Gradient Help

martin379

Hi,

Recently I have started trying to do gradients on cars so that they fade from light to dark, or have a pearlescent sort of look like on FWJ's tar F1. Once I have spent quite some time trying to perfect the look in Photoshop I then convert it and put it in the game. When it comes up in the game the gradient is all blocky and it looks terribble, however in Photoshop it looks really nice and smooth. I have had all the graphics turned up to full and I've had them turned right down and I've even tried them inbetween, nothing seems to make a difference. In Photoshop when I save it I make sure that the TGA is at 24 bit and have tried converting the TGA at 1024x1024 and 512x512 but it still comes out the same. Any help would be much appreciated, thanks alot.

Martin

When all one shade the car looks nice and smooth. I think it's because I'm using Elements, Demonstate has given me a few tips on MSN so thanks to all who offered help. Appreciate it.

I think it also might have something to do with what screen or monitor you use as on my 19inch lcd at home, it doesn't look too bad, not very noticeable but on my 15 incher at work it looks terrible.

However, if these tips work, would you be kind enough to share?

This was all from Demonstate and RickyB. You may have to add an overlay/darken layer on top of your gradient and just play about with it until you get the right look. Also, on the Tigra pic above I only used 3 colours in the gradient and because one blue was so dark then the next much brighter and the last one was also very bright so it came out blocky. You need to use lots more colours that are closer to each other and blend easier. I was up until the early hours pl;aying with the F1 skin and I made some progress but still getting the blocky lines however it isn't nearly as bad. Off to try and sort it now lol.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..