latest project (not for school) - a bike trailer which i finished today

it has a mesh (from an old fridge) which slots in the base

it can carry:

• another bike
  • a lawnmower
  • a toolbag/toolbox
  • a grinding wheel
  • a car creeper
  • 6 bike wheels
  • a person
  • a vacuum cleaner
  • or any other junk!
btw not all at the same time :rofl:

it cost me ... £0

bike wheels i scavved from the tip :2:

all wood is off-cuts :2:

paint i bought but i will use for loads of other things

bike cost £10 from scrapyard and i've had no problems with it in the 3 or 4 years i've had it

its amazing what recycling can do :surprise:

i'm hoping to get a £500 scholarship for all my DT work, and this bike trailer is an important project for that. :king:

tell us what you think :thumbs_up:

post-1155-1175371511.jpg

post-1155-1175371566.jpg

It looks great, well worth a £500 scholarship imo. Only observation is that trailer wheels look a little unsupported, as the trailer hangs from them, so a heavy weight could cause the brackets to bend resulting in the tops of the wheels moving inwards. Also the wood frame could drop from the brackets over bumps etc. Perhaps clamping the brackets around the wood or a cross member between the brackets might help. Either way, its great to see you're developing your manual skills, sadly on the decline in this country as we embrace a service culture. :appl::appl:

xTx

i'll keep an eye on it, coz you can get some negative camber :unsure:

the brackets are quite thick, and i've sat on it, which restored my confidence!

thanx for the constructive critism :thumbs_up:

cheers

pazza

That bike looks cool! How about adding some nice pink flaily tassels to the handlebars? :rofl:

I can see that that must have taken some planning and time to build, if you can make that for nothing, be nice to see what you can do with £500 Scholarship!! :thumbs_up:

if you can make that for nothing, be nice to see what you can do with £500 Scholarship!! :thumbs_up:

funny you should say that, coz i'm starting an electric car racing team

we plan to make an aluminium car running on a car battery and starter motor, which will go from 0-50mph in a 200m drag strip :thumbup:

we got a design sorted and some parts from free bikes from the tip already ;)

have a look a my page about the project

the £500 would help big ways for that project!

might spend the rest of the £500 on a small engine to dismantle and put back together to get some engineering experience. (i want to be an engineer)

thanx for the kind replies :thumbup:

cheers

pazza

wheel nearly fell off today :banghead2::o

i heard it coming loose so managed to pull over :5:

put lock nuts on the spindle now so it won't happen again :thumbup:

i wonder if its road legal :shrug::3:

we plan to make an aluminium car running on a car battery and starter motor, which will go from 0-50mph in a 200m drag strip :thumbup:

Many years ago a mate of mine made a go-cart powered by starter motors, you might be better off getting hold of a different motor if you can as we found starter motors aren't meant for continuous running and so they kept burning out.

You look as though you have some good practical skills, good luck with it all.

Many years ago a mate of mine made a go-cart powered by starter motors, you might be better off getting hold of a different motor if you can as we found starter motors aren't meant for continuous running and so they kept burning out.

You look as though you have some good practical skills, good luck with it all.

i thought it might burn out, but its compulsory in the rules for the organization we'll be racing under, so i'll just have to go with it :unsure:

its only got to run for 30secs at a time so it should be ok :shrug:

i like to keep my practical skills going, coz i enjoy it and i fear that manual work is a dying thing, as xTx was saying. :3: ]

:thumbs_up:

My dad and brother built a bike trailer once, years back, brother used it for his paper round to carry the papers.

Often I used to travel in it with my dad riding to arena essex :rofl: Lived in dartford at the time and used to get a lift through the tunnel by the tunnel control, they used to take bikes through on a small car trailer and drop us at the other end on a cycle path running alongside the M25, they changed now to bike racks so dunno if it would fit in the land rovers lol

Great fun it was, bit bouncy though... :thumbup:

I really do post some crap on here..... :rolleyes:

i like hearing about little tales of the past :king:

the whole project inc evaluation is done now :coffee:

here's a pic for the front cover

nb i only made one - this has been editted in psp :thumbup:

might confuse the examiner a bit :wacko:

post-1155-1175973286_thumb.jpg

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..