Arena Essex to close?

cjhill

Read in Motorsport News this morning that Arena Essex could be sold to developers to promote leisure activities in the area.

:o

All fixtures in 07 will go ahead but fixtures in 2008-9 are currently on hold.

This would be a real shame!

Our beloved short ovals are graudally dissappearing :(

2008 fixtures are going ahead, there not sure about there future after that it says in newsletter from P.R.I, but being the goverment :angry: who want the land cause lets be honest they don't care if 100's love going and watching bangers there.... :thumbs_down: will be a shame to see it go :(

To be honest i think arena has been lucky to stay open as long as it has since chick sold the land for part of lakeside it was only time before this would happen,But im also told that the are a few money issues at arena aswell.

There has been so many short ovals close yet the worrying thing is no more are opening.

There has been talk over the future of Wimbledon stadium as well, if we lose both Arena and Wimbledon that will be a sure sign that stock car racing in the UK is dying.

The likes of Spedeworth and Incarace need to promote the racing more i think to get more people through the gates.

the trouble is these days people would prefer to sit at home and vegetate in front of their TV's watching X-Factor and come dancing etc than actually to venture out.

My Dad was always out, nearly every day of the week he'd be out watching Stock car racing. Wednesdays - Arlington, Thursdays - Aldershot, Fridays - White City or Walthamstow, Saturdays - Wimbledon, Sundays - Ipswich or Hednesford.

Every time he said the stadiums were packed and the atmoshpere was great. He even said there had been time at Wimbledon where the capacity was maxed out and they had to turn people away at the gate.

My fear is that gradually we are going to start losing these venues one-by-one until there is nowhere to race.

It looks like Arena's days are definately numbered, the Thurrock Thames Gateway Development Corporation is a government agency that has the power to obtain the land with or without the owners permission via a Compulsory Purchase Order, if it was a football stadium I bet they wouldn't issue a CPO as there would be uproar. Why do we, the short oval racing comunity always get treated like this!

Hmmm... I think we need one of those petitions to the Mr Blair :3:

Its true though: us stock car fans are not represented and before we know it, all tracks will be gone :3::banghead2:

Why cant the governement put up more tracks in places like old quarries? (I think like standlake :shrug: ) coz there nobody is disturbed and land is cheap

lets fight our corner! :5:

Why cant the governement put up more tracks in places like old quarries? (I think like standlake :shrug: ) coz there nobody is disturbed and land is cheap

When Newton Abbot was closed, someone opened a small grass track on the edge of one of the claypits at Kingsteignton. That ran for a few weeks before the locals ( for locals read retired gentlefolk from bl##dy miles away) complained and the racing was stopped. Christ knows how anyone could have complained about the noise as the complete area was wooded in and the track was partly sunken, so any noise wouldve been well muffled.

Typical of yet another a well used entertainment amenaty(sp) being closed ( Newton Abbot track) and the local council doing their upmost to stop any further racing takin place elsewhere. Oh and of course Teignbridge council offered all the youngsters that where interested in oval racing something else to do instead.......NOT.

Racing, at whatever track, can be endangered if 'locals' complain about noise. These 'locals', are usually crabbit old people who simply want to spoil the racers' fun. This could mean that the council stop a track coming to the area altogether, which isn't really fair. The way I see it is..if it was an actual business, which would benefit the local council in some way, they would make damn sure that it started/stayed open, regardless of complaints. But, as soon as some old woman moans about noise from a track, at 7pm, its in jepardy (sp?), or it looks this way to me.

Edited by erik

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..