Home Networking

Hair624

Basically we want two pcs rigged up to broadband...

I know we could use a router, but my parents would prefer putting a telephone line from my room to the phone line an we share the phone line...

will this work?

Thanx in Advance

Basically we want two pcs rigged up to broadband...

I know we could use a router, but my parents would prefer putting a telephone line from my room to the phone line an we share the phone line...

will this work?

Thanx in Advance

6896[/snapback]

i think that setup would need 2 microfilter boxes and 2 modems m8 - not sure how yr ISP would deal with the dual feed either.

(i can't really comment seeing as our home network still isnt fixed but.....) either using a router with the modem plugged into it or using the ICS sharing protocols with a 'host' connected to the modem 'should' work equally well - the only downside with ICS is that the host needs to be on to allow the 2nd machine to use the connection.

best wishes ......... Wrighty

i think that setup would need 2 microfilter boxes and 2 modems m8 - not sure how yr ISP would deal with the dual feed either.

(i can't really comment seeing as our home network still isnt fixed but.....) either using a router with the modem plugged into it or using the ICS sharing protocols with a 'host' connected to the modem 'should' work equally well - the only downside with ICS is that the host needs to be on to allow the 2nd machine to use the connection.

best wishes ......... Wrighty

6897[/snapback]

cheers mate, will get on the case - routers are pretty inexpensive

Well hair, i have a 1.5 mb connection via ntl which i share with 2 housemates-we have a wireless connection (correct connect?) and i have the connection to myself 4 f2's on a monday night and i still warp occasionally !!!(as i'm sure various people will tell you 3.gif ) and i've followed all the advice on the tweaking guide too!

As pedz put it on monday-bin the wireless! 2.gif

I had mine set up with a 4 port hub(not the same as a router) The 'main' PC had 2 network cards(one for modem(although you can use USB), one for hub).

Then use internet connection sharing to allow the 2nd PC to connect over the LAN through the hub.

Ethernet cables are the ones to connect to the network card and Modem/hub/router.

Edited by jamieg285

thanx for your words of widsom, but if i use the current set up i was planning on using - can i still use internet - but only me at that time?

and if i get a router (non wireless) and connect my parents pc and my pc to it we can both use net at same time.

thanx for your words of widsom, but if i use the current set up i was planning on using - can i still use internet - but only me at that time?

and if i get a router (non wireless) and connect my parents pc and my pc to it we can both use net at same time.

6904[/snapback]

in theory both methods will allow both machines to connect to the net at the same time m8, but the first option needs double the hardware as previously described i think.

2.gif ............... Wrighty

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..