1300 Stocker Breaks both Legs at Arena

Magpye105

I was horrified to hear that in his first meeting in the car, Lee(??) Andrews racing my old 1300 Polo for the first time since he bought it from me 12 months ago had a bad accident, and I have been told that he broke both his legs in the accident. Looking at the photos online on Matt Bull's Website you can see that the cause of the accident was being speared into the fence, which looking at the photos broke the front end welds. Looking at the excellent series of photos that Matt Bull took, Andrews rolled several times down the home straight, looking like he managed to do the whole length of it. It didn't help being hit whilst on roof on the drivers door by 698. Looking at where he had come from why did he not avoid it like his team mate in 697 who was right behind him.

My thoughts go out to Andrews, as since I heard the news earlier in the week I've thought that could and probably would have been me, had I taken the car to last years Spedeweekend. Makes you think about buying a old second hand stock car that looks solid, but when needed the welding fails.

If anyone knows this guy, and knows how he is, please let me know.

post-202-1151643464.jpg

post-202-1151643478.jpg

post-202-1151643493.jpg

post-202-1151643514.jpg

last sunday at arena i saw the car after the crash and heard all about it as i only saw it upside down ,but after when it was on four wheels again i saw the man moving about. it looked bad from the crowd but in the pits the car was wrecked badly he took a hit from all angles. all of the inside had crumpled and the pedles were up in the bulkhead,the steering wheel it took a couple of seconds to see where it was.

all the bars inside looks like they bent and crushed his legs but im not sure.

hope hes ok now :thumbs_up: and makes a fast recovery.

cheerz tombo509

hi,

This was probably the worst crash ive ever seen

The 697 car T-boned 630 which caused it to roll twicethen the 698 starlet had no time to react thus smacking it square on the roof

The stoppage was about an hour and looking at the car afterwards the side-irons had come in and were about 3 foot inside the cockpit.

I was told that if it was any other car on the track that got hit, it would of ended the same way, I hope he makes a full recovery and hasnt lost his bottle, although I wouldnt blame him.

all PRI stock car drivers are donating there winnings from the next meeting to help him on his road to recovery

• 2 weeks later...

Got an email through last night from Matt Bull.....

It was a horrendous crash but to be honest I dont think his injury was caused by a particularly bad weld or anything like that. The initial clash which saw him in the fence on the home straight was quite a light impact and he was trying to free himself from the other car. His inexperience meant that he swung out at right angles to the approaching traffic and Delbert 697 just hammered him directly in the drivers door at full speed. In short it was the worst possible impact at the most vulnerable part of any car. Obviously the car then tumbling didnt help the driver and the helping hand from 698 just compounded his trouble.

Delbert 697 also had to be helped from his car but thankfully he was just winded.

Just thought it may help to know the full circumstances. Such an impact on any car would probably have similar consequences unfortunately.

Regards

Matt

I've known a few drivers over the years to break both legs, (mainly in head-on type collisions with soild objects), and imagine it's not a very nice experience. I hope he makes a speedy recovery and manages to get back racing soon. Such a shame whenever anything like this happens to a driver at their 1st meeting.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..