Cutting Fiesta Coil Springs - advice ?

Guest Combo

Hello people.

Ive put together a fiesta for my son to race the "junior rod" formula at skegness and kings lynn in the new season.

Its a mk2/3 (i think) - 89F plate the rear springs are are mounted seperate to the rear strut (after 89 the rear suspension changed to coil over shockers) i think ..

I want to cut the coils to take the Rowing Boat feel out of the car but im not sure how many coils to cut off the front and rear.

Im guessing that with all the racers that use the forums i might get a bit of positive advice that'll save me maybe takin a coil at a time and spending time puttin together and takin apart again ..

cheers

Gaz .

Just gently heat one coil on each spring with some Oxy/Actylene gas....if you dont have gas, turn the power up on your mig welder right up, and just concentrate on ' welding' one part of the spring for a few seconds, it'll do the same trick. :thumbup:

Just gently heat one coil on each spring with some Oxy/Actylene gas....if you dont have gas, turn the power up on your mig welder right up, and just concentrate on ' welding' one part of the spring for a few seconds, it'll do the same trick. :thumbup:

mcrew , thats given me somthing to think about , a simple way to stiffen the bloody thing up.

Its 25 years since i raced bangers, MK1/2 Grannies and Triumph 2/2500's were 10 a penny then - the simple way then was to bang a couple of holes thro the shell fllor and wrap chains thro and around the (Rear) wishbones to pull the spring out.

I dont think todays scruitineers would stand too much of that approach :unsure:

Cheers bud

mcrew , thats given me somthing to think about , a simple way to stiffen the bloody thing up.

Its 25 years since i raced bangers, MK1/2 Grannies and Triumph 2/2500's were 10 a penny then - the simple way then was to bang a couple of holes thro the shell fllor and wrap chains thro and around the (Rear) wishbones to pull the spring out.

I dont think todays scruitineers would stand too much of that approach :unsure:

Cheers bud

Hello yes you can cut the springs down but like said above if you want a easy solution then as long as the tank is out then heat them up and the weight of the car will lower the springs to the height you want.

Only thing you have to remeber is when you comprees a spring or cut the spring rate will also be more so it will stiffen as you make the spring smaller and if it is a rod then try to get the inside abit harder but shorter than the outside rear, dont no if you will get this if you just messing with standard springs.

Hope this helps in someway.

Jay

be carfull cutting or heating springs on mk2 fizzes i had the xr2 i raced and 1st time i raced it i left all springs as is and won a few i then thought if i cut the springs or lower it a tiny bit it will hold track abit better but NO was to easy that i coulnt drive it after that didnt handel atall coukldnt get it to fly round the bends ot nowt i would leave the springs or get xr2 ones they are abit stiffer

TADS

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..