Connecting Xbox through VGA monitor

Dazza290

Hi all,

Having recently bought a rather large desk, I have decided t would be more practical for me to have the computer and Xbox running through the same screen. However I have a problem. I have read about the Xbox VGA cable which you can use to plug the Xbox directly to the back of the monitor, which also has to connections for sound. Now, Im assuming if I conect the 2 connections to the computer I can get sound and picture through the pc speakers and the monitor.

However, what I would ideally like to do is connect the Xbox to the monitor and have sound and picture without having the computer running. Im sure this is possible but I cannot think of the way to do it.

Has anyone done this, or could anyone post up the various bits and pieces I would ned to do this.

Im due a new set of speakers anyway, so if there are speakers out there for a reasonable price that I could plug the 2 connections from the Xbox VGA cable into that would work, please give me a shout as be buggers if i can find em!

Cheers in advance,

Dazza

Hi all,

Having recently bought a rather large desk, I have decided t would be more practical for me to have the computer and Xbox running through the same screen. However I have a problem. I have read about the Xbox VGA cable which you can use to plug the Xbox directly to the back of the monitor, which also has to connections for sound. Now, Im assuming if I conect the 2 connections to the computer I can get sound and picture through the pc speakers and the monitor.

However, what I would ideally like to do is connect the Xbox to the monitor and have sound and picture without having the computer running. Im sure this is possible but I cannot think of the way to do it.

Has anyone done this, or could anyone post up the various bits and pieces I would ned to do this.

Im due a new set of speakers anyway, so if there are speakers out there for a reasonable price that I could plug the 2 connections from the Xbox VGA cable into that would work, please give me a shout as be buggers if i can find em!

Cheers in advance,

Dazza

Hi Dazza,

I'm not a big expert on connections and stuff, but I do have experience connecting an xbox via a VGA cable. The two audio connections are the red and white phono ones aye? You could look for a set of speakers which have an audio input that would match (unlikely i guess?), or if you find some speakers with a jack/mini-jack line-in you'd be onto a winner, because all you'd need is a phono to stereo jack cable, and then a phono coupler. Then hopefully, if you have all that going into the line-in on your speakers, you'd be able to use the speakers with the xbox, without having the PC on. If you can't find a set of speakers with a line-in, you could plug that jack into the stereo line-in on your PC/Sound card if you have one, but you'd need your PC on.

Those links were just quick finds BTW, probably not the cheapest!

Hope it helps anyway, like i say, I'm not an expert on these things by any means, I'm sure someone might have a better idea.

Cheers

MoR

• 1 month later...

Forgot to post back here until now!

Cheers for the help lads, I've managed to get the cable I was talking about and then hook it up to the Stereo and my monitor, giving crystal clear sound and visuals!

Darren

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..