Final Fantasy XIII

Got it on Tuesday on the PS3. Quite good so far, quite a departure from the standardised format set out by the series, but still awesome.

Looks insane on the PS3.....

Ive already got onto the 3rd disk of the game, put in about 29 hours so far and onto the 10th chapter, only thing I dont like at the moment is the upgrade system to sort out the weapons but Ive heard that the best time to start upgrading is abit further into the game on about chapter 11 or so.

I know people have been put off by the game because of its linearity but doesnt bother me one bit.

Ive already got onto the 3rd disk of the game, put in about 29 hours so far and onto the 10th chapter, only thing I dont like at the moment is the upgrade system to sort out the weapons but Ive heard that the best time to start upgrading is abit further into the game on about chapter 11 or so.

I know people have been put off by the game because of its linearity but doesnt bother me one bit.

I'm not quite as far as you, just got to chapter 6. I'm not to bothered about it being linear as well, as long as it does eventually open up near then end as some have said. Usually enjoy tackling side-quests. My only issue with it is that the first few chapters are essentially 'dungeon' after 'dungeon' (by dungeon I don't mean an actual dungeon, just the term for out-of-town!), not huge cities and stuff to look around and take in. I can see why people are finding it hard to get into when 10 hours into the game you're still in the middle of nowhere pushing through monsters.

Square's story-lines and characterisation never fail to disappoint though!

Just out of interest, how many disks does the 360 version have?

Oh, and a little off topic, but have you played Lost Odyssey Davey?

I'm not quite as far as you, just got to chapter 6. I'm not to bothered about it being linear as well, as long as it does eventually open up near then end as some have said. Usually enjoy tackling side-quests. My only issue with it is that the first few chapters are essentially 'dungeon' after 'dungeon' (by dungeon I don't mean an actual dungeon, just the term for out-of-town!), not huge cities and stuff to look around and take in. I can see why people are finding it hard to get into when 10 hours into the game you're still in the middle of nowhere pushing through monsters.

Square's story-lines and characterisation never fail to disappoint though!

Just out of interest, how many disks does the 360 version have?

Oh, and a little off topic, but have you played Lost Odyssey Davey?

Ive just got onto chapter 11 and theres is a lot you can now explore but there are quite a few enemies that are too strong at the moment and theres a few side quests you can do.

like you said with the story line and characterisation are always simply brilliant.

The 360 has 3 disks but I know ive still got a lot to do and explore.

Yes Craig ive playd lost odyssey, only got as far as the 3rd disk though as got a bit bored and the enemies were starting to get alot tougher lol, was the first game i got with the 360, ive heard rumours there suppose to be a second one coming out.

Ive just got onto chapter 11 and theres is a lot you can now explore but there are quite a few enemies that are too strong at the moment and theres a few side quests you can do.

like you said with the story line and characterisation are always simply brilliant.

The 360 has 3 disks but I know ive still got a lot to do and explore.

Yes Craig ive playd lost odyssey, only got as far as the 3rd disk though as got a bit bored and the enemies were starting to get alot tougher lol, was the first game i got with the 360, ive heard rumours there suppose to be a second one coming out.

Oh right, yeah I heard rumours too but no announcement yet. I played it last year, bit of a marathon (took me 69 hours lol!) but I defiantly rate it as high as my favourite RPGs (FFVII and FFX) - one of the best end sequences I've seen in a long time.

As for FFXIII, just got onto Chapter 8 tonight, really really good so far.

I may attempt to start it again as I lost my save where I was at, but theres a few games that I want to get first so be a little way yet before I start it again.

I'm still on Chapter 11 exploring alot of land and also started doing some of the sidequests there, may continue the story after a few more of the sidequests. 39 hours so far :o

Haha cool.

A friend at work has just completed it, took him 49 hours. Apparently during the credits it asks you to save, and when you load that save it starts you before the final boss, so you can do a lot of the side quests once you've completed the main story if need be. Was looking at the trophies list in his guide today, not easy some of them! Don't think I'll bother lol.....

I'm going for all the achivements on the game, only one i think will be difficult is to do all sidequest but get 5 stars on every one, so ive gone back on some ive already done and got 5 stars for them lol

Must say its probs one of the best games in the series in my opinion.

Did it take him 49 hours just doing the story or did he do stuff along the way like some of the sidequests?

I'm going for all the achivements on the game, only one i think will be difficult is to do all sidequest but get 5 stars on every one, so ive gone back on some ive already done and got 5 stars for them lol

Must say its probs one of the best games in the series in my opinion.

Did it take him 49 hours just doing the story or did he do stuff along the way like some of the sidequests?

From what I gather he only did a handful of the quests, with the intention of going back after completed the story, so I think 49 hours is reasonably accurate. That looks like the hardest achievement to get looking at the list, although there will be a lot of grinding involved for maxing out all the characters and stuff too. Doubt I'll commit lol.

Just got onto chapter 10 tonight, pretty epic boss battle prior to that lol!

I agree, its definitely up there with my favourites at the moment. Shame it probably won't be remembered as that though - currently sitting as the lowest rated 'numbered' final fantasy release on metacritic :( I don't think the fact it takes so long to get going helps, and a lot are split on the linearity (although I don't see why, the way the story shifts between parties really cushioned the blow for me, and I don't see how they could've done it any other way with how the story develops!).

Still on Chapter 11 at the moment, been on it now for 52 hours....sad I know lol

Ive done at least 20 sidequests with only a few not with 5 stars.

Continued the story yesterday and would say im half way through Chapter 11, still enjoying the story but starting to get a little sad that it will all end soon lol

Will you been getting Final Fantasy XIII Versus Craig? I have heard that it will also be linear as again has a story to tell

Still on Chapter 11 at the moment, been on it now for 52 hours....sad I know lol

Ive done at least 20 sidequests with only a few not with 5 stars.

Continued the story yesterday and would say im half way through Chapter 11, still enjoying the story but starting to get a little sad that it will all end soon lol

Will you been getting Final Fantasy XIII Versus Craig? I have heard that it will also be linear as again has a story to tell

Just got to chapter 11 today and it's just opened up finally, so going to have a look at what's available before I carry on. 26 hours now lol. Still really enjoying it. Splinter Cell is out in 4 weeks so that's a rough deadline for me to get this done for!

Not sure about versus yet, seems to have dropped off the radar for the time being. Judging from the stuff they've shown it looks pretty cool but I'll wait and see what it turns out to be - square have got into a nasty habit of releasing pretty second-rate spin offs (anything final fantasy 7 related minus advent children was rubbish). X-2 wasn't bad though, so here's hoping for versus!

Don't know if you already have but i reccomend that you do some of the quests, you get some really good items from them and also good for grinding your characters.

Got towards the end of chapter 11 this morning but turned back to do some more of the quests and to do some grinding and getting components to upgrade the weapons and accessories.

Have you attempted to fight them huge massive walking things yet? that are on the massive island? I fought one of the smaller ones which was still quite hard lol

Hows your playthrough going Davey?

Just got to Chapter 12, the story is getting really epic and the cutscene at the beginning of the chapter is mind-boggling. Think I'm going to push through the story now (no doubt with the odd break to level-up!) and attack the side quests properly once I complete it!

It's going really well, I'm on the final Chapter now, I couldnt upgrade the crystaurium that well so thought I would just get onto the story and start to level everyone when the story is done.

Got a bit stuck lastnight on a boss, you will see when you get to it, was pretty tough for my first attempted but switched a few people round and was rather easy.

I'm now in the Orphans cradle trying to move forward, think I may get through the story either this afternoon and tonight.

What HP do your main characters have?

My 3 main people are

Lightening - 9000 HP

Snow - 10,190

Vanille - mid 8000

I only have vanille in my team has she is best for healing, think after the story I will switch back it being Lightning, Snow and Fang.

Now been on it for almost 72 hours...defienatly getting my moneys worth out of it

It's going really well, I'm on the final Chapter now, I couldnt upgrade the crystaurium that well so thought I would just get onto the story and start to level everyone when the story is done.

Got a bit stuck lastnight on a boss, you will see when you get to it, was pretty tough for my first attempted but switched a few people round and was rather easy.

I'm now in the Orphans cradle trying to move forward, think I may get through the story either this afternoon and tonight.

What HP do your main characters have?

My 3 main people are

Lightening - 9000 HP

Snow - 10,190

Vanille - mid 8000

I only have vanille in my team has she is best for healing, think after the story I will switch back it being Lightning, Snow and Fang.

Now been on it for almost 72 hours...defienatly getting my moneys worth out of it

Crikey, you're a bit more advanced than me, around 6000 for most atm and feel just on the difficulty curve going through Eden. Probably stop for some power-levelling soon to get me prepared for the final battles. I personally use Lightning, Hope and Fang but it's the same concept as yours really, just different characters. Fangs great for Sentinel and is super powerful which is great for a final push.

You've doubled me hours-wise then as I'm only on 36. Aiming to complete it before the easter holidays I think!

Finished the story this morning, took me 73ish hours, but alot of that is training up and doing missions, the final boss is probs one of the hardesr final boss's in the series in my opinion.

Now im just trying to do all missions and try get the full achivements which is going to be difficult.

If it wasnt for all the training and doing missions i would say that it took me 40ish hours for the story as i was training etc in gran pulse for a good 30 hours.

Finished the story this morning, took me 73ish hours, but alot of that is training up and doing missions, the final boss is probs one of the hardesr final boss's in the series in my opinion.

Now im just trying to do all missions and try get the full achivements which is going to be difficult.

If it wasnt for all the training and doing missions i would say that it took me 40ish hours for the story as i was training etc in gran pulse for a good 30 hours.

Ace, don't think I will bother with the achievements but good luck with that lol!

Got to chapter 13 this morning so probably going to do some levelling up for a week or so to get me up to scratch for the final chapter. Actually found the enemies around Eden a lot harder than the boss fights lol! Really looking forward to seeing how the story concludes.... defiantly a highlight of the series this one!

Finished the story earlier today, excellent ending (if a little short by FF standards) but absolutely epic! I agree about the difficulty, the second of three last bosses was extremely tough, managed it on my third attempt after taking a slightly more conservative approach! Was a crazy battle, don't know if you found it the same, but I could reduce its HP by around 50% in the first stagger, then he'd change his attack rhythm and frequency dramatically and tear me to bits lol!

Excellent stuff anyway, got a few weeks until splinter cell so might do a few marks, although I won't do them all!

Finished the story earlier today, excellent ending (if a little short by FF standards) but absolutely epic! I agree about the difficulty, the second of three last bosses was extremely tough, managed it on my third attempt after taking a slightly more conservative approach! Was a crazy battle, don't know if you found it the same, but I could reduce its HP by around 50% in the first stagger, then he'd change his attack rhythm and frequency dramatically and tear me to bits lol!

Excellent stuff anyway, got a few weeks until splinter cell so might do a few marks, although I won't do them all!

It was difficult for me aswell, same as you took me at least 3 tries to defeat his first form.

Should go for them all lol, I'm still trying to do them, ive done about 86% of them but a few that arent 5 stars, got the first 40 with 5 stars, some of the missions are even harder than the final boss.

I'm going to get them all since I won't be getting another game for a while as i was wanting Resonance of Fate thats just came out but dont have the cash!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..