Wireless or Not?

Leeroy186

Hi,

I'm thinking about upgrading my broadband package to something abit faster and with abit bigger usage cos the missus keeps downloading dvds and exceeding the limit!

Anyway is wireless any good as it seems if you upgrade you have to go wireless these days but I've heard its not very good for online racing??

Cheers

My advice is DON'T (go wireless) uness you really have to.

If you have cables in place use them. And Companies are pushing wireless but I've never heard of a company that "forces" you to use wireless - after all most routers will have at least 2 wired ports

Cheers Pete, I guess I can still use my normal router and wires that I use now but what I meant was all the packages now seem to come with a free wireless hub thing so I thought that seemed to be the way forward.

I take it I could set up the wireless for normal surfing but when I go to race online, i can plug a wire into a port and run it as I do now with a wire?

I am with pipex up to 8meg broadband. Usually connect at around 6meg.

I have my desktop connected to my router via an ethernet cable. My laptop however is wireless and I am able to race online and host 11 car races with no problems whatsoever.

It isn't the actual wireless that causes problems with online racing. As long as you have a good line speed and a modern machine then wireless is absolutely fine. :thumbup:

Wireless might cause warp when you're racing online, I think it will depend on your ISP. Some racers say they are on wireless and its fine, but ours causes warp so I have to use an ethernet cable. Wireless can also be a bugger to set up, but once it is setup its fairly reliable.

I take it I could set up the wireless for normal surfing but when I go to race online, i can plug a wire into a port and run it as I do now with a wire?
Thats what I do and it seems to work :thumbup:

Hope this helps :thumbup:

I'm sticking with my cable modem and Ethernet cables until something concrete comes out for wireless. Its just too experimental atm.

BTW, Download limits are a pest and thats why I have gone with NTL 4MB Broadband, no limits what-so-ever.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..