Mav #325

Mav

Just a short note to let you all know that, now that I have spoken to Daz Kitson, I won't be making an appearance until towards the end of season (end of September / October) IF things go my way.

Two things have contributed to this decision and they are as follows :

1) Cost

Back in december I worked out that I could afford to put away £200 a month from my wages as of  January 05, at the detriment of certain bills and providing that other bills would be around my budgeted figures.

January / February - Helmet (£40) Licence (£90) Transponder (£167) balance carried forward with £100 savings.

Balance / March - Hednesford 24/4/05

April / May - Skegness 30/5/05

June / July -  Coventry 6/8/05

August / September - NIR 18/9/05

All in all nearly £2000. That was my plan.

Now as we all know things don't go to plan. We live hand to mouth with very little "extra" cash, so to take £200 away from the family was ambitious, but possible.

Now in february our washing machine packed up and had to fork out £350, which came from my car fund, my wife's car had mechanical problems hence a trade in and a small loan required, my car money now contributes to the payments and another area of the our accounts was being subsidised to allow me to put by £200 a month, was spirialing up and needed to be contained. Finally we are due to go on holiday soon, (paid for by our families - many thx to them) and we haven't been able to save as much as we thought for spending money and why put it on a credit card ? you only have to pay it back ! So again my budgeted cash has been re-deployed.

After all that, I looked at Hednesford and seriously considered - "Does £20 a lap seem worthwhile?" - I know there is ifs and buts but I have to look at the harsh reality of it all - What if I got fenced at Skegness in my first heat on my first lap ?

Certainly not value for money then. On the other hand I might get 3 brilliant races - so do I take the chance ?

2) Health

Yep I am a wuss compaired to the real F2 guys, but there health doesn't mean a jot to me, mine does. I have had back problems in the past (mainly coccyx) but my crash highlighted how vunerable I was to inflaming areas like my back. Yes I appreciate I may not crash again and YES I know I chose to go in the car knowing all this, but once bitten twice shy ?

If I can get over the cost problem then this problem wouldn't stop me having another go, but may play on my mind a little until the green flag dropped.

All in All, I had a brilliant (and disappointing  banghead2.gif ) meeting at Hednesford, one I would like to do all over again if possible (without the disappointing bit!), but the harsh reality of life is that I have had to re-visit my thinking and put my plans on hold, maybe forever but maybe just for a few months.  shrug.gif

So anyone willing to throw a couple of hundred pounds away, then please throw it in my direction and I will do my best to dispose of it in a better way  thumbup.gif

Finally - I would like to thank Daz for the opportunity to drive an F2, and feel disappointed to let him down as I may not be driving it again this season.  2.gif

ps Spike - I hear what you are saying about owning my own F2, but in my situation it would cause more problems in the long term than just hiring one. 

Yes know those feeling all to well, Hence my Irratic stockrod career last year. I race if and when I had the money. I also have a bad back hence i chose to go for the stock rods.

This year I have went a different route to Autograss racing. but again this is on an if and when i can afford it basis. 

Good luck get yourself back on the track from a I've got no Budget racer!

get ur own car?????

where would u find a car like what u drove for 1500 then running costs??????????????????????????????????????

come on spike where r these cheap dk's hiding??

i hear what you say mav i was considering the arrivendrive loon at cowdie but my burger allowance said no  rofl.gif  scared15.gif  hitsfan.gif

i hear what you say mav i was considering the arrivendrive loon at cowdie but my burger allowance said no  rofl.gif  scared15.gif  hitsfan.gif

16326[/snapback]

get santa to bring you one cod!!! rofl.gif  rofl.gif

i hear what your saying mavis, the family and health comes first always. Good luck if/when you do get back out

prydie

2) Health

Yep I am a wuss compaired to the real F2 guys, but there health doesn't mean a jot to me, mine does. I have had back problems in the past (mainly coccyx) but my crash highlighted how vunerable I was to inflaming areas like my back. Yes I appreciate I may not crash again and YES I know I chose to go in the car knowing all this, but once bitten twice shy ?

If I can get over the cost problem then this problem wouldn't stop me having another go, but may play on my mind a little until the green flag dropped.

16240[/snapback]

Don't talk to me about health today!!!  After Buxton yesterday I was in bed at 730, being sick until 1130ish (banged head)!  That said, I'm at work today and just have a bit of a headache.  Biggest pain for me is the day or twos work I need to do on my car to get it ready for NIR in a couple of weeks time.

Mav, just consider the old saying - no pain no gain.   

Don't talk to me about health today!!!  After Buxton yesterday I was in bed at 730, being sick until 1130ish (banged head)!  That said, I'm at work today and just have a bit of a headache.  Biggest pain for me is the day or twos work I need to do on my car to get it ready for NIR in a couple of weeks time.

Mav, just consider the old saying - no pain no gain.  

16343[/snapback]

At least you tried Mav. Anyone who has raced will understand where you are coming from with your decision.  thumbup.gif

I'm off work for the whole week now as the Doc has just told me I'm not to drive for a week due to the fact I can't look left or right today without someone stabbing me in the back of the head...  blink.gif and seeing as I work in Newcastle and live in Fife, I ain't walking 200 miles to work every day!!  wink.gif

Just phoned my new boss (only moved jobs last Tuesday) and to say he is not impressed would be understating the fact  shrug.gif

Look on the bright side Mav, at least you can remember your shot in the F2. I've had to watch the DVD to work out what happened.  surprise.gif

My earliest recollection after Saturday lunch at KFC with my kids is the trip in the ambulance being transferred from Victoria Hospital to Queen Margaret Hospital in an ambulance  ambulance.gif wondering what the hell all the fuss was about and thinking the Paramedic was very pleasing on the eyes... Bump on the head didn't affect the trouser department anyways!!  wub.gif

Well done Mav on having the balls to try and I do hope you find the spare cash to have another go one day soon mate!! appl.gif

Edited by Chewy102

At least you tried Mav. Anyone who has raced will understand where you are coming from with your decision.  thumbup.gif

I'm off work for the whole week now as the Doc has just told me I'm not to drive for a week due to the fact I can't look left or right today without someone stabbing me in the back of the head...  blink.gif and seeing as I work in Newcastle and live in Fife, I ain't walking 200 miles to work every day!!  wink.gif

Just phoned my new boss (only moved jobs last Tuesday) and to say he is not impressed would be understating the fact  shrug.gif

Look on the bright side Mav, at least you can remember your shot in the F2. I've had to watch the DVD to work out what happened.  surprise.gif

My earliest recollection after Saturday lunch at KFC with my kids is the trip in the ambulance being transferred from Victoria Hospital to Queen Margaret Hospital in an ambulance  ambulance.gif wondering what the hell all the fuss was about and thinking the Paramedic was very pleasing on the eyes... Bump on the head didn't affect the trouser department anyways!!  wub.gif

Well done Mav on having the balls to try and I do hope you find the spare cash to have another go one day soon mate!! appl.gif

16354[/snapback]

You won't be doing the Brisca Legends style reverse off the start again then Chewy?!?!

get santa to bring you one cod!!! rofl.gif  rofl.gif

i hear what your saying mavis, the family and health comes first always. Good luck if/when you do get back out

prydie

16333[/snapback]

shut it dominic

Can see exactly where you're coming from Mav. For the first, and probably only time I had the cash to buy some decent kit this year and give the tooz a real go, but when you sit down and think about all the ins and outs, it just wasn't worth the risk. There were a good few bad injuries last year and if I was unlucky enough to get a dull one, I don't get paid for being off sick, so then you're worrying about mortgage etc

In the end, I decided to plough the money into a better house and a better road car and I'm happy with that decision. At least I can say I've been out there, albeit tootling round the outside. You've done it as well Mav and can always say you've given it a go.

I was thinking of having a go in the hire car at racewall but Chewy has thoroughly put that idea out my head! laugh.gif  laugh.gif

I was thinking of having a go in the hire car at racewall but Chewy has thoroughly put that idea out my head! laugh.gif  laugh.gif

16396[/snapback]

Well Brian I can safely say it knocked all the thoughts / memories / sense out of my head too!!

ambulance.gif

sorry to heat that mav but at least you gave it a crack. Know what you mean about back problems m8 as I have a cracked disc and tho I would love to have another crack at the bangers sometimes common sense has to prevail. Chin up m8ty  2.gif flyinsi

Yep I am a wuss compaired to the real F2 guys, but there health doesn't mean a jot to me, mine does

Hmmm maybe you've worded this wrong Mav (well atleast i hope you have) but I personally don't think that the above sentence is a very good one!   3.gif

Now as a fan of racing, every drivers health has meaning with me and even more so when i actually know the drivers (boyfriend/friends). So for you to say that there health don't mean jot to you, worries me. unsure.gif

I mean as an apparant fan of racing i'm sure you should have the same view as me, and this view is one i'm sure that everyone else would agree with me on.

If this is not the case then i think that you should re-think your view on this matter.

OK point taken.

Whilst watching racing I don't like to think of the harm or injuries that drivers can receive, yes it worries me, one reason why I hate going to Sheffield; I believe one day someone will be seriously injured there and to be absolutely honest I don't want to be there to witness it. I certainly don't wish any harm to anyone who is trying to enjoy a dangerous sport or entertain others in the process.

What I was refering to is that, yes I am concerned if they get injured but the after effect on there life and there families lives I have no part of, and hence means nothing to me, because I am not directly involved with the feelings of those people and I am not able to help as I can only sympathise with them at a distance, but thats all I can do. For example, slightly off subject but relevant, I felt a loss when Mikey #961 died, but as I wasn't directly involved it mattered not what was happening to those nearest to him, as I had no bearing on it or had any control over it. I sent a remeberance picture, but thats all I could do from a distance.

Now if I got injured or something worse, I am concerned as to what implications it has on my family, will I be able to go to work ? if not, can I cover my bills ? etc etc

This I have control over, and would make sure things are in place to help my family if such an event should happen. If we all thought like this racing would never happen, and I am sure that if money came my way I wouldn't think twice about getting into an F2 car and driving its socks off, but I would make sure that I was in a position to support my family in the event of such tragic things happening.

At this point in time, I don't & didn't have anything in place and IF I was seriously injured at Hednesford then my family would have suffered financial losses and hence possibly "ruined" there lives in the process. This F2 experience has shown me things that I should have thought of before stepping into the F2.

That's not to say I wouldn't race again, but simple things like Insurance, Mortgage protection etc for financial things and for personal things, something like neck-brace, some form of padding for my back bone and coccyx; I have two huge bruises on my shins, so stupid things like football shin pads and the list goes on !

So I tried to sum up in one sentance what I meant, but it seems that I should have elaborated it further to avoid confusion.

Finally, If Dave was to be injured at a meeting that I attended I would be rallying around to try and sort things out, such as getting transporter & race car home, whilst allowing you to go to the hospital, where you should be, with Dave; But after that what use am I apart from talking on MSN, I can't help you with your bills, or your everyday life. Its that part I meant that it matters not a jot to me - concerned but useless to help.  thumbs_up.gif

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..