PREVIEW: 2011 UKDirt F1 Championship of the World

MoR137

WFGraphic.jpg

The 2011 UK Dirt F1 Championship of the World. 25 laps………… 1 winner………… 1 WORLD CHAMPION!

champ_history.jpg

history_table.jpg

With the league now steeped in history, something that no other league can boast, The World Championship title has been fought over no fewer than 12 times and has produced 11 different champions. TomD (1) became the first driver ever to win the title for a second time just last year at Coventry. Nobody in the history of the league has ever successfully defended the title and TomD will be looking to do this tomorrow night around the tarmac of Northampton.

the_venue.jpg

This is the first time ever that the UK Dirt F1 World Final has been held at Northampton. The track, created by MoR, has produced some fantastic action and held the European Championship on no fewer than three occasions since the rfactor game was created. The venue has produced some fantastic action over the years and it is expected to do the same again on the biggest night of 2011.

meeting_format.jpg

The meeting will start at 8:30pm with everyone meeting in chat at 8:20pm. It is hoped that the meeting will be finished by 10:30pm. If you are not in the Consolation Semi Final or World Final and don’t wish to hang around in chat, then please arrive by 8;50pm, as it hoped that the World Final will finish at about 9:00pm.

Here is the format for the 2011 World Final meeting:

- Consolation Semi Final
- 2011 UK Dirt F1 World Final
- Heats 1 and 2
- Heats 3 and 4
- Consolation
- Final
- Grand National 1
- Grand National 2

consi_semi.jpg

The consolation Semi Final will be the first race of the meeting and will determine the final four qualifiers for the UK Dirt F1 World Championship. The grid will be split into two groups with each group being gridded grades within grades. Should everyone turn up, then the grid would look as follows:

ROW 1: 465 – 130
ROW 2: 172 – 515
ROW 3: 285 – 231
ROW 4: 256 – 231
ROW 5: 31 – 3
***TWO GRADE GAPS***
ROW 6: 4 – 33
ROW 7: 495 – 488
ROW 8: 48 – 588
ROW 9: 164 – 363
ROW 10: 531 – 413
ROW 11: 233 – 561
ROW 12: 188

If someone does not turn up, especially considering a few of those drivers are not paid up members, then each driver will move up the grid. No gaps will be left on the grid. Should any World Finalists fail to turn up, then reserves will be taken from the result of the Consolation Semi Final.

As you can see from the grid, this has the potential to be one very good race and with only 4 places up for grabs, it could be hard fought over. I wonder if you could pick the four qualifiers?

world_finalists.jpg

row1.jpg

01_8.jpg

TOSH #8

WORLD FINAL STATISTICS
Appearances: 3
Best Finish: 6th (Ipswich 2008R)

2011 STATISTICS
National Points Position: 12th
National Points Average: 22.19
Race Wins: 2
Final Wins: 0

2011 NORTHAMPTON FORM
Meetings Attended: 1
Race wins: 0

Tosh's semi final win was a surprise to most because most would have expected Tom to run away with it. However, UKDirt F1s most dominant force found himself pursued relentlessly for many laps by Tosh, who eventually planted the World Champ into a parked car with masterful precision, securing his pole position grid slot for the 2011 World Final. Tosh will be one of the favourites going into the race and will be a tough opponent to catch should he get away and an even tougher opponent when filling your rear view mirror!

02_315.jpg

MIKE #315

WORLD FINAL STATISTICS
Appearances: 6
Best Finish: 2nd (Ipswich 2008H and Coventry 2010R)

2011 STATISTICS
National Points Position: 5th
National Points Average: 26.62
Race Wins: 5

2011 NORTHAMPTON FORM
Meetings Attended: 2

Since his return to the league after a two month hiatus following the UK Open meeting, Mike is back on form and in a great position to claim the F1 gold, a title he so very nearly won in 2010, only losing out to Tom on the final bend. Mike kept a cool head under race-long pressure from DanSkin and MoR in the 2011 Skegness semi final race (which was again decided on the last bend), using his consistent pace and trademark aggressive driving style to secure his row 1 grid slot. Mike will be one of the main favourites to claim the gold roof.

DRIVER’S THOUGHTS

What do you think are your chances in the big race?
Starting on the front row really gives me an advantage, I hope to survive the first few laps and get out in the front of the pack. I hope on a win this year but a top 3 will be good!

If you don't win the big race, who do you think will?
Second row inside... best place to start and he has the pace and race craft to do it.. MoR 137! He could be really into it.

row2.jpg

03_137.jpg

MOR #137

WORLD FINAL STATISTICS
Appearances: 5
Best Finish: 3rd (Coventry 2006H and Ipswich 2008R)

2011 STATISTICS
National Points Position: 6th
National Points Average: 30.72
Race Wins: 8
Final Wins: 1

2011 NORTHAMPTON FORM

MoR has had an excellent season overall and although his form has dipped slightly over recent meetings, many would class him as one of the favourites for the title. Having been involved in a superb Semi Final at Skegness, MoR finds himself in what many consider the ideal grid spot. After defending the UK Open title this season, MoR has shown he can win big races and they don’t come any bigger than this. No one would begrudge this man the title should he cross the line first.

DRIVER’S THOUGHTS

Tarmac is my preferred surface and this is my best ever WF grid slot but I'll need a good break to win as there's a lot of talent around me on the grid. It's been a few years since my last WF podium, so if a win looks off the cards, I'll be aiming for that.

It's hard to look past Tom, after another dominant year and a decent grid slot, but he doesn't always get the breaks in the big races, so who knows! I'd like to see Dan get his second gold and his grid slot looks good for a first bend break up the inside of the inevitable carnage.

04_1.jpg

TOMD #1

WORLD FINAL STATISTICS
Appearances: 4
Best Finish: Champion (Buxton 2009H and Coventry 2010R)

2011 STATISTICS
National Points Position: 1st
National Points Average: 38.2
Race Wins: 20
Final Wins: 8

2011 NORTHAMPTON FORM

The dominant force in UKDirt F1s, Tom looks to have his third consecutive silver roof sewn up and his impressive 2011 form (with no less than 8 grand final wins) suggests he's on track to secure the gold roof for a second year. Tom is consistently the fastest and most aggressive driver in UKDirt F1s and will be almost unbeatable should his opponents let him get far enough away, which will make him a marked man for the big race. However, it takes a lot to trouble Tom, so he will go into this race as the clear favourite.

DRIVER’S THOUGHTS

I think I have a good chance but don't fancy my chances much with being on Row 2 Outside. I will just have to see how the race unfolds. There is a lot of fast lads on Tarmac around me and I haven't had the greatest pace the last few meetings on Tarmac.

This year I think will be either Danskin or MoR. They have shown they have the pace to win and are both in good grid positions. But I wouldn't be surprised if somebody further back on the gird did well. Maybe Dazza, Fasttrack or James could be well up there come the end of the race. I proved last year all you need is a little bit of carnage to get up near the front and to have a chance. Anyway, Good Luck to All competing for the Gold Roof, may the Best Man Win!

row3.jpg

05_151.jpg

DODE #151

WORLD FINAL STATISTICS
Appearances: 1
Best Finish: 16th (Kings Lynn 2009R)

2011 STATISTICS
National Points Position: 3rd
National Points Average: 25.37
Race Wins: 14
Final Wins: 2

2011 NORTHAMPTON FORM
Race wins: 1

2011 has seen a massive improvement in Dode, who showed early signs in the winter series that this would be a year in which he would shine. Holding the superstar grade for the majority of the season and taking an impressive European Championship win at Arena Essex are just two of Dode's achievements which highlight this, with the third being a confident semi final finish to secure row 3 inside for the world final. Not to be underestimated, if Dode gets a break at the front, he could be a serious threat to the gold roof.

DRIVER’S THOUGHTS

Im not too sure on my chances on the big race to be honest, im not too bad round NIR but its one of them tracks you can easily get damage. Aswell as the ammount of good drivers near the front of the grid to even keep up and have a slight chance to pass them will be very hard! I would love to bring the gold back to Scotland but would be very happy with a good top10 finish!

Another hard one to answer! Tom has a great chance to retain the title, been going well all year aswell as Danskin who has been flying all year so has just as good a chance even if hes starting abit further back. With the likes of Mike, Mor and Green in the mix aswell near the front its going to be a hard one to get away from the pack!

06_115.jpg

GREEN #115

WORLD FINAL STATISTICS
Appearances: Debut
Best Finish: N/A

2011 STATISTICS
National Points Position: 13th
National Points Average: 22.29
Race Wins: 6

2011 NORTHAMPTON FORM
Race wins: 1 (Final)

Real-life F2 driver Michael Green surprised many with his impressive semi final drive to claim his third row spot for the world final. Consistent and aggressive and with two tarmac grand final wins to his name (one at NIR), Green is likely to be in the thick of the action for the opening laps of the race and should he a get a break will be a real threat to the podium places.

row4.jpg

07_236.jpg

DANSKIN #236

WORLD FINAL STATISTICS
Appearances:
Best Finish: Champion (Coventry 2004H)

2011 STATISTICS
National Points Position: 2nd
National Points Average: 34.42
Race Wins: 21
Final Wins: 6

2011 NORTHAMPTON FORM

After a few tough seasons, the 2004 F1 World Champion DanSkin is back on form and has established himself as Tom's main threat in the 2011 season. After a fantastic semi final race against Mike and MoR, an unfortunate last bend left Dan in 4th place, crossing the line with just 3 wheels. His misfortune may help him though, as his inside row 4 grid slot puts him in a prime position to be able to dodge some of the first bend carnage and instantly challenge for the lead. Dan is another main favourite to topple Tom's dominance and take his second gold roof, 7 years after his first!

DRIVER’S THOUGHTS

I feel my disagreement with the infield tyres on the last bend of the semi-final has left me with a lot do. But... I'm on the grid and I will be trying! I thought the racing at Northampton earlier in the season was excellent - so if nothing else I hope we see more of the same.

It's very open but I'd expect to see TomD drive away if given the chance. If we see a bit more of a heated battle in the front few rows I'd think MoR would have a very good chance of getting away.

08_39.jpg

LEEK #39

WORLD FINAL STATISTICS
Best Finish: 2nd (Buxton 2009H)

2011 STATISTICS
National Points Position: 9th
National Points Average: 19.57
Race Wins: 4

2011 NORTHAMPTON FORM

LeeK's 2010 World Final performance will be one that sticks in the mind of many - starting from a very similar grid slot to this year, LeeK cut through the huge battles for the lead in the opening laps and went on to the lead the majority of the race. He will be looking to repeat this performance but of course, with him being triumphant this time. LeeK has had quite a quiet season, but that's nothing out of the ordinary for him, but his big race form will be a worry for many; only a fool would write him off.

row5.jpg

09_90.jpg

LIAM #90

WORLD FINAL STATISTICS
Best Finish: N/A

2011 STATISTICS
National Points Position: 17th
National Points Average: 25.11

2011 NORTHAMPTON FORM
Meetings Attended: 0
Race wins: n/a

New to UKDirt F1s in 2011, Liam has been a consistent performer in the meetings he has raced, and always seems to be hanging around the top 5 positions in the big races. He drove a good race in the semi final for a credible 5th place. A top 3 finish will not be out of Liam's grasp, but he will need to drive with his head to make this a reality. Expect a top 5 finish.

DRIVER’S THOUGHTS

well im hoping to finnish in the top 10 but well be pushing for the win , but ive got daveyboy on my back bumper so ill be expecting a big push from him.

Well its between tomD or mike315 but ill go with tomD

10_221.jpg

SPIKE #221

WORLD FINAL STATISTICS
Best Finish: 8th (Coventry 2004H)

2011 STATISTICS
National Points Position: 11th
National Points Average: 13.56
Race Wins: 1

2011 NORTHAMPTON FORM

The hardest hitter in UKDirt F1s reigned back his use of the front bumper for the 2011 Skegness semi final to take a cool 5th place. His mid-pack position will worry a few of the big names nearer the front, with Spike likely to play a role in shaking up the grid from the moment the 'go' is called. Who knows though, perhaps the 'Spike' we saw in the semi final will also be looking to take a credible World Final finish too? Only time will tell, but a top 10 finish will be well within his grasp should he stay out of trouble.

DRIVER’S THOUGHTS

Like the track bumper will in be i think.

Tom or mor i think.

row6.jpg

11_380.jpg

DAVEYBOY #380

WORLD FINAL STATISTICS
Appearances: 3*
Best Finish: Champion (Ipswich 2008H)

2011 STATISTICS
National Points Position: 8th
National Points Average: 19.95

2011 NORTHAMPTON FORM

The 2008 Heat World Champion Daveyboy took the plunge this year and became a regular rFactor racer, and didn't take long to make his mark with 2 grand final wins. His mid-pack grid slot will see him in the thick of the action from the start, but he is more than experienced to deal with it and take a credible top 10 finish.

DRIVER’S THOUGHTS

I would say being on row 6 have a chance to be up there if I can avoid the early carnage but then my only main concern will be tire wear mid way through the race as then I will be finding extremely difficult to keep up and no doubt fall down the placings but I will certainly be trying!

Its between Dan and Tom, both of them have been driving extremely well this year especially Dan, but I think Dan might just take the title of Tom as I think Tom will be a big target to alot of drivers.

12_41.jpg

DRUMBSTICK #41

WORLD FINAL STATISTICS
Appearances:
Best Finish:

2011 STATISTICS
National Points Position: 31st
National Points Average: 27.75
Race Wins: 4

2011 NORTHAMPTON FORM

The 2010 F2 World Champion Drumbstick has made very few appearances in the UKDirt F1s over the last few years, but when he does he always tends to perform well, begging the question how well would he do if he raced consistently like he used to? Drumbs chances in this years World Final would likely be better with more meetings under his belt, but expect him to well up into the top 5 for the majority of the race. If anybody is going to pull off an upset from further down the grid, it'll be Drumb.

DRIVER’S THOUGHTS

Slim, race rusty in an F1 and because of that I lack consistancy

Can’t see beyond Tom if he survives the first couple of laps.

row7.jpg

13_391.jpg

CORNY #391

WORLD FINAL STATISTICS
Appearances: 8
Best Finish: 2nd (Hednesford 2003H and Arena Essex 2005H)

2011 STATISTICS
National Points Position: 7th
National Points Average: 22.95

2011 NORTHAMPTON FORM

2011 looked to be the year that Heat F1s most successful driver might rekindle some of that magic in the rFactor mod, with an early promotion to superstar for the UKDirt veteran. A troubled time at superstar has seen Corny's appearances reduce drastically, and lack of track time possibly led to a disappointing semi final finish. That being said, if Corny's secretly putting in the track time behind the scenes in preparation for this year's World Final, expect him to be challenging for the top 5.

14_262.jpg

HARMEN #262

WORLD FINAL STATISTICS
Appearances: 1
Best Finish: 14th (Coventry 2010R)

2011 STATISTICS
National Points Position: 10th
National Points Average: 16.79
Race Wins: 0

2011 NORTHAMPTON FORM

One of UKDirt F1s most controversial characters, big-hitter Harmen takes up outside row 7. He is likely to be in the thick of the action during the early laps of the race. Harmen can keep up with the top guys when he races with his head, so it'll be interesting to see whether he gets chance to do this. A top 10 is likely if he does.

row8.jpg

15_290.jpg

DAZZA #290

WORLD FINAL STATISTICS
Appearances: 3
Best Finish: Champion (Kings Lynn 2009R)

2011 STATISTICS
National Points Position: 37th
National Points Average: 25.5
Race Wins: 1

2011 NORTHAMPTON FORM

The 2009 World Champion and 2010 British Champion Dazza has made very few appearances this year; when he has, he has had some decent results but nothing close to his more dominant form from previous seasons. If Dazza has been putting in the laps behind the scenes, he may manage to break into the top 5 or even a podium, but from so far back on the grid he has it all do.

DRIVER’S THOUGHTS

Not the greatest, Row 8 probably isnt the best, however having an inside run into the first few corners could see a few positions being changed. Tom won from way back the grid last year so it's not impossible but to be honest seeing as I've only done 2 meetings all year I may be a little race rusty so anywhere in the top 6 would be an achievement I feel. If I can go stealth mode and stay un-noticed, its a realistic target.

I get the feeling, looking at results it's going to be DanSkin's day once again but the grid is packed with quality drivers near the front so anyone could potentially win it. I would like to see Tosh, MoR or Dan win it as they all deserve it but Tom is looking as good as ever and Mike proved last year how good he is when he came so close. There will be others to watch out for as outsiders such as Dode and Corny so it's all shaping up well for a cracking,hard hitting race. Best of luck to all.

16_527.jpg

FASTTRACK #527

WORLD FINAL STATISTICS
Appearances: 2
Best Finish: 15th (Kings Lynn 2009R and Coventry 2010R)

2011 STATISTICS
National Points Position: 33rd
National Points Average: 22.75
Race Wins: 0

2011 NORTHAMPTON FORM

Fasttrack missed the first half of the 2011 season, but now he is back and looking as consistent as ever, with a very credible average. Another driver who can lap as fast as the top drivers in the league, expect Fasttrack to climb through the top 10 places as the race begins to settle down.

DRIVER’S THOUGHTS

My Chances in the World Final race are slim, from starting on the 8th row for me to have a chance on winning is all about the start and trying to make up alot of places while everyone are ramming eachother into the fence and hopefully some spin and not get me but with all the other fast drivers i will be happy with top 10 but very satisfied with a top 5.

The driver i will go for will be Danskin because he has shown big inprovements from last year and is already British Champion and with being a very fast and consistant driver but he will have to watch the other fast driver

row9.jpg

17_300.jpg

MATTY #300

WORLD FINAL STATISTICS
Best Finish: n/a

2011 STATISTICS
National Points Position: 16th
National Points Average: 14.29
Race Wins: 3

2011 NORTHAMPTON FORM

Matty has really settled into UKDirt F1s this year, now holding blue grade with two shale Grand Final wins under his belt. Way back on row 9 of the grid, Matty will need to push hard to make places but will be more than capable of breaking into the top 10.

18_365.jpg

TRAVEL #365

WORLD FINAL STATISTICS
Appearances: 5
Best Finish: 4th (Bradford 2001D)

2011 STATISTICS
National Points Position: 27th
National Points Average: 8.19
Race Wins: 3

2011 NORTHAMPTON FORM

Travel is a UK Dirt veteran who is a joy to have on the race tracks when he is in race mode. He is one of those drivers that has the potential to do anything. He can be fantastic and win at one meeting and be a pain and want to break the rules at the next. This season has been a mixed season with the Irish Open Championship meeting being the highlight. A good Semi Final result sees him on the World Final grid with the potential to move forward and achieve a good result.

row10.jpg

19_525.jpg

MAVERICK #525

WORLD FINAL STATISTICS
Appearances: 4
Best Finish: 7th (Coventry 2004H)

2011 STATISTICS
National Points Position: 20th
National Points Average: 11.73
Race Wins: 2

2011 NORTHAMPTON FORM

Maverick is another veteran of the UK Dirt raceways. Having helped his son settle into the league, Maverick clearly thought it was time he pulled his finger out and qualified for the big race and that he did after some confusion over how many qualified via the Semi Final. He will come into the race with very few expectations and this should mean that he will enjoy the race and his first taste of an rfactor World Final.

DRIVER’S THOUGHTS

ZERO!! Everytime I think about it, I feel that I don't want to be in it! I haven't been in a rFactor World Final before, so this is new territory for me. It should be a good race between the first few rows and I don't want to be mixed up with them and do something stupid and ruin or end someones chance in the race. Neither do I want to be tuttling around the outside to let lapping cars pass. NIR is not one of my strong tarmac tracks so all I can hope for is to have a steady race ending with the best finish I could dream of which is 10th to 15th. My other main aim would be to finish higher than Mav_Jnr should he make it onto the grid via the Consi Semi.

There is so much that can happen with the drivers on the grid, but I think one person who seems to be able to ride anything thrown at him will end up triumphant. And thats Tom #1. Some drivers may feel the need to stop other drivers and thus ruling themselves out of the race, and causing problems for those around them; this race will not be decided until the winner crosses the line and that won't necessarily be the driver who started the last lap in first!!!!

20_560.jpg

DODGE #560

WORLD FINAL STATISTICS
Best Finish: n/a

2011 STATISTICS
National Points Position: 14th
National Points Average: 22.92

2011 NORTHAMPTON FORM

Dodge rejoined the league in 2011 having last raced way back in 2001. Since rejoining, he has shown that he has the ability to mix it with the best I the league, quickly graduating to superstar based mainly on solid tarmac performances. Dodge is not afraid to use the bumper and this will be essential if he is to make forward progress early in the race. A definite contender for a top 10 finish.

DRIVER’S THOUGHTS

From this far back on the grid im not expecting too much!, maybe if there is some carnage i might be able to get a top 10.

Go to be either 1 or 236, unless they are dealt with early on, then maybe 137 or 315.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NON-WORLD FINALIST’S THOUGHTS

STOXJACK #249

Who do you think will win the big race?
Since joining the league around 2 months ago for the F1 Stockcars I have raced with some quality drivers that are well up the grid in this years world final. TomD current world champion has to be the favourite to win and is a deserved winner. He races every week and always seems to be the quickest on track but there is alot to challenge him. I have had some brilliant races with Tosh 8 and would like to see him in with a good chance of taking it. Liam 90, Mor 137, Dode 151 and Mike 115 with most certainly be ones to watch out for though to sneak through.

JOHNO #3

Who do you think will win the big race?
I think it is so hard to call as this could be the best grid of cars we have had for years. I know I say that every year to try and build up the race, but most of the big names are at the front of the grid with a smattering of quality drivers in the middle of the pack. If I had to choose though, I think I would have to go with TomD. I have never been a big fan of his driving style but he gets the job done and has a knack of getting through trouble, no matter how bad it is!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well there you have it; a comprehensive look at the 2011 UK DIRT F1 CHAMPIONSHIP OF THE WORLD. Why not try to leave us your top 10?

Good luck to everyone in the race. May the best man win on the night!

Cheers

The UK Dirt F1 Admin Team

I forgot to drop a note at the bottom of this - this preview was a team effort, so don't forget to thank the whole team for their hard work :)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..