Problems with freezing

gb junior

This is probably un-avoidable but thought i would share the annoying problem.

Every so often my computer completely freezes which means i have to turn it off on the mains, when i re-boot most of the time it doesn't start succesfuly and goes onto a screen where it says, start in safe mode, start windows normally etc. When i click start windows normally the screen goes black for a while then goes back to the same screen however sometimes when i click start using safe mode, then click turn off computer leave for a bit and re-boot its fine. This is about 2 in 5 times this works.

My computer is very well cleared out, runs with decent speed (when it actually works lol) there is no junk etc on it.

Any ideas on what new to get for my computer which will provent this problem

Thanks

Dom

Guest Scrapman53

Could be either overheating, or a virus.

Take the side off and look at the heatsinks under the fans. It's amazing the dust that collects there. Make sure the fans are working too, including the small one for your motherboard chipset if there's one.

If everything's ok, try running Panda or Housecall virus scanners online in Internet Explorer. :thumbup:

Maybe way off the mark but I had a similar problem about 12 months ago with screen freezes, also the PC rebooting itself without warning. Eventually I found out it was a DDR memory problem. Did these problems start after a memory upgrade perhaps? The problem I had was that the memory didn't seem to run at the speed it was designed for so I had to lower the speed by going in to the BIOS (don't know the technical jargon). Since then I can't remember the last time I had any problems at all with it, it's been 100% reliable.

Hope you get it sorted. :thumbs_up:

Edited by Woka Snr

Maybe way off the mark but I had a similar problem about 12 months ago with screen freezes, also the PC rebooting itself without warning. Eventually I found out it was a DDR memory problem. Did these problems start after a memory upgrade perhaps? The problem I had was that the memory didn't seem to run at the speed it was designed for so I had to lower the speed by going in to the BIOS (don't know the technical jargon). Since then I can't remember the last time I had any problems at all with it, it's been 100% reliable.

Hope you get it sorted. :thumbs_up:

I think Woka is spot on Dom.

I had the same thing about 3 years ago and did everthing thinking it was a overheating issue. Problem ended up being the Memory speed settings were wrong.

I would start as scrappy says and look for a overheating problem then try the memory setting in bios then maybe look a your Power supply that could also be faulty.

If you need any help just shout.

Lakey

try this out m8 it checks out ure pc and tell u what temp it is running at etc

http://oldversion.com/program.php?n=everesthome

Everest Home Edition is a freeware system information, system diagnostics and benchmarking solution for home PC users, based on the award-winning EVEREST Technology. It offers the world's most accurate system information and diagnostics capabilities, including online features, memory benchmarks, hardware monitoring, and low-level hardware information.

Features include:

Advanced hardware monitor with OSD panel and cooling fans monitoring

Real-time alerting for hot-plug devices

Portable Computer page to display mobile PC related information

Bluetooth PAN support

File Scanner filtering

User benchmark results manager

Sharpness test (Monitor Diagnostics)

Guest Scrapman53

And try different drivers if they're available.

Did you have onboard sound before that? If so, you'll need to disable that in the bios. It used to be called AC97in the bios, but not sure if it still is. :thumbs_up:

• 1 month later...

And try different drivers if they're available.

Did you have onboard sound before that? If so, you'll need to disable that in the bios. It used to be called AC97in the bios, but not sure if it still is. :thumbs_up:

Sorry to bring this topic up again lol, Scrappy how do i do that where is the bios :unsure::scared15:

thanks

Hi lads

I have gone into the BIOS on the startup and i have disabled the AC97 Audio.

Recently it has been fine then today it decided to completely freeze up again :banghead2::banghead2::banghead2:

I really want this sorted but how lol.

Thanks in advance

Guest Scrapman53

Do you know what make the soundcard is?

It's maybe worth taking the soundcard out, uninstalling the driver, rebooting and go back into the bios and enable ac97 again.

If you don't get any problems after this, then it's definately a problem related to the soundcard. If not, then it may be just coincidence and something else causing it to happen.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..