net connection problems

dangerous damo

just read the post below but my problem is slightly different. at times my internet connection goes and then comes back on about a minute later. then it will cut out and says the dns server is unreachable then after ten minutes will reconnect again. im on aol platinum 8mb broadband if this helps. cheers, damo.

just read the post below but my problem is slightly different. at times my internet connection goes and then comes back on about a minute later. then it will cut out and says the dns server is unreachable then after ten minutes will reconnect again. im on aol platinum 8mb broadband if this helps. cheers, damo.

I work for AOL tech support mate.

What Voyager modem is it?

Might not be connected as I am on NTL 4mb, and I live within 20 miles of Damo, but my connection goes down at about 8pm every night. I have to unplug my modem power lead and re-connect it. I am then back online.

NTL say I have a strong connection and Budge's internet test confirms that.

Nightmare when in chat as I get disconnected or in praccy and it goes :(

I just wondered you see Allan as I have sky plus was always recording the speedway on a Monday evening and always losing my connection.

I now unplug sky from the phone line altogether on a Monday and touch wood, no disco for last 2 weeks!

Having said that things will probably go belly up now!

Watto,Sky boxes even when filtered can still be a problem on adsl,sticking a second filter inline often helps,just remember to stick the modem on the filter closest to the socket.

Watto,Sky boxes even when filtered can still be a problem on adsl,sticking a second filter inline often helps,just remember to stick the modem on the filter closest to the socket.

If someone phoned me 2 filters inline i would laugh at them :) Thats worse than no sockets but still works at times.

Be safe rather than sorry watto, just keep it unplugged while racing, it affects your ADSL even with filters at times but shouldn't.

2 filters inline is a common fix for sky boxes surprised you do not suggest it.

Not on our network its not, 2 filters is pretty much a nono, if it isn't strictly 1 filter per telephone socket we will not support it. I understand why 2 filters would work but thats just the way they work it.

I work for AOL tech support mate.

What Voyager modem is it?

hi mate the original router is a thomson speedtouch 576 but that started playing up so we now use a netgear dg834g v.2 router. the original broadband modem which is a bt voyager 105 has the same problem. also i dont have sky plus and have a filter on each phone socket. cheers, damo.

Hmm i usually find disconnections are either viruses/spyware on the machine, or a fault on the line.

To get a line test you will need to go through to Level 2 support and have a One Shot Check done on the line. You can try pretend you phoned before and just say you need an escalation to Level 2 as you have previously called. Otherwise you can just go through some checks and then they will escalate it.

You will need to be plugged into the master socket to have that done.

If it helps, I know of at least seven people who have moved away from aol in the last week!!

Aol is a great idea, BUT it takes over your computer and can make all kinds of weird things happen!

I have Sky+ (what a load of bs, it never works as it should!) and that doesn't effect my broadband connection.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..