best server provider

jamesy

Whatever you do DON'T go with virgin.net-NTL were fantastic when i was with them.

I've just changed to them and i find my connection randomly just disconnects!!

Allan268 works for an ISP on a help desk (i think) so might be a good person 2 ask.

OT-Allan-why do they call it a HELP desk anyway????

Edited by kendo912

Whatever you do DON'T go with virgin.net-NTL were fantastic when i was with them.

I've just changed to them and i find my connection randomly just disconnects!!

Allan268 works for an ISP on a help desk (i think) so might be a good person 2 ask.

OT-Allan-why do they call it a HELP desk anyway????

I wish it was a help desk i worked at mate, im just a SLAVE for AOL technical support.

Best adsl provider is hard to say. I would recommend Wannadoo and BT. One thing i will say about providers is, you only get what you pay for. If it seems to good to be true, like sky and talktalk, then it is.

I pay £45 a month for a 10mb connection, because i would crack up with a crap connection.

Edited by Allan268

Looking at reviews for each of the ISP i think it seems to be a bit hit and miss for people-some users saying its the best thing since sliced bread and others saying "avoid this ISP at all costs".

On a question of the ISP 's that have a GB monthly usage limit - such as BT -if i was online gaming for 4 hours on a friday night, 4 hours on a sunday and maybe 6 hours on a monday night plus using the PC each night for general internet browsing of approx an hour (not file sharing or other gaming) then roughly how much GB would i use (the point being, if i signed up to BT's 40GB usage limit service of upto 8mb then would i go over my monthly limit?)

Edited by kendo912

My Dad is on Wanadoo and it has a download limit he frequently exceeds by upto 20GB and it has never been cut off.

You won't use much in the way of GB gaming. Its hard to break it down and give you a figure but you wouldn't exceed it. If the people who are on ADSL want me to, i will research them a bit for you, i have been involved in serious gaming for a good 6 years and i have a lot of mates who play games religiously.

A few of them are on ADSL and im sure i could see what they say.

Looking at reviews for each of the ISP i think it seems to be a bit hit and miss for people-some users saying its the best thing since sliced bread and others saying "avoid this ISP at all costs".

On a question of the ISP 's that have a GB monthly usage limit - such as BT -if i was online gaming for 4 hours on a friday night, 4 hours on a sunday and maybe 6 hours on a monday night plus using the PC each night for general internet browsing of approx an hour (not file sharing or other gaming) then roughly how much GB would i use (the point being, if i signed up to BT's 40GB usage limit service of upto 8mb then would i go over my monthly limit?)

I changed from wanadoo to bt, cant complain about either. Only thing is with Bt they upgraded the line for free. where as wanadoo charged me £30. I have also done a fare share of online gaming etc, and never reached the limit, on (package 2). Bt will not shut you of or charge you, but will email you to let you know you have gone over the limit, and only charge you if you consistantly go over it, so im led to believe.

Im on BT and always have been and to be honest they have never been a problem, im kind of like Allan with the fact that I think you get what you pay for. As for monthly usage if you click the link below and fill in the details it will work out what your usage you will roughly be.

Calculate Your Usage

Edited by LeeK39

Just had a look at my usage stats for the last few month kendo.I use between 5 and 7 GB a month gaming and general browsing, thats 2 or 3 nights ukdirt,and a bit of lfs,there are a couple of other computers on my network so that will be 4 or 5 hrs of browsing a day and a bit of streaming radio.

Huge thanx for that guys.

:thumbup:

TBH, i always thought that ukdirt online gaming used up a massive amount of GB so i've generally avoided those ISP's with a max GB limit.

BT's option 3 looks right for me so i'll wait till the ukdirt close season b4 swopping from virgin to BT as there'll probably be a couple of weeks swop over time!

cheers again :2:

Hope jamesy, who had the original question, has found this thread as helpful as me

Edited by kendo912

I race uk-dirt once a week from about 7 until 11 ish, sometimes do some praccy too, the internet is usually being used every evening for general surfing, msn, downloading the odd game demo, etc and I've never gone over my 3Gb limit, even if I do it'll only cost me a pound for every Gb I go over. I guess it all depends on your surfing habits.

talk talk offerin a v cheap bundled deal, 8mb broadband, landline (no bt bill!) and unlimited free uk landline calls with discounted mobile and international calls, £20 a month. broadband all good so far.

xTx

• 1 month later...

Just want to say thanks to everyone that helped me in this thread and on MSN.

I've just changed to BT this week with the broadband hub which i've wired in rather than going wireless and doing some praccy in jolt last night i've got a ping between 40-80 rather than in excess of 250 with virgin.net.

Fingers crossed, touch wood-it looks like i'll be back to normal in the F2's rather than having to pull out of the way for everyone.

:5:

:042:

I told you it would be fine! :)

For you guys that are on AOL - I have just been told i will be losing my job in AOL due to them moving all call centres to India. If your on AOL, leave now, the service from there is atrocious. The indian advisors are very well spoken and nice as they come but not extremely helpful.

I have been told i will be moving to Telewest in the same building or losing my job completely.

I told you it would be fine! :)

For you guys that are on AOL - I have just been told i will be losing my job in AOL due to them moving all call centres to India. If your on AOL, leave now, the service from there is atrocious. The indian advisors are very well spoken and nice as they come but not extremely helpful.

I have been told i will be moving to Telewest in the same building or losing my job completely.

i used to be with AOL nothing but disconnect probs for no reason. moved into my first house and decided to get blueyonder on dsl.

never had a minutes problem with it disconnecting its on 2mb and for 17.99 a month its pretty good.i like alan play online games all the time and have had it never cut off when playing them :thumbup:

As previously stated, you get what you pay for.

TalkTalk are the WORST ISP going, and i wouldn't touch them with a 50ft barge pole, steer well clear.

Here here I agree about Talk Talk, I was going to swap to them, did the phone first and they couldn't even get that right, after holding on the phone for nearly an hour they were told to stick it and they cancelled the bill.

I have been advising people against AOL for as long as I can remember, lol!! There service sucks (I'm sure you're an exception allan) and once installed, AOL just takes over your computer!

I have been with tesco.net for almost a year and have never had any downtime. I usually have both the laptop and the desktop on all day and the internet gets some serious abuse. Any problems? Apart from the poor billing system, no not really.

Although I have never had a problem with tesco.net I will be looking to get a much faster package when my contract is up (december), so anyone that can recommend a great service provider for stupidly fast broadband with no download limits then let me know.

:thumbup:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..