Broadband Set-Up Help

Leeroy186

Hi lads, this is a bit long winded but i'm confused.com!

I have been trying to set up wireless internet for a friend

They have a brand new HP laptop and I am trying to connect it wirelessly to a Belkin F5D9630UK4 G+ MIMO Broadband Wireless ADSL Modem Router.

I've connected up the router to the laptop, and the laptop picks up the router but not the internet. I have connected the adsl line from the router to the phone socket through a filter but no connection to the internet is made. I tried this on all three phone sockets in their house.

They do have an adsl socket next to one of their phone sockets, so I then put the adsl cable from the router into this. The laptop then connects to the internet (and the internet and adsl lights on the router come on) but it was majorly slow, as in websites were taking 25-30 mins to load! (This was both with an Ethernet cable and wirelessly).

Their old pc was connected through an old speedtouch router to the adsl socket and the internet is a lot faster on that than when I connect the new router and laptop through the same socket.

What I can't understand is, why wouldn't it connect to the internet through a filter and normal phone socket? Also why is it so slow through the ADSL socket compared to the old router?

Do they need BT to come out and look at the wiring?

The ISP is Orange and line rental through BT.

Cheers

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..