Horndean Raceway

Biffo

:unsure: Someone I know was racing a car on our local track, a few miles down the road.

Sort of Mini Hot Rod raced under grass track rules. He`d spend quite a bit of dosh on the engine, but was doing well over the last couple of seasons and suggested I went along sometime.

Said I`d try but hadn`t made it up to now, besides was grass track really my kind of thing ?

Finally got down there last Sunday so thought I`d share the experience.

The track is just off jnc 2 of the A3(M) about 10 miles north of Portsmouth, near Horndean.

The Southern Autosport Association organise the meetings here under S.E.G.T.O. (South East Grass Track Organisation) believe Tongham track at Four Marks and one at Croydon race under the same Banner.

Paid my £7 addmission, which includes trackside parking, and drove round to find a space.

Delighted to find they race round a chalk based oval , not grass at all.

Better still, as well as various Hot Rod style classes of non contact racing, they actually race Bangers.

[attachmentid=15967]

[attachmentid=15968]

[attachmentid=15969]

[attachmentid=15970]

[attachmentid=15974]

As far as I`m concerned there`s contact racing and theres non contact racing so wont bore you with the details between the various classes and I preferred the Bangers as you can tell.

Just to make the track more interesting the water tanker is sploshed round between races.

[attachmentid=15972]

These are the Specials, which the guy I had previously mentioned, had now switched to.

He`s still getting used to the understeer with the R.W.D. after racing the Mini.

These things are powered by 2 litre Ford Pintos with racing gearbox nailed on the back and go pretty quick.

Not too much protection at the front end and what happens when the throttle cable jams going down the straight with that engine behind you, probably just as well there coffin shaped !

[attachmentid=15973]

Well he managed a 2nd place in the final, hence the trophy.

Summing up I`d say if you like a more relaxed day out you`d probably enjoy a visit.

They tend to start racing at 11 am through till 4.30 pm so it can be a long day but not bad for £7

On the down side most of the racing is non contact with only about ten cars per ten lap race in the heats, although there are about 30 Heats to get through before the finals.

The plus side , for me, were the Bangers which brightened up the afternoon when they came out.

There were only 12 - 15 cars per race but they put a a good show I thought and certainly knew why they`d turned up.....plus they finished off the meet with a Destuction Derby, again only about 12- 15 cars but quite entertaining all the same.

Cant say I`ll go that often but I`ll be back, as Arnie would say, and the best bit was it only takes me 10 minutes to get home.

[attachmentid=15971]

And so to bed !!!

:2: Biffo

post-997-1179773586_thumb.jpg

post-997-1179773623_thumb.jpg

post-997-1179773709_thumb.jpg

post-997-1179773754_thumb.jpg

post-997-1179773794_thumb.jpg

post-997-1179773850_thumb.jpg

post-997-1179773896_thumb.jpg

post-997-1179773936_thumb.jpg

i went down to horndean for the horndean raid in 2004 and was one of the best meetings ive been to and didnt cost anything to get in! not to sure why they let us in for free now but they did :5:

cool track and is very fast for unlimiteds!

i raced there in my junior mini years ago, took it down as my m8 was racing a banger. i got 3rd 4th in heats and won the final. never had an armco then, just a bank like smallfields. was a fantastic track to race on great fun, and suprisingly grippy

Thanks for the pics Biffo, its my local track too now, and I still havent visited, will have to go in the summer when the bangers are on to check it out as it looks like a fairly decent track :thumbs_up:

James

Edited by Jrusselluk

Ive always thought Horndean was quite a popular track? wouldnt of thought you wouldnt know about it

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

;) Well I knew it was there, just never bothered to go till now .

Maybe being an old Spedeworthington I thought anything else would be a bit Naff.... :o ......which is not always the case.

I'm aiming to race there june 10th in a 1.6inj booted mk3 cav, that i'm building on the drive atm. I should be racing as 742 so come and say hello if you're at the meet :thumbup:

I'm aiming to race there june 10th in a 1.6inj booted mk3 cav, that i'm building on the drive atm. I should be racing as 742 so come and say hello if you're at the meet :thumbup:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

:thumbup: Excellent news m8, yes I was gonna aim for June 10th cos its down as Bangers : Young Guns v Oldies, amongst other things. See you there then.

Probably go down for the July 22nd Banger Team racing too.

I know! I feel so lucky!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

:rolleyes: Oh no, I think Kylie Monogue`s gonna sing......................... :rofl:

Remember to take out the dash, and don't use the standard tank :thumbup:

Remember to take out the dash, and don't use the standard tank :thumbup:

lol, i wonder where you got that advice from? Welding4motorsport is updating my fuel tank atm to take a fuel return for the injection. I'm also drilling new holes for the battery tray as it sits too low on the cage and bangs against rear seat platform. A nice plate over the sunroof and lots of brackets keeping the doors shut, 6 point harness, 6 month old helmet and noooooooo dash!

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to announce a change of plan, i'll be doing standlake this sunday as 2-3 mates are racing there. I'll still be in the cav tho and firestorm will be there too, so come and say hello if you're around,

cheers,

xTx

Sorry to announce a change of plan, i'll be doing standlake this sunday as 2-3 mates are racing there. I'll still be in the cav tho and firestorm will be there too, so come and say hello if you're around,

cheers,

xTx

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- :o Went to Horndean.....Was going to ask which one were you........?

[attachmentid=16432]

[attachmentid=16433]

[attachmentid=16434]

Guess its called being in the wrong place at the wrong time..

How`d you get on at Standlake then...?

post-997-1181507358_thumb.jpg

post-997-1181507402_thumb.jpg

post-997-1181507422_thumb.jpg

Pants, but thanx for asking. Race one i was too late for, race two the fuel pump seized and race three i stalled and the starter motor went u/s on the first corner, oh well, thats racing for you :thumbup:

.................. Race one i was too late for, race two the fuel pump seized and race three i stalled and the starter motor went u/s on the first corner, oh well, thats racing for you.............

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

:o Oh no ! Of course none of that would have happened at Horndean, lol.

Better luck next time. :thumbs_up:

• 1 month later...

Considering this track is run for enjoyment rather than profits, I was amazed they managed to get a meeting underway last Sunday after all the rain we've had. Credit to the team of people smoothing the track out to give some great racing again. Only a week earlier one of the bends was a great big puddle!

A note to some of the promoters out there in oval racing land....let the kids in for free, it only would cost us £14 to take 6 of us out for the day (if we weren't members, but seeing as we are it only costs us £6!!! And only another £3 for me to race!)

If anyone fancies a good day's racing then its well worth a visit. Checkout my website for more details and fixtures etc

www.cpmotorsport.co.uk

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..