rFactor League F1 Skins

Mav

Having looked at possibilities why my laptop struggles with rFactor, even though I have all the effects on the lowest setting. I then came across the folder which holds our skins.

My Tarmac OL folder is 280mb and the shale OL folder is 278mb and that doesn't include the gaming files. My USERDATA folder is 4GB - This is alot of information for my processor and graphics card to cope with!!!

Compare this to UK Dirt F1 Heat the entire folder is 194mb and the run file is 165mb.

I know rfactor is better, thats why we have moved to it, but surely the skins that we create should be at 1024 pixels (342kb) each rather than 2048 (1.33mb) each. (Remember we have 4 skins on each surface.)

Wouldn't this cut down on the processing power required to run the game or does this significantly reduce the effect of the game???

If it doesn't have an inpact could we please have the skins at 1024 pixels, especially if more people join the league. It would also help the skin pack size, download capacity of the server etc.

Any thoughts???

Having looked at possibilities why my laptop struggles with rFactor, even though I have all the effects on the lowest setting. I then came across the folder which holds our skins.

My Tarmac OL folder is 280mb and the shale OL folder is 278mb and that doesn't include the gaming files. My USERDATA folder is 4GB - This is alot of information for my processor and graphics card to cope with!!!

Compare this to UK Dirt F1 Heat the entire folder is 194mb and the run file is 165mb.

I know rfactor is better, thats why we have moved to it, but surely the skins that we create should be at 1024 pixels (342kb) each rather than 2048 (1.33mb) each. (Remember we have 4 skins on each surface.)

Wouldn't this cut down on the processing power required to run the game or does this significantly reduce the effect of the game???

If it doesn't have an inpact could we please have the skins at 1024 pixels, especially if more people join the league. It would also help the skin pack size, download capacity of the server etc.

Any thoughts???

That is a really good idea mav and it helps with people that don't have a top notch spec pc and it saves space on your pc - Worth a think about :thumbs_up:

Hi Mav,

First thing that jumps out at me is your USERDATA being 4GB..... it definitely shouldn't be that big (mines 40mb!)..... maybe you mean GAMEDATA instead? My whole rfactor install is only 2.86GB with minimal mods installed, and the majority of that comes from the GAMEDATA folder.

Reducing skin sizes was something I experimented with when I was doing the skinpacks for the first half of the 2008 season on rFactor, and it wasn't very popular at all as it drastically reduces the quality of the skins, which is extremely noticeable against the detailed models and crisp surroundings. What's important to remember is that (as far as I'm aware), the game only loads what it's using, so it won't load your skin until you choose your car, and it won't load your competitors skins until you are joining them on track, so having 8 skins per person won't affect how quick the game runs when racing, or anything like that. Your quite right in noticing the drastic difference in file sizes between a 2048x1024 skin to a 1024x512 skin, and that of course means more data will be loaded in a race, but at such a small amount, it shouldn't really be an issue.

To sum up, if you are having a problem, I really don't think the skins are the answer. There are so many more elements of the game which will be much more intensive on your hardware; the tracks are one example - most of them will be loading many more DDS's than the skins on track.

You can't compare the disk space used between Heat and rFactor because it really is just the advancement of technology - 194mb was quite a big amount back when the HDD in my pc was only 8GB. It's normal for games to be in the GB's now - just looking at two modern shooters on my pc at the moment they are 5GB and 9GB.

Also, skinpack/download size isn't really a concern as DDS files compress very well - zip up a 1.33mb skin and you'll notice it comes out at around 140KB, and the same goes when you pack it into an installer.

Hope this clears up some confusion :)

MoR

Thanks Mor - that information answers my concerns over the skins and the game. I do stand corrected tho, as it is indeed the GAMEDATA that is 4GB not the USERDATA.

Cheers :thumbs_up:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..