Physics Feedback

AndyG

I had my first ever online stockcar race last night where cars were actually SLIDING on shale!!!

Fantastic - if it were up to me I would ban personal setups. I just hope it isn't possible to set these cars up on shale so they drive like they're on tarmac :(

Fantastic - if it were up to me I would ban personal setups. I just hope it isn't possible to set these cars up on shale so they drive like they're on tarmac :(

The trouble with banning personal setups is the difference between a steering wheel setup and a pad setup really, so most likely won't happen for that reason. The great thing about rF is that is generally much more about consistent driving, rather than the setup.

Whilst I know we are still at this early stage in testing, I doubt it is possible to set up your car to drive like tarmac, and be fast at the same time. My personal best laps around Sexbierium are those when you throw it sideways just at the right angle so you can get the throttle down nice and early and it just drifts out of the bend onto the straight and starts immediately pushing in for the next bend. We spent so long testing physics, and in that time we've probably all tested different ways of driving, and I haven't seen anybody drive it without sliding and getting decent lap times - which is very promising indeed.

On the other hand, you may find it interesting (and good fun!) to try getting the back end out on tarmac and drive it nice and hard, as if you were on shale, and you'll soon see that it isn't as fast, and that it also wears your tyres very quickly! When you throw that factor into a race, it really does add another dimension to your race craft - should you really be pushing so hard for that place in front of you?

Keep the feedback coming :thumbup:

If you did want to go the "fixed" setups root then I believe you can set things up such that players can only change a few things (e.g. steering lock, for pad/wheel differences). Personally though I like the setup flexibility, especially if the faster guys are willing to share theirs.

Being able to alter setups gives the game much greater longevity and certainly rewards perseverance, but I don't believe it should be used to fundamentally alter the way the cars drive in a way which would be impossible in real life.

Edited by matthew413

I just hope it isn't possible to set these cars up on shale so they drive like they're on tarmac :(

When I first thought of making an F1 mod for rF, my main priority was sideways racing on shale. In all the Beta tests I havn't seen anyone driving tar style on shale. Sure hanging it out like a Japanese Dr1ft3r :shrug: is slow but you need a certain amount of sideways to make the car turn.

Edited by Hooty256

• 2 weeks later...

Will driving aids be banned for on-line racing?? :scared15:

I noticed having steering aid on "Low" probably resulted in slower lap times on my analogue gamepad. Due to it not allowing very much opp-lock. But it helped with smoother driving.

So far I have only managed a 15.8ish lap at IpswichT

I noticed having steering aid on "Low" probably resulted in slower lap times on my analogue gamepad. Due to it not allowing very much opp-lock. But it helped with smoother driving.

I use a pad an I'm getting 15.6-8s but Dazza tells me he gets 14.6-8s with a wheel and he aint wall riding! lol :o

I use a pad an I'm getting 15.6-8s but Dazza tells me he gets 14.6-8s with a wheel and he aint wall riding! lol :o

wipe yer chin :king:

Guest Scrapman53

After a lot of testing in the last few weeks, I'm beginning to think that the tyre wear is a tad too much on tar. Mines are going off by lap 12. Anyone else any comments on this?

I wouldn't say I'm driving the car that hard to wear them out. Just a blip of the throttle at the correct place on the bend to set the car up for a straight fast exit of the corners.

If not, I'll have to do a seperate setup for races to conserve the tyres. :thumbup:

Edited by Scrapman53

I found I could have a quick setup (15 dead) that would be ok for 6 or 7 laps then would start to oversteer like crazy or a slightly slower setup that was good for 15 - 20 laps. That of course is fine for normal meetings but if the championship races are longer then it really would turn into a tyre conservation race as much as speed.

I tend to agree. I think it's dead right that a wild oversteering style should result in performance degrading tyre wear, but as it stands at the moment even a relatively careful technique results in problems before the end of a heat length race.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..