Making/Applying Floor Textures in 3D Max

Rikard

I was asked by Tombo how to make floor textures in 3D Max, i dunno how everyone else does them but im gonna show my way.

Firstly, for easy of use i use the Reflective Floor someone kindly made for us, if you havn't got it click on the link below, iv also included a "Dirt Floor" texture to get you started.

[attachmentid=5363]

Open it up in 3D Max, im using 3D Max 8, if your using a different version im sure it will be the same.

Once open you should see somthing like this

[attachmentid=5351]

Then, highlight the floor, once the floor is selected, press "M" on your keybord, that will bring up the Material Editor

[attachmentid=5352]

Select any of the objects on the top box, iv used the Green one,

Then find "Maps" on the options below, click it if you can't see the selection (shown in screen shot below)

Tick the "Diffuse Colour" box, then click on the box i have highlighted with the yellow lines,

[attachmentid=5353]

Then this should come up,

[attachmentid=5354]

Click on the "Bitmap" box

[attachmentid=5355]

Then double click on the "Bitmap" on the list

[attachmentid=5364]

That should bring up a window for you to select your .bmp image, in this case, a grass texture, then click "Open"

[attachmentid=5357]

Then you should see the texture rapped around the object. Then you click the two buttons iv highlighted in red

[attachmentid=5358]

Then you should see somthing like this below

If the Texture looks really stretched, you will have to tile it to increase the detail, to tile a texture adjust the options in the section iv highlighted with the red square, when your happy with the tiling click the red cross iv indicated.

[attachmentid=5361]

Thats the texture applied to the floor, if you play around with the lighting and render it you should hopfully have a nice grassy field like this

[attachmentid=5362]

Then add a few cows and its finished lol

You can use any texture you want, iv used a dirt texture before that looked quite good

You can use any texture you can find, just remeber it must be a .bmp file, but if it isn't you can easily convert it, the best place to find textures (apart from a texture site wich you have to pay for some) best place is good old Google Images

I hope this has helped you out, if you have any questions or problems, just add a reply to this thread and i or somone will help you further.

:checkeredflag: Rikard :checkeredflag:

post-775-1143582283_thumb.jpg

post-775-1143582432_thumb.jpg

post-775-1143582730_thumb.jpg

post-775-1143582849_thumb.jpg

post-775-1143582947_thumb.jpg

post-775-1143583097_thumb.jpg

post-775-1143583360_thumb.jpg

post-775-1143583764_thumb.jpg

post-775-1143583876.jpg

Relfective_floor.zip

post-775-1143585283_thumb.jpg

Edited by Rikard

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

I was asked by Tombo how to make floor textures in 3D Max, i dunno how everyone else does them but im gonna show my way.

Firstly, for easy of use i use the Reflective Floor someone kindly made for us, if you havn't got it click on the link below, iv also included a "Dirt Floor" texture to get you started.

[attachmentid=5363]

Open it up in 3D Max, im using 3D Max 8, if your using a different version im sure it will be the same.

Once open you should see somthing like this

[attachmentid=5351]

Then, highlight the floor, once the floor is selected, press "M" on your keybord, that will bring up the Material Editor

[attachmentid=5352]

Select any of the objects on the top box, iv used the Green one,

Then find "Maps" on the options below, click it if you can't see the selection (shown in screen shot below)

Tick the "Diffuse Colour" box, then click on the box i have highlighted with the yellow lines,

[attachmentid=5353]

Then this should come up,

[attachmentid=5354]

Click on the "Bitmap" box

[attachmentid=5355]

Then double click on the "Bitmap" on the list

[attachmentid=5364]

That should bring up a window for you to select your .bmp image, in this case, a grass texture, then click "Open"

[attachmentid=5357]

Then you should see the texture rapped around the object. Then you click the two buttons iv highlighted in red

[attachmentid=5358]

Then you should see somthing like this below

If the Texture looks really stretched, you will have to tile it to increase the detail, to tile a texture adjust the options in the section iv highlighted with the red square, when your happy with the tiling click the red cross iv indicated.

[attachmentid=5361]

Thats the texture applied to the floor, if you play around with the lighting and render it you should hopfully have a nice grassy field like this

[attachmentid=5362]

Then add a few cows and its finished lol

You can use any texture you want, iv used a dirt texture before that looked quite good

You can use any texture you can find, just remeber it must be a .bmp file, but if it isn't you can easily convert it, the best place to find textures (apart from a texture site wich you have to pay for some) best place is good old Google Images

I hope this has helped you out, if you have any questions or problems, just add a reply to this thread and i or somone will help you further.

:checkeredflag: Rikard :checkeredflag:

I cant follow it.

I.ve downloaded the zip file ( reflected floor).

I.m starting up 3dsmax(7)

and then.........???????????????

in wich folder should i put the floor.........????

please help me

I want to make some renders of brisca legends standing on a reflected floor.

HELPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP

Ok, once you have downloaded the file, you will need to unzip it using Winzip.

If you open the folder you will see something like this, one way to open up the reflective floor is to double click on the icon labelled "reflective floor" I have highlighted it with the red arrow. Double click that and it should open it up.

[attachmentid=10845]

If you already have 3D Max open and running, you can open the reflective floor, (in max on the top) click File ---> Open

You will then see this come up..

[attachmentid=10846]

Click on the down arrow highlighted, then find the location of the reflective floor, it will probably be on the Desktop, when you find it double click on it and it will open.

But say for example that you already have a 3d max file with your legends car in, and you want to add the reflective floor to the existing scene, to do that, again at the top of the screen click File --> Then click "Merge" Then, in the same way as i explained before find the file and double click it.

Then you will see this screen..

[attachmentid=10847]

First click "All" that will select "Omni01" and "Plane02" then click the OK button. That will merge (add) the reflective floor and the lighting to the current scene.

Hope that answers your question, if not then ask again :thumbs_up:

post-775-1162558429.jpg

post-775-1162558661.jpg

post-775-1162558979.jpg

Ok, once you have downloaded the file, you will need to unzip it using Winzip.

If you open the folder you will see something like this, one way to open up the reflective floor is to double click on the icon labelled "reflective floor" I have highlighted it with the red arrow. Double click that and it should open it up.

[attachmentid=10845]

If you already have 3D Max open and running, you can open the reflective floor, (in max on the top) click File ---> Open

You will then see this come up..

[attachmentid=10846]

Click on the down arrow highlighted, then find the location of the reflective floor, it will probably be on the Desktop, when you find it double click on it and it will open.

But say for example that you already have a 3d max file with your legends car in, and you want to add the reflective floor to the existing scene, to do that, again at the top of the screen click File --> Then click "Merge" Then, in the same way as i explained before find the file and double click it.

Then you will see this screen..

[attachmentid=10847]

First click "All" that will select "Omni01" and "Plane02" then click the OK button. That will merge (add) the reflective floor and the lighting to the current scene.

Hope that answers your question, if not then ask again :thumbs_up:

there's a little problem here,

when i open up the reflected floor in max, i'll get the following message:

IPB Image

If that doesnt work Rik perhaps you could save it as a .3ds file so that it can be imported, just make sure you save the Max textures onto it :rolleyes:

Dazza

My "modifications" were exporting it, then saving it as a scean again lol

but here is the .3ds aswell

[attachmentid=10937]

reflective_floor_2_import.zip

it wont work.

when i click "open" the following message apears.

IPB Image

hmmmm, i'm not sure what the problem is,

Try downloading this floor, its the same but i modified somthing

[attachmentid=10935]

the same problem with this download!

I dont understand!!!

Whats going wrong here ?

The scene is for max8 and Eus is using max7.

correct.

I'm using Max 7.

The only thing i want, is to render some Bl.cars myself, standing on a mirror floor.

I thought it would me easy, but i guess, i'm wrong about that.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..