who is actually the best internet provider

jamesy

hi,fed up to the back teeth of pipex,so have decided to change trouble there does'nt really seem to any real good providers anymore from reading the reviews.do any of you have any recomdestions? the 02 broadbands looks pretty gd from the reviews i've read,is any one with these? just read i cant get 02 broadband yet down here :(

thanks

Edited by jamesy

We've had BT, AOL, Tiscali, and now we are on Virgin.

Most internet comes down your phone line, and we used to live a long way from our nearest exchange, meaning we were limited to around 1 meg no matter how much we were suposed to get.

Virgin internet comes down a cable threw your wall, and you get a lot closer to what you should be getting than other phone line types (in my experance anyway)

We pay for 4 meg, and last check we were getting around 3.9 which is fine for me. A digital fiber optic connection is better than using 100 year old analoge phone line technology.

Problem is Virgin is basicly old NTL, which means you speak to people in Asia the customer service is crap :rofl:

Im with Sky, Think its a tenner a Month for 10meg if your a sky customer.

Never had any real troubles with connections and customer service is good from experience I've had with them.

and Im actually getting near what I pay for, 10meg!

I'm with AOL, not great and have been thinking about changing for a while but I'm in a 2 year contract at the moment. I pay £20 for 8meg although I only get about 2.0-3.0meg depending on what day it is lol. I also pay £5 a month for McAfee.

I've just searched google for good ISP providers and found O2 for £15 a month for 16meg and free McAfee. Has anyone got any experience of O2?

Virgin media I'm with and get 8 meg for 10 or 15 pound a month and never had a problem with them ever since joining.

In my opinion I would go for virgin media but you call at the end of the day :thumbs_up:

walker

Whatever you do steer clear of Virgin broadband if its not on cable. Before I left them I got a honest!!! yes honest customer service advisor who told me that they had taken on too many customers too quickly and couldn't provide the advertised speeds and that there was little hope of it improving. I am sure the likes of Kendo and some others would back this up.

Broadband is probably as big a nightmare as mobile phone contracts.

You could check out Money Supermarket, they have a broadband providers section. Whatever you do don't get tied into long contracts unless you are ultra confident in the provider.

I have choosen to go with Eclipse - Why - no 12month contract - a UK based customer service and a sales team that took me through all the options taking time out to check that it would support my needs. To be honest it does depend on BT and the quality of the exchange - most are old an out dated - but you get what you pay for. I would rather pay a touch more but know if needed a service advisor will help!

Taken from Moneysupermarket.com

The pros and cons of moving to a new deal

Moving to a new deal can present problems as the provider you are leaving will not want to lose your custom, while the broadband company you are moving to wants you to change as quickly as possible. Your current provider could employ retention strategies such as offering you a better deal to stay.

Nothing should deter you from moving however, if you are unhappy with the level of service you get from your existing provider. That´s why moneysupermarket.com has compiled a changing broadband provider guide to help you through the process of moving including understanding the small print, how to speak to your current broadband provider and what to do to make the change.

The lesson that can be learned from the TalkTalk issues is that it makes sense to consider all of the options available. Don´t just jump on a great new deal, chances are if you´re doing it, a lot of other people are doing it too and this can create problems. Instead look at all of the options and consider smaller broadband companies too, many of which include excellent customer service and 24hr helplines. Look at the complete broadband picture and not just the cheapest deal – find the offer that´s right for you.

Edited by watto

well i've been in contact with pipex today,and they have found the fault which is the bt thingy exchange i think forgot what its called has a problem in that it cant handle it,and bt have said they will repair it with 7 days if not i'm moving provider.i dont hold out much hope lol.thanks for help guys

Got activated with O2 yesterday after my AOL contract came to an end.Saying they're customer services suck is a big understatement!! O2 after 24 hours seem superb compared(lol i know its only been a day)plus if you've got an O2 pay monthly phone its even cheaper. :thumbs_up:

Got activated with O2 yesterday after my AOL contract came to an end.Saying they're customer services suck is a big understatement!! O2 after 24 hours seem superb compared(lol i know its only been a day)plus if you've got an O2 pay monthly phone its even cheaper. :thumbs_up:

Can you wait a few days and tell me if its reliable please mate :thumbs_up: If you don't reply I'll assume its not :rofl:

had orange on the phone today,who my mobil is with,they offerd cable internet 8mb like virgin and phone etc like i have with pipex for £15 a month for the life of my contract with orange.any else with um? i know si is but i think hes on normal net

well i've been in contact with pipex today,and they have found the fault which is the bt thingy exchange i think forgot what its called has a problem in that it cant handle it,and bt have said they will repair it with 7 days if not i'm moving provider.i dont hold out much hope lol.thanks for help guys

If there is a problem with the exchange it doesn't matter who the provider is with the problem will still be there. You will still connect via the same exchange.

had orange on the phone today,who my mobil is with,they offerd cable internet 8mb like virgin and phone etc like i have with pipex for £15 a month for the life of my contract with orange.any else with um? i know si is but i think hes on normal net

Hi Jamesy,

After all of the problems we had with Pipex here, I had a gander through the customer survey sites and found Fast Broadband to be highly spoken of. The connection was switched over swiftly, customer support was excellent and on an 8mb package about 3 miles from the exchange i get between 4 and 5mb most of the time :thumbs_up::thumbs_up:. It is a capped package but i'm on (i think) the 15gb/month and we've never got anywhere near it with 'normal' usage (i.e. 2 pc here connected and usually working all bloody day lol)

Edited by wrighty496

I am with Orange

I get unlimited texts, 300 minutes per month, plus free evening and weekends over broadband phone. 8 meg Broadband (runs at 6 most of the time) soon to be updated to 16 meg.

Customer services have been improving steadily and the Broadband team seem very clued up.

speaking to a few who live on my est,they dont have any problems with there internet so i think pipex is giving me another red herring so to speak.thanks for all the help guys think ill be going with orange net just need me mac code now lol

Can't go wrong with cable broadband from Virgin, I've been with them since November 2003 when it was NTl and I've had only a few problems. It used to cut out for hours at a time every other month for the first 2 years then it decided to stay out permanently. So when a guy came round to fix it he found out that all it was that was causing the cut outs was a small metal splinter inside the wall connector that was causing it too short. He said to me he was amazed I was even getting the internet at all but when I told him I have had it for 2 years up to that point he was gob smacked lol.

So anyway had no problems with it since then except one blackout last year that unfortunately was on a Monday and made me miss an F2 meeting! :banghead2:

Do note the customer service is terrible! If you are blessed then you will be lucky enough to talk to someone who you can understand and understand your problem...

BTW, did someone say AOL is "awesome"?... They must be out of there ******* mind to say something like that! :rofl:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..