Creating a Bigger Wireless Network

mitch28

Hello, im gonna ask this here before I venture onto one of those computer geeks forums.....

Ive currently got an all in one crappy router from sky that is wireless.... (plugs into my main computer, and allows laptops ps3's etc to pick up the internet)

Firstly.... this router is pants.... I can hardly pick up the internet on my ps3 upstairs.... (to solve this problem I was going to buy http://www.ebuyer.com/product/185148 something like this ... plug one near the router, plug one in my room)

Secondly i'm currently making an office in my back garden.... gonna start doing a bit of freelance work, however the router again isnt powerful enough and I cannot get any signal at all in my garden...... this is my main problem.... what do I do?? Im thinking of going along the lines of a wireless access point?

So to summarise, im probably gonna buy those powerline adapters for my ps3..... buy a new wireless router to replace the one ive got... and a wireless accesss point.

Could anyone help

Cheers

Mitch

Hi m8

I bought 1 of these about a year ago now Netgear Wireless-N Router WNR2000 it worked for us, i hard wired mine and bought an N wireless thing upstairs on lewis pc as now he has no probs racing online, ps3 picks it up up stairs with full stength and the x box, the missus sits up the garden in summer and has no problem on her laptop, and the step-daughter has no problem in her room either, not saying it the best on the market but it works for us :) hope that helps

Hi Budge. thanks for the reply

So you went and brought a better router? Whats a N wireless thing lol?

Hi m8

I bought 1 of these about a year ago now Netgear Wireless-N Router WNR2000 it worked for us, i hard wired mine and bought an N wireless thing upstairs on lewis pc as now he has no probs racing online, ps3 picks it up up stairs with full stength and the x box, the missus sits up the garden in summer and has no problem on her laptop, and the step-daughter has no problem in her room either, not saying it the best on the market but it works for us :) hope that helps

Np's m8

N wireless put out a lot better wireless signals and has far more range than a standard g wireless. this is the usb adaptor for upstairs and racing online, http://www.trustedgoods.com/product_p/wn111.htm and the laptops just work off the in built wireless which is g but with the range of the router (http://www.amazon.co.uk/NetGear-WNR2000-100UKS-Netgear-WNR2000-Wireless-N/dp/B001E1SRZE) it pick it up all round the house, the garden and haven't had a problem,

Hope this helps a bit more.

Somebody will probably tell you that what i use isn't correct but it works for us m8

Np's m8

N wireless put out a lot better wireless signals and has far more range than a standard g wireless. this is the usb adaptor for upstairs and racing online, http://www.trustedgoods.com/product_p/wn111.htm and the laptops just work off the in built wireless which is g but with the range of the router (http://www.amazon.co.uk/NetGear-WNR2000-100UKS-Netgear-WNR2000-Wireless-N/dp/B001E1SRZE) it pick it up all round the house, the garden and haven't had a problem,

Hope this helps a bit more.

Somebody will probably tell you that what i use isn't correct but it works for us m8

So the usb adapter is just for picking up the internet from your router (what the ps3 does but thats all built in)

Whats giving you the decent coverage is the actual N router your using. Your not extending it with an access point are you?

Ill have a look at buying an N router but i still think im going to need an access point or something along those lines!? Anyone else using one of these?

at home or at work?

cheers budge

mitch

PS3 uses it's own built in wireless,

o the usb adapter is just for picking up the internet from your router... Yes

Whats giving you the decent coverage is the actual N router your using...... Yes

Your not extending it with an access point are you? ...... No router is downstairs sitting on the fish tank and send out whatever it does and everything just connects to it's wireless from where ever in the house or garden m8, so at times it can be 2 laptops, 2 ps3's and 1 desktop on the wireless usb, and mine which is hard wired in, and they all work very well from this 1 router.

Edited by Budge313

Afternoon

To get over my issues of having multi items running on the internet you can buy plugs that one go in ya router and then u can plug one anywhere that runs on same electric circuit and it will work.

I have found these plugs very good and never let me down they come with a ethenet cable on each plug so just bosh in back of computer and it picks up and works no worries, i have a garage at bottom of garden that is a fair way from house and i even have internet down there same speed as one on the router and never loose internet.

For me wireless can be so on and off but these plugs always work and apart from a laptop things need to be near a plug to work so just use double plug and hay presto !!

Hope this helps for a different option

jay

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..