Computer slow on startup

Dazza290

Hi all,

My computer has got very very slow on start-up, once booted it's fine but it will probably take about 10 minutes before its fully functional (Not on really seeing as its not very old!).

I've tried scanning for viruses through Norton, spybot etc etc and I have also used C Cleaner and changed the startup process on msconfig to cut down the amoutn of programs running on stratup but it doesnt seem to have made much difference. The hard drive really sounds like it is working hard when starting up for some reason, like I say, when its loaded it's A1, but its taking too long to get there!

Any ideas to what I could do?

Cheers in advance,

Dazza

Have just read somewhere that it could be something to do with the 'registery' files, would that also make sense on why I keep getting the error message on startup?

i suppose if there's a missing file in the registry the pc'll be looking for it, hence the startup may appear slower but tbh i'm not a registry expert......someone call Dino ;)

not sure if it makes any difference, but in the msconfig window, click on the boot ini tab and click check boot paths

not sure but worth a try :shrug:

:042: Hi

Try hitting ctrl/alt/delete during startup and see if anything is using all the processor.

Changing the registry can cause problems but a registry cleaner I have used in the past can be found here

It makes a backup before it changes anything so "should" be reversable.

Cheers for the advice so far.

Dino - Downloaded that program and went through it and it seems to have got rid of the error message on start-up ( :thumbs_up::thumbup: ), but it's still taking its time, although I admit it is slightly quicker.

I went into bios and the hard drive is shwoing up to be connected on Slave 2.

It looks a little bit like this:

Master 1

Slave 1

Master 2

Slave 2 - This is where it's saying the hard drive is connected to, is that right?

Master 3

Slave 3

Could there be a problem in there andifso, can anyone give any pointers on to what it should be?

Dazza

If it's your main C drive then it should be set as a master ? should only be set as a slave if your running a second drive.

If it is your main drive and you have no other drives connected then you probably have jumpers in the rear of the hard drive that either need to be removed or setup to run as a master.

If it's your main C drive then it should be set as a master ? should only be set as a slave if your running a second drive.

If it is your main drive and you have no other drives connected then you probably have jumpers in the rear of the hard drive that either need to be removed or setup to run as a master.

It's the original hard drive that came with the computer Muns, I havent changed the jumpers on it so im guessing that it's still ok, although it's still booting up like that :rofl:

I think I'll just leave it alone as it seems to be working ok :shrug:

Dazza

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..