Superstox & Stock Cars

Biffo

:unsure: Another rainy Weekend wandering round the shops in Chichester on Saturday. Went into W.H.Smiths to spend my Fathers Day Gift Voucher............but on what.?

Checked out their range of CD`s , I`ve got more in my car than they had in stock !

Took a look at the DVD`s , either got `em already or dont want `em anyway.

Browse through the books Formula One this, Formula One that, more of Murrey Walker, Rallying, but nothing there quite thats my fancy.............. When ZAPPPP!

Do my eyes deceive me, Superstox & Stock Cars the Golden Years by Richard John Neil.

Only one copy on the shelf and it`s mine !

[attachmentid=16828]

It `s what wet Weekends are made for :coffee: A book referring to the goings on throughout the 1970`s of Spedeworths Superstox and Stock Car formula.

Originally published in 2005 and containing over 200 black and white photos from 1969 - 1979.

It`s £12.99 ( lucky I had the gift voucher) but I`m sure you could find it 2nd hand on e-bay.

The Golden Years ? Well more Spedeworth tracks and more drivers in both formula and when life seemed somehow less complicated and the sun always shone........o.k. you get what I mean.

Some of us elderly folk even remember being there.

Front cover is of a young Derek Warwick (221) lined up at Wimbledon ready to contest his World Championship. Back then it was one on the most popular nights crowd wise and even got a mention in the sports pages of the press, even the Daily Express would you believe.

Every track began with the letter A or W, Aldershot, Arlington, White City, Walthamstow, Wimbledon, Wisbech, and a couple that didnt, Gt.Yarmouth, Ipswich, Ringwood and even Cross in Hand which was closed by the Local District Council after 1972.

They even had a dabble at using grass tracks at Gt. Chart in Kent and Billingshurst in Sussex.

Must say it contains some great photos of that era and some good shots of Cross in Hand Raceway , which are pretty rare. Also featured is Cowdenbeath and some shots from Northern Ireland.

If your old enough, you lived in the South or East Anglia and you remember names like; Dave Pierce, Tony May, Geoff Goddard, Graham North, Foxy Dance , Geoff Munn etc. its a book for you, if not buy it and find out more!

Also in the series is Oval Racing in Devon and Cornwall.

:2:

Enjoy Biffo

post-997-1182699416_thumb.jpg

Must be a WHSmith thing cause I was amazed to find this book on the shelves in our Huddersfield branch.

I didn't buy it cause it seemed to be all Superstox stuff instead of proper F1's though and it has still been there everytime I've looked since so others must think the same. :rofl: But still well done WHSmith for stocking summat different. :appl:

Guest Trash

Yeah it's a good book and RJN does other titles to complement it as well. I got this one and one of his other title's for Andy's birthday last year I think, some great pictures. My Dad, being an old three star promotions worker, was delighted to see a picture of Jim Welch in there at Wimbledon when he won the Superstox World Final which was a huge upset. Dad couldn't afford to go down and support him so he rung the Wimbledon office later that night to find out how his driver had fared, he was a little shocked when they told him that he was the World Champ!

Anyway's if anyone want's a bargain they are for sale on ebay for £5.99 buy it now price, here's the link:]

CLICKY CLICKY HERE!!!!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..