'Pay as you go' Road tax

Insane Mike

Thought I should post this up here for those that are unaware of it.

There are only days left to register your objection to the 'Pay as you go' road tax - which closes to petitions on the 20th February 2007.

The petition is on the 10 Downing St website but they didn't tell anybody about it. Therefore at this time only 671,354 people have signed it so far and 750,000 signatures are required to stop them introducing it.

Once you've given your details (you don't have to give your full address, just house number and postcode will do), they will send you an email with a link in it. Once you click on that link, you'll have signed the petition.

Democracy in action?

The government's proposal to introduce road pricing will mean you having to purchase a tracking device for your car and paying a monthly bill to use it. The tracking device will cost about £200 and in a recent study by the BBC, the lowest monthly bill was £28 for a rural florist and £194 for a delivery driver. A non working mother who used the car to take the kids to school paid £86 in one month.

On top of this massive increase in tax, you will be tracked. Somebody will know where you are at all times. They will also know how fast you have been going, so even if you accidentally creep over a speed limit in time you can probably expect a Notice of Intended Prosecution with your monthly bill.

If you care about our freedom and stopping the constant bashing of the car driver, please sign the petition on No 10's new website (link below)

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/traveltax

I can't see them being able to introduce that, I would've thought the tracking device idea would constitute an "invasion of privacy"?

Edited by erik

Us londoners are used to proposals being steamrollered in despite consultations showing the majority of people affected are against the scheme. The congestion charge and extension are prime examples. More worrying is the proposed low emisions zone (LEZ) which will see racers being charged £200 to bring their coaches and wagons to wimbo on a sunday night for a bit of racing. The proposal will basically charge anything transit sized or bigger to move within the M25 24hrs / 365 days a year if it was registered pre october 2001. The "proposal" is in "consultation" as i write, but you can expect it in place by august 08. For my boss it means scrapping 9 7.5tonne trucks and the 3.5tonne luton van he lends me to tow my bangers with! Thanks for saving the environment Red Ken!

If all this crap goes ahead whos up for a riot?

I don't think you would need a riot per se, just wait until the MPs and their idiot leader are in the House of Commons, lock and barricade the doors, then set fire to it...job done :thumbup:

Edited by erik

Cant see 1 million plus signitures stopping this lousy goverment. Over 1 million people marched on london, to try and stop the Iraq war. They did not even listen then :shrug: . The way they see it , is 1 million voted against , so the other 58 million who dont bother must be up for it :banghead2: .

If it makes them extra cash , you can be sure it will happen one day.

:coffee: Was listening to a Government Minister being interviewed on this very subject on the radio the other day.

Radio 4 I think it was, anyway the question was asked "If your Government calls for people to sign a petition and call it democracy in action and then over a Million people tell you they dont want this scheme then surely you have to listen and scrap the idea ? "

Government Minister,"Of course we want their veiws but we have to do something, we can`t just do nothing."

I think you have to read into that, "We`ll do what ever we want, thank you for your time."

And as for doing nothing they`ve done precious little to improve things up to now unless of course you include; building traffic humps, Precincts, filling in Bus lay-bys, pulling up roundabouts and replacing with traffic lights, more Bus Lanes, reducing the speed limits, in fact anything but improve the traffic flow!

:blowup: Will the money raised be used for genuine road improvements ?..Answers on a postcard please.

Happy Days :blink:

Regards Biffo

Will the money raised be used for genuine road improvements ?..Answers on a postcard please.

Unless adding to Mr Blair's "Holiday fund" constitutes a genuine road improvement, then no.

:thumbup: We have a WINNER with the correct answer.

:20:

Well done Erik..... :appl:

and your prize is being in the traffic jam of your choice..!

Congratulations

Bye for now Biffo

:thumbup: We have a WINNER with the correct answer.

:20:

Well done Erik..... :appl:

and your prize is being in the traffic jam of your choice..!

Congratulations

Bye for now Biffo

:rofl:

I'd like to donate the prize to charity if thats okay?

Edited by erik

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..