vauxhall victor

jamesy

It is the fc type model victor ...which often carried the 101 badge with it. The VX 490 used the same shell and was really just a hotted up upmarket version of the victor. A more powerful lump and cast iron gearbox bellhousing being used on the vx 490 version as the ally bellhousing wasnt strong enough for the extra power. I had a 101 on the road and that broke its ally bellhousing. Raced 3 victor 101 's myself and quite a few of the later fd model victors ...and a ventora.

Yeah they can be good bangers...One I had on the dirt I won about 12 races with. It was a solid example back in 1982 ish and mileage of 51000 meant it was still lively...It lasted ages and was only scrapped when the clutch burnt out...though it was getting bodily worn out by then.. It got repainted at one stage and even went in heavy team racing ..10 v 10 head to heads. 3 speed column change ones have good gearing...for oval racing..but best if you can get floor change gear selector mechanism and use 3 speed with floor change ..or put diff from column change cars into 4 speed floor change cars. Once set up right they do go very well. :thumbs_up:

Of the 1960's british mid range standard saloons..ie A60, cortina mk1 and 2 , minx ,superminx etc....the victor was the fastest...though not as quick as GT cortinas, vx490's and Magnettes etc.

[attachmentid=16420]If the twin carb one (vx490 lump..by the sound of it) also has the pukka gearbox bellhousing..cast iron one...then make sure that gets used too. Column change models were the most common..which put ppl off racing them...as the rod links could come apart...easy solved with little wire twists though . :042:

quick preview of the vx 490 model courtesy of ryano..

post-962-1181472193.jpg

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..