new hard drive problem

mitch28

once upon a time...

my external hard drive decided one day not to turn on. I dont think its the hard drive thats the problem i believe its the power supply. It was a maxtor one touch II 100gb external hard drive

I decided to take it out of its external case and put it into my PC. I decided to do this as I desperately need the work that is on it!!!

My internal hard drive is a sata whereas the external hard drive is a ide. This is not a problem as my motherboard has slots for both

I went out today to buy a ide cable, plugged the ide hard drive into it, and connected the power supply to. I have set the jumpers to master on the ide hard drive.

When i go to boot the computer with the new hard drive, the computer starts for a milli second then dies. ( By this i mean the fan twitches, the lights blink etc)

What the hell am i doing wrong?? Please dont let the tech geeks take £100 from me from PC World!!!

The End

Mitch

Edited by mitch28

It sounds to me as though the power circuit on the hard drive has developed a short circuit, I hope it hasn't damaged your main pc power supply or motherboard :wacko:

I don't think it's really something that you will be able to fix yourself. :(

I'm no expert, that's just what it sounds like to me.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..