tyre softner?

chops660

Done a quick search

go to http://www.saloonstockcars.com/ and go down to the bottom of the homepage, download the 2006 car spec's, open it in ms word and scroll to page 6, I think that might be the answer, though i'd recommend you read it yourself, dont want to post anything which is untrue :2:

20] Tyre softener is not recommended. All tyres when checked at any time must not have a durometer reading below 40 as this will lead to instant exclusion from the results and possible Board of Control action.

I take it from this the more softner the less the reading?

20] Tyre softener is not recommended. All tyres when checked at any time must not have a durometer reading below 40 as this will lead to instant exclusion from the results and possible Board of Control action.

Correct!!!

There isnt a 100% proven method as to just how many coats of softener applied to tyres results in a certain reading, we've had readings near the minimum of 40 on the durometer when drivers have said they've used 3 coats, and readings in the high 40's/low 50's when they claim less coats have been used..

During tests throughout the season we've found a brand new slick with no softener applied at all reads around the 60/62 mark and a decent starting point we've found to be generally correct for a tyre treated with softener BEFORE racing is around about the 50-54 mark as in most instances during a normal race of 15-20 laps the reading tends to drop down to around about the mid 40's which is fine.

One thing to bear in mind though is if a reading of say, 44 is found after a heat of 15 laps you have to then take into account the final being slightly more laps, which equates to more heat going into the tyres and also consider the weather conditions, may sound silly but racing over a weekend in most cases has the Sunday temperatures higher due to it being run during daylight,doesnt sound much but could well make a difference

Dunno if you'll be online to read this before you set off to Cowdie today Chops, but if not I'll catch up with ya tonight (Dunno why I typed that as IF indeed you are away you wont know LOL)

:2:

Andymek.

I got a duromoter shipped over from the USA for a mate that races F2s, and there unaccuarte as hell.

When it came we were just mucking about taking readings off the road car, and it ranged from 70-85 and everything inbetween depending on how hard you press down/what angle you press/etc. The fella selling it says a "press on" durometer is to be used only as a guide because there too unaccurate in race conditions, and the only way to proper tests is to have a wee bit of tyre sent away :shrug:

Correct!!!

There isnt a 100% proven method as to just how many coats of softener applied to tyres results in a certain reading, we've had readings near the minimum of 40 on the durometer when drivers have said they've used 3 coats, and readings in the high 40's/low 50's when they claim less coats have been used..

During tests throughout the season we've found a brand new slick with no softener applied at all reads around the 60/62 mark and a decent starting point we've found to be generally correct for a tyre treated with softener BEFORE racing is around about the 50-54 mark as in most instances during a normal race of 15-20 laps the reading tends to drop down to around about the mid 40's which is fine.

One thing to bear in mind though is if a reading of say, 44 is found after a heat of 15 laps you have to then take into account the final being slightly more laps, which equates to more heat going into the tyres and also consider the weather conditions, may sound silly but racing over a weekend in most cases has the Sunday temperatures higher due to it being run during daylight,doesnt sound much but could well make a difference

Dunno if you'll be online to read this before you set off to Cowdie today Chops, but if not I'll catch up with ya tonight (Dunno why I typed that as IF indeed you are away you wont know LOL)

Andymek.

Ah, Meckyboy, you'll need to point me in Chops direction so i can introduce myself :thumbup:

I'll be helping 277 most weeks.. :thumbup:

The fella selling it says a "press on" durometer is to be used only as a guide because there too unaccurate in race conditions, and the only way to proper tests is to have a wee bit of tyre sent away :shrug:

Accurate enough to tell who's using far more than they should though ;)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..