Grade changes

minitom

As an admin team we agree with you spike, and its the reason the new grades are not out yet. We have been exploring all the options to try and even things out a bit but there seems to be no straightforward answer.

We have a couple of real issues, but the main problem seems to be a number of drivers racing all the time from the lower grades going up and then not doing 50% of the meetings so we cannot downgrade them. Now I am not saying people shouldn't pick and choose the meeting they want to do but it does make the gradings look a bit one sided, especially at championship meeting.

Anyway grades should be up in a bit

I say scrap the 50% rule and apply some common sense and graders discretion. its usually pretty obvious if someone is under or overgraded

I am happy to have an open discussion about this, I have attached the final page of the grading spreadsheet to the grade changes thread. If you would like to suggest some things that should have been different and some different rules around it. One thing I will say is we probably won't make radical changes to the rules in season, but we can improve things for next season.

One thing I did think was we could have a mid season grading change based on this theory although the number of meetings would have to be decided.

Some more quick thoughts on this, I know the booking list will change a bit but the numbers should not change too much(sample taken at 11:30).

At present tonight’s booking list looks like this

SS 5

Reds 10

Blues 11

Yellow 3

White 4

The total number of drivers who have raced this year by grade is

SS 6

Red 15 + 2 banned

Blue 19

Yellow 13

White 24

That means the eligible number of drivers as a percentage booked in tonight is

SS 83%

Red 66%

Blues 57%

Yellow 23%

White 16%

I think these numbers show us two things

1.) As mentioned above we don't have enough yellow graded drivers because we struggle to downgrade people.

2.) We need to find a way to encourage lower grade drivers to race.

I am not sure how we tackle point 1 but encouraging more lower grade drivers is something we need and always try to do but it appears we have not been overly successful.

Few ideas I had, and I would be interested in comments especially from the lower grade drivers

A.) Have a W&Y race before every meeting and do a monthly championship. This would not replace the yearly championship as one round would be designated for that each month.

B.) If we were getting enough W&Y the race above could be run as heat 1, giving lower graders more of a chance to qualify for the final.

C.) Have a set-up posted the week before from a red or SS. This would not have to be the fastest but stable an competitive

as a white grader i am more than happy to race any meeting regardless of any w+y races

however i do not know if actively encouraging lower graders is possibly the best route(especially given the proposal of a race that blue and above cant do) i see the closed to grade races will only see averages pushed up from the low end and you ending up with even more blues and reds.

it would seem to me the main issue is blue and red drivers not doing enough meetings to come down?

would it make more sense to encourage the top end of the field to turn out enough to be eligible for a grade change?

i know what i have said may seem counter intuitive to most but i felt i should throw my 2 cents into this

also the 16% booking from white grade.

how many of the 24 that have raced are still active racers, due to the large amount of white roofs turning up once and never being seen again

just wondering if the figures are quite as damning on that as the appear at a glance?

also the 16% booking from white grade.

how many of the 24 that have raced are still active racers, due to the large amount of white roofs turning up once and never being seen again

just wondering if the figures are quite as damning on that as the appear at a glance?

Of those 24 whites

6 have only attended once

16(66%) have done less than 5 meetings

Interestingly we are now up to 7 whites booked for tonight which is 29% of those avaliable.

For context 6(46%) of the 13 yellows have done less than 5 meetings

Edited by drumbstick

as a white grader i am more than happy to race any meeting regardless of any w+y races

however i do not know if actively encouraging lower graders is possibly the best route(especially given the proposal of a race that blue and above cant do) i see the closed to grade races will only see averages pushed up from the low end and you ending up with even more blues and reds.

it would seem to me the main issue is blue and red drivers not doing enough meetings to come down?

would it make more sense to encourage the top end of the field to turn out enough to be eligible for a grade change?

i know what i have said may seem counter intuitive to most but i felt i should throw my 2 cents into this

i pretty much agree with this,

we have had this issue before with top heavy grids (when aub was admin i think) we had to be pretty radical to level it then from then on people only ever went up if someone came down etc so 2 go up to red 2 have to come down and so on, regardless of if people may be undergraded, (thats what the final win upgrade is for)

I am a lower grader who only races F2 occasionally, not because I,m no good and dont enjoy it, but i do have to pick the tracks more carefully, shale I cant do yet end of. Tarmac tracks only those I fell I wont ruin anyone else,s night and at least get some enjoyment out of the meeting.

Therefore Graders discretion is the better way to go drop the 50% rule.

Automatic upgrades? Win two heats from white/yellow upto yellow/blue before Final?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..