closing down procsses

TRAV365

hi all

in chat on tues i think peps were talking about how many procsses that had running on there computer i seem to have a few but dont no which ones to close down. there was a website put on here once which told you what ones are safe to close down any one got any info please???? :thumbs_up:

I have apprx 40 - 45 processes running all the time - God only knows what any of them down at that is after end it all. Would be great if we get some responses on here from the techno minded folk as sure 42 process don't need to be running.

Current PC usage is 4% - no other applications open other than the ukdirt forum through internet explorer.

Kane,

If I had a gun and 2 bullets and was stuck in a locked room with you and a tiger I think I would shoot you twice and take my chances with the tiger!

:rofl:

Edited by watto

dont' get rid of explorer.exe (makes windows run) or svchost.exe (part of registry I think)

otherwise it'll crash

keep the firewall/anti virus things running

the best thing to do is to go the the start menu

click run

type 'msconfig'

on the startup tab, take off anything which you don't need

if you just close them in task manager, they'll be there again when you restart.

hope this helps

don't blame me if you stop a process and your comp dies :sick03::blowup::rofl:

cheers

pazza

Lo chaps,

Do you either of you use "end it all"?

If so, are the lists taken after you've run it?

nope Kendo m8 dont use end it all had it a few years ago and never got on with

seemed to not get on with my puter so deleted it

cheers pazza maybe ill just leave all alone dont seem to have any problems when i race anyway

Edited by travel365

hell cabs ive got about 10 more things then you

if you do close them down will it close them down for good or do you have to do it every time you restart computer???

ashserv.exe and hoqste08.exe dont' need to be running in there. They are the only 2 taking up any significant memory, the rest don't matter.

This community has always been living in a sort of stone age as far as the computing world is concerned. Closing down programs etc only matters if 1) Your pc is old skool, 2) If your internet connection is unstable.

I personally leave msn etc running during meetings because im on a fast pc and 10mb broadband which is just about to be increased to 20mb broadband. Mirc chat is one of the programs that uses the least memory and bandwidth on your whole system, its designed that way so it can be left running no matter you are doing. The only reason i close chat when i race is to humour people as i can't be bothered explaining all this everytime.

I have been playing online games for coming on 6-7 years now.

The advice given about msconfig above is good advice. If you want help then follow these steps:

1. Click Start then run

2. Type msconfig and click ok

3. click the startup tab.

4. Take a screenshot(s) depending how many are in the list

5. Post the screenshot here

If you do that i will tell you if there are any obvious viruses starting when your pc starts up and also what needs to be unticked.

Ps. I once had a look at enditall and didn't like the look of it at all. You could be closing down things on your pc that you shouldn't be as it gives you a little more control that in probably should.

Edited by Allan268

No suprise here that i need PC help. Just seems a lot of process's to achieve very little!

Any info given appreciated - even if it is to not do anything as it wont make a blind bit of difference.

[attachmentid=14574]

[attachmentid=14575]

Thanks

post-892-1174828490.jpg

post-892-1174828507.jpg

thats the one mike thanks m8 will take a look later

thanks for advice to alan ive never really had any probs online myself just there was sevral peps talking about what programs were running only got half the chat but thought id look to see what was running on mine and just thought 30 things seemed a lot

Right first of all its easier to tell you what to leave ticked Watto, so heres what to leave ticked:

nvcpl

nwiz

nvmctray

Thats really about it, you missed a few out at the bottom. Just to point out, ctfmon is a virus that infects a lot of people.

Moving on Trav, leave ticked:

nvcpl

nwiz

nvmctray

iexplore

Untick the rest.

Once you do that, restart your machine, it should boot up quicker for a start.

......Just to point out, ctfmon is a virus that infects a lot of people.

I remembered seeing this in my processes list and sure enough it was still there.....i had a look on google and there is a lot of debate about this file.....apparently, if it's in your windows/system32 folder, it's part of microsoft office (to do with enhanced language, see here) but if it's in any other folder APART FROM Windows/system32 apparently it probably is a virus, so search your system to see where it is before you bin it....it may impact on functions in IE7 or Microsoft office if you delete the 'legit' one.

Thanks - just one other question - when I start/restart my PC now each time it comes up with a black creen asking me to choose either

1. Start in windows XP media mode

2. Start windows recovery mode

Is this ok?

I just choose 1 each time.

doh sorry allan one last thing i run avast anti virus and it used to have a little logo that was next to the clock on start up now its gone so i guess my anti virus is turned off??? which one do i need to re tick to get it to work again m8???

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..