Mk1 Mondeo

swindy

Hi nick the polygon count is 6549,as pc's are getting better and better and most ppl playing other online games and other techy gadets think you could make most cars with more polys and better detail but think you better look into it first tho.

Ps: do you no how to use 3ds2mods in stand alone Dos mode just so i can get rid of that dam shine as Z-modeler is putting it on when im converting 3ds-mod

6549 :o thats a good 3000 more polys than most of the newer Bangers, I suppose it would need to be tested properly 1st but it would certainly mean alot more detailed models, newer games such as rFactor can handle huge amounts of polys, one track that I looked at several months ago had getting on for half a million! the bottle neck we have is the very old graphics engine that Heat uses but if we could make 6500 poly models it'd be great.

I've never used the 3dsmod tool so I can't help you there, sorry.

For what it's worth here's some info about the F1 poly count.

The highest poly count I could still export as a .mod file was around the 4200 mark. If I got above it the program didn't allow me to export it.

From what I have read here and there, it seems that the maximim poly limit of exporting changes between the modelers (don't know why).

The bagners work with several LOD and damage (correct me if I am wrong Nick) both require poly's.

In F1's we work with High and Low poly's (high detail and low detail). If you'd count those poly's all up you'd end up with a car file that has around 30.000 poly's spread over different files resulting in the size of the car file and requirements for the game to display it all.

If you already start with a car that has over 6500 or so poly's this will mean that the poly's for the game to draw/build get more as well and so tougher for the PC.

I think it's better safe then sorry to keep the poly's as low as possible even though the PC are getting better as there are still people that don't run high tech PC's with a lot og BHP under the bonet.

Would love to know what you think about it Nick.

Just my 2 pence....

Dragon

I've never actually tried finding out the maximum poly count but I feel you are correct Dragon, in that the limit will be with the exporter, when you export an F1 the whole car is just one object isn't it? with Bangers the damage layers are seperate objects so I would guess in theory each one of those could be at the 4200 poly limit that you have hit, I am only guessing that though. Although you say that a car could be as many as 30000 polys not all of those will be being shown at once, most of those will simply be stored in memory.

I agree though, models should still be made using as few polys as possible rather than wasting polys just to get to the maximum.

Heres the ford mk1 Mondeo out soon. i await all the critisam.....

I've been really reluctant to comment on this as my constructive comments on your previous model weren't taken in a very good spirit. This model looks great but as before it looks like it has alot of polys for the heat engine, how many is it?

Think that it does work fine, In bws they run all the taxi's ok with 23 in jolt and so Think they may of said if it didnt work in the game , so i would have a re think lads .The way you lads make them mite not as good as you think! just sayinng!not getting cocky lads....

Heres the ford mk1 Mondeo out soon. i await all the critisam.....

I've been really reluctant to comment on this as my constructive comments on your previous model weren't taken in a very good spirit. This model looks great but as before it looks like it has alot of polys for the heat engine, how many is it?

Think that it does work fine, In bws they run all the taxi's ok with 23 in jolt and so Think they may of said if it didnt work in the game , so i would have a re think lads .The way you lads make them mite not as good as you think! just sayinng!not getting cocky lads....

Here's the 3ds

taxi.zip

A taxi was also used in jolt in an unlimited TNB v WNB team clash. That was with about 20 cars in jolt of mixed types and no problems were experienced. Running the taxi pack at 22 cars offline on an older computer which struggles a bit with large fields showed no noticeable difference in performance compared with similar packs and car field sizes.

Talking with some free league racers.. some have rather old computers which cant handle the amount of cars used in jolt so stick with the free leagues where their computers can handle the lower car amounts in private servers. Though consideration for people having older computers should be given when looking at maximum poly counts and other game issues there does come a cut off point when you cant really expect to hold game development back to cater for the dwindling amount using very outdated equipment.

.The way you lads make them mite not as good as you think! just sayinng!not getting cocky lads....

I'm not really sure how to take that, as you said that you aren't getting cocky I'll take it as tongue in cheek lol I personally think that the likes of me, Bozz, Hooty, Dazza, Freddy, FBF etc. have made very good cars using the amount of polys we were allowed, modelling a car is fairly easy but making it look good and realistic with less than 1000 polys (which is roughly what we have before damage modelling) is where skill really comes in. The extra polys that you are using will lead to alot more detail, Dazza for instance modelled a great looking seat and H frame but because of poly limitations he had to stick to the crappy looking ones used in most models. I'm not blowing my own trumpet, there are far better modellers out there than me but I think it's unfair to say that our models aren't as good as we think.

Only a couple of years ago we could only run (from memory) 8 ish saloon stock cars per heat due to them having too many polys, which caused warp, I took on the job of making proper LOD's for them and reducing the polys so that we could run the amounts we do now per heat, so we still have to be careful not to use too many polys because even with jolt servers we could stil end up with warp problems.

Edited by Nick M48

6500 :blink: thats a lot for a Mondeo with square sides (not attacking meant just constructive)

in my ambu i'm making (needs some interior pieces) is now around 1800 polys

The 6500 includes all of the damage layers, without them the Taxi is about 1800 too I think.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..