Nick M's new modeling guide?

vivadave

Thanks Nick, might take you up on that, see how things go....

Need a good side on photo of "something" to get me started, start with the small fish, nothing to complexed....i'm sure there's plenty of photo's to be had on google....

I'm i right in thinking i'll need square on photo's of both sides, front and rear of the car to be modeled?

Cheers again

Vivadave169.... :2:

you defiantly need square on photos of the front and rear, you only necessarily need a square on photo of one side, as cars are symmetrical, and it will be easier making a template if you are using just one side. :thumbs_up:

Well had a quick go here at the modeling, and i have rather a long way to go lol....

I guess i used too many plots, also i must have gaps between my plots or something like that....

I know its my 1st go, but going pear shaped in the early stages, any help Nick or anyone can offer would be great, mainly on the plotting side (or anything)....

Can you use different cars for the same model as long as the car is identical the make and model?

Cheers

Vivadave169....

post-708-1154972589_thumb.jpg

You need to use more verts to more accurately follow the shape of the car and you haven't quite mastered the creating the faces part lol imagine that the faces you create are pieces of a jigsaw that when put together creates an exact shape profile of the side of the car, those faces (or jigsaw pieces) would not want to overlap, their edges should butt against each other, it's difficult to explain but with practice you will get there, keep it up.

Cheers for that Nick, yes, as i said a long way to go yet and i'll keep practising till i get something decent....

Is the car i have choosen ok in your opinion? and the pic of the car ok?

Can you use different cars for the same model as long as the car is identical the make and model?

:2: Cheers....

Vivadave169.... :thumbup:

Small steps eh.... :unsure:

Learning a bit more today, extruding, do you + or - to extrude, i used the + to get what you can see, cutting the windows out looks tricky to do....

Looks nothing like the car in the photo as yet BMW 325i MTec, but work in progess.... :coffee:

Any comments or tips Nick (or anyone).... :2:

post-708-1155054185_thumb.jpg

you've extruded in the correct direction but you need to only select the edges that 'need' to be extruded ie: the edges around the outside of the shape, the edges that will make the bonnet,boot,roof,rear panels,floor etc.

Also, the edges that will create the roof and door pillars should be extruded seperately as they don't need to be extruded very much.

Edited by Nick M48

Cheers again Nick, so whats the easiest way to select each part that need to be extruded, ie selecting just the outside of the model? rather than the complete model which seems to happen....

Cheers again M8.... :2:

Nick - Can you suggest a good starter car to model? Even if its a previously modelled car.

As Sparky says, the more boxy the car, the easier it is to model, a car with a boot will be easier than an estate type as you then dont have to model the inside of the boot area which can sometimes be tricky to get looking right.

It's probably a good idea to model a car that we all ready have a template for, for your 1st model, that way you don't have the problem of making a template too, get that modelled, mapped and in game and you will have learn't an awful lot, your next model will be much much easier.

Sparky, thats looking good, well done :thumbs_up:

PS. This months PC Format magazine has a basic explanation of modelling a car and getting it in games such as rFactor and GTA San Andreas, could be worth a read, it's a great magazine anyway :thumbs_up:

Cheers again Nick, so whats the easiest way to select each part that need to be extruded, ie selecting just the outside of the model? rather than the complete model which seems to happen....

Make sure you are working at the Edit mesh 'Edges' sub-object level then by clicking 'Select Open Edges' it should automatically select all the correct edges for you, you will need to de-select the door pillar edges by holding down 'Alt' and clicking on them as you don't want to extrude them at the same time, if that method doesn't work for you, you'll have to select the correct edges manually, holding down 'Ctrl' whilst clicking will add an edge to your current selection.

Im sure Nick uses 3 and 6 but all versions of max have the same principles, maybe just the layout is slightly different. They say that the later versions of max are better then the earlier ones but I have used 3, 4 and 8 and there really isnt alot of difference in them.

The new Capri I have modelled was started in max 8, when I was happy with the model and made any changes, I exported the model from Max into a .3ds file so I could import it into Max 3 so that I could put it in game. I have made a slightly less detailed tutorial (if you can call it a tutuorial) on www.bangerskins.cjb.net that may be of some use in the order in which to do things, they may or may not be right the right way but they seem to work alright for me.

Have you added the tutorial to your site yet Daz as i cant find it.... :banghead2:

Cheers m8.... :2:

Thats is Mitch's site mate, not that it makes any difference

Ok, when on the homepage, go to Dazza's workshop. Then click on 'How the 280c was made' and it should show up the steps I take to do a car

Dazza

Hi again Nick, i'm improving on following the shape of the car, and can extrude the main part of the car ok, its when i come to the ChamferBox bit and fitting it into the window, my box is flat and not 3D like yours, so making it imposible to fit in the rear window.

Any help please....

I'm working on a MK1 fiesta, nice and square, plus i used to own one years ago....

Vivadave169.... :2:

All I can say is keep trying, you will get there in the end, I can't really add any more than whats in the tutorial. If you still can't figure it out, post up a pic of what you have and an explanation of exactly what you did and I should be able to tell you where you are going wrong. :thumbs_up:

Oh Gawd, getting fustrated with this, but not gonna give up, there must be something minor i'm missing here, or something not selected or checked right.... :banghead2:

Heres 3 pics of what i see when i have plotted, make the faces and extruded, still doesnt look a solid object like in nicks guide....

I am enjoying this really lol

Any help please would be great so i can move on to the next step.... :thumbup:

Here goes.... :o

post-708-1155830163_thumb.jpg

post-708-1155830183_thumb.jpg

post-708-1155830261_thumb.jpg

Thats looking 100% better :thumbs_up:

After you've got to the stage in picture 3 above, switch to 'face sub-object' mode, select all of the faces on your car, scroll down the edit mesh menu and click 'flip' that should fix your inside out problem. If it still doesn't look right, let me know.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..