Modem/internet

TRAV365

Hi

when i got my old computer years ago and signed up with my broadband provider they came and put a network card into my computer and gave me a

modem and all i had to do was run a wire from the modem to the computer.

the old computer got thrown and i never kept the network card now if i run the wire straight from the modem to the computer it will not connect to the internet

instead i have to run a wire from the modem into a netgear wirless router and then run that wire into the computer and all works fine. but when i play heat i now get

a lot of warp would this be why as im going through the wirless router??? if so how can i just run a wire from the modem to the computer?? the modem is about 8 years old

do i need a newer one and would any cable modem work????

cheers trav

Your setup is the same as mine Trav. Laptop/Wireless Router/20mb/Vista.

You can run a wire from modem to laptop, but plug it all in first before switching on laptop. Your laptop once booted will fine the source and adjust your network accordingly. Only problem with that is you have to rely on your laptop firewall to protect your laptop, as the wireless router is also firewall guarded.

What I do, is cable from modem to router, and cable from router to laptop. Again set this all up prior to booting up the laptop. I still leave the wi-fi on on the laptop also.

I also have windows firewall turned OFF permanently, as this conflicts with McAfee that I leave running all the time, even when playing online.

I use spybot to close down excess programmes that I am not using, similar to end-it-all.

Also see when windows updates are scheduled to run, it maybe trying to do this whilst you are racing also.

I haven't yet been told I am warping so it must work for me.

Hope you can solve it ok :thumbs_up:

cheers mav yes thats all fine just running a wire from my modem to laptop but i dont use the laptop anymore

as ive just splashed out on a top new Computer ive tried just running the wire from the modem to the new computer

and switiching it on but it will not find the internet it only does that when i run it through the wirless router.

What id like to know is there a way of just running a wire direct from modem to my new computer without having to use

the router.

as far as i can see i have nothing else running when i play online updates are all disabled,firewall is off and i even turn my anti virus program off

Trav, have you tried ringing your ISP, they should be able to check your line, or might even have reduced your speed if you have broken the unwritten usuage rules. Also have you tried changing your ADSL filter (the little gadget that plugs inot your phone socket) as it is quite common for these to go faulty. Also most ISP's reccomend you put a filter on each box (the main one and any that are fitted to extensions) i have found that in reality it is best to have just the one, and place in the socket you actually plug your wireless router into. Like Nezza i dont have a problem with Heat and Vista.

Hope you get it sorted matey

Cheers welly im on cable/Broadband and thought there was no download limit but thinking about it ive downloaded mega loads this month getting

stuff for rfactor and heat and i know budge had problems with warp because he reached his limit will have to look into that side of it on monday.

Also does cable/broadband have a ADSL filter as i dont think ive got anything like that on my setup?????

My virgin cable hasn't any ADSL filters m8... so don't think you need them.... I'll stand corrected if you do i'll fit them to mine, Virgin 20mb restricts you between 4 - 9 pm, about the amount you can download, and cuts the speed for 5 hours from whatever time you passed the limit between those times, after the 5 hours it's back to speed, so we don't get a monthly usage as such, reason i had warp was step-daughter downloading music and films between them and BANG went my racing for the night... she won't be doing that on a monday again (i hope)

Edited by Budge313

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..