New Laptop

watto

Can someone with some pc knowledge have a look at the following spec and tell me if it can cope with running ukdirt, rfactor and if not what extra do i need to look for.

Any help appreciatted. This is the spec for the heavily advertised Toshiba satellite laptop

Full specification

Processor Type Intel Core 2 Duo T5250

Processor speed (1.50 GHz, 667 MHz FSB, 2 MB Cache) The higher the number of Megahertz (MHZ) the faster the processor should be

Memory Size 2 GB MB

Memory Type DDR 2

Hard Drive Capacity 160 GB The bigger the capacity the more you can store

Optical Drives HD DVD-ROM/DVD SuperMulti

CD-ROM Speed 24 x Enabling access to CD ROM data. The higher the number the faster the speed

CD-RW Speed. 10 x Enabling you to access and store data on CD-RW disks. The higher the number the faster the speed

DVD-ROM Speed 8 x Enabling you access to data on DVD. The higher the number the faster the speed

DVD-RW Speed 4 x Enabling you to store data on DVD. The higher the number the faster the speed

Floppy Disk Drive NO Floppy disks are 3.5" square and store a small amount of data. CDs,DVDs and memory sticks are now usually used instead

Screen Size/Type 17" WXGA+ TruBrite

Graphics Card Type ATI RADEON HD2600 To enable images to be displayed on your monitor

Graphics Memory 1023MB HYPER 256MB DEDICATED MB The higher the memory the better quality images you are display

TV-out NO Allowing you to plug your laptop into a TV to watch DVDs

Sound Type 16 bit stereo Integrated To enable you to have sound from your computer which is great for games, movies and music

Modem Type 56k Enabling communication with others via the telephone line. A modem is used for the Internet, e-mail and faxing

Wireless Enabled YES Allows you to connect to an existing wireless network such as in a office or a wireless hot spot

No. of USB Connections 6 The more connections the computer has the more equipment you can connect to your computer e.g. a modem, printer, scanner, digital camera, PDA

No. of Firewire Connections 1 High speed data transfer link for digital video and other media. Ideal for quickly downloading video images from a camcorder to PC

Infrared Port Included NO Allowing you to connect to other devices with infrared such as an infrared enabled mobile phone

Other Interfaces WEBCAM, 5 IN 1 CARD READER

Battery Type Lithium Ion

Software Titles Included Norton Int Security 2007

Operating system Windows Vista ® Home Premium Your software depends on the Operating System to make the computer functional. Look for Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium (or MAC OS X v10.5 Leopard on Apple Computers)

Weight 3.2 kg This is the weight of the appliance in KG

Height 288 mm

Width 399 mm

Depth 46.5 mm

Colour Onyx Blue/Silver

pop onto www.scan.co.uk and have ureself a look on there if ure getin a custom built pc etc.

www.forums.hexus.net

^^ register on there and make a post in the hardware section about what you want etc and how much you have, they have already helped me decide on the spec for my new desktop next month and that comes to a maximum of 600... will drop the price as the new 8800GS cards are out.

Thanks,

Lee

Guest Scrapman53

If anything breaks on a laptop, you're basically knackered. I have a laptop for work as it needs to be taken home at nights. It needs a keyboard and mouse plugged in as the laptop ones are both broken and with it being a bit older, the battery is shot as well. It now needs the power supply plugged in all the time and with it getting moved around on the desk, the solder joints on the pcb where it plugs in keep breaking. I've had to totally strip it 3 times to re-solder the joints. Bit of a nightmare job!

I agree with Hutch on building (or getting someone else to build) a decent base unit. Keyboards, mice are cheap. And a 2nd hand monitor will get you by till you can afford a new one. :thumbs_up:

Just to add to this, its not impossible to run a laptop. I have two lap tops at home, one that I use and one that my brother uses.

the one that my brother uses only runs heat, as its five years old now, and I wouldnt even consider trying rfactor on it. Only problem is the battery on it is well and truely shot now, and as with Scrapmans, will only run with the power pack more or less. Be lucky to get half an hour out of it with out the powerpack.

My laptop, which is just over a year old now, runs both heat and rfactor absolutely fine. It did however cost me £300 more that the one that your suggesting though. Only thing is one of the hinges on the back has broke and thus doesnt hold the monitor up properly anymore and has to be hld up by a wall :blink:

That is another thing with the laptops, the cost of repair if anything went wrong. I went to PC world to ask about how much it would cost to replace a hinge, and they said they would charge £230 before anything was done on it. Then it was not a case of just replacing the hinge, but neither a whole new hinge unit on it.

It just depends on your situation. I live in different places, and race online in different places, thus a laptop is best for me. Once I settle down in one place though, I would go back to a desktop straight away I think.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..