Puzzle

Crazy Craig

A puzzle for you all.... hope i can explain it OK.

Three people (lets call them Tom, Dick & Harry) go to a restuarant. At the end of the night, the bill comes to £30 exactly. So, they decide to split the bill equally and pay £10 each. So they pay the waitress who goes to put the money through the till. However, just as she is about to do so, the manager comes over to her and says that there has been a mistake, and the bill is actually only £25.

So the waitress takes the £5 change to Tom, Dick & Harry. They decide to split the change equally and take £1 each, and leave the remaining £2 as a tip for the waitress. So, Tom has effectively paid £9, and so have Dick & Harry. Fair enough.

So then, 3 X £9 = £27. The waitress had a £2 tip, so £27 + £2 = £29. So, what happened to the other £1?  shrug.gif

Thats Radio1 for you at 6:30 in the morning, hope I wrote it OK to understand!

CC

coffee.gif

Edited by Crazy Craig

it went to vat man no doubt,

um dunno where last 1 quid went but working back it 25 quid for meal + 3 Quid they get back from manger for tom dick and harry so it comes 28 quid.

28 divided by 3 comes to something like 9 pounds and 33p each for the meal and 67p to Waitress from each person 10 quid.

The quid never disappears, it just lost in your explination i guess or added to bill as 25 ain't divideable by 3 and nor is 2 quid that waitress gets, or not as clear cut.

So then, 3 X £9 = £27.

26523[/snapback]

£27 is made up of £25 meal and £2 tip, they each received £1 in change so :

£25 meal + £2 Tip + £3 change = £30

I think you were tricked into thinking that £27 was the total cost of the meal, yet were then told to add another £2 for the waitress.

shrug.gif

agree with PB - 525:

Tom, Dick & Harry paid (3 X £9 =) £27 for all (meal £25 + tip £2 (= £27))

working it back from the £30 they give first:

£30 - £3 (change) = £27       £27 - £2 (tip) = £25 (meal)

Edited by Frits392

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..