SCOTTISH CHAMPIONSHIP PREVIEW - KNOCKHILL - 7:30PM

Johno3

SCOTTISH CHAMPIONSHIP – KNOCKHILL- THURSDAY 12TH JUNE 7:30pm START TIME

post-189-1213148637_thumb.jpg

With the first championship still fresh in our memories from last week, it is time to move onto the second championship meeting of the season; the Scottish Championship. This rFactor F1 meeting has the receipt to be a classic, with a new venue to UK Dirt, and this also being the one and only visit we make to the Scottish track. This preview will tell you everything you need to know about this hotly anticipated meeting.

CHAMPIONSHIP HISTORY

This championship has been around since 2001, but 2008 will be the first season that the championship will move from Cowdenbeath. Just like its real life counterpart, the winner of the Scottish title is the driver that wins the meeting final. It wasn’t until the last two years, that this title didn’t seem to favour the top guys in the sport. BB #38, who was then #622 (2001), Jok #79 (2002), Hack #258 (2003), Rebel #77 (2004) and Corny #391 (2005) have all taken the title. It wasn’t until 2006 that a lower grade driver won the title, and this was Cabs #226. Last year had no fewer than 11 yellow grade drivers in the race, and it was one of these yellow drivers that won the race; Grant #321.

THE TRACK

Knockhill is a unique track for the F1’s, in that it is the only track that we use that is a tri-oval. The hairpin is so tight that with the gravel trap on the outside, there is bound to be action there. But turns two and three can be just as tricky, as you bounce across the huge bumps. TTake into consideration the tyres places on the inside of all the corners, and this is one difficult test. There is no doubt that the winner of the final will deserve to be crowned the Scottish Champion 2008.

STARTING PROCEDURE

Due to the nature of the track, and of course it not being a tri oval, there will be a slightly different lining up position for each grade. Please see the diagram below. Go will be called anywhere from the whites being in the middle of the straight inbetween turns 2 and 3, and the exit of turn 3. 20MPH is still the limit on the rolling lap though.

post-189-1213148370.jpg

MEETING FORMAT

Going on car numbers averaging around 20 this season, we will probably run a two thirds format with the heats, and then run an all in final, and all in Grand National. In the event that there are more than 24 cars, then I am afraid the grid will be capped at 24 for the final, with two grand nationals after.

THE CONTENDERS

Fresh from his UK Open Championship victory at Skegness this past week, Dazza #290 must surely start the meeting as favourite. With Hutch #331 banned for this meeting, Dazza not only has the opportunity to add another title to his collection, but also the opportunity to close the gap in the National Points. Much will depend on how he adapts to this unique venue, and whether he can make the transition from red to superstar successfully, as it will not be a closed grid formation this week.

At superstar, alongside Dazza, should be Kruiz #136. Kruiz was gutted to miss the UK Open Championship meeting last week, and would desperately love to add to his Dutch Open title from last season. He has been near the front all season, and I would expect nothing less come tomorrow’s meeting. He has taken a final win this season, although this came on the shale of Belle Vue.

Elsewhere, MoR #137 has to be another driver to watch. He has already taken two finals this season, and his desperate to add to the Grand National Championship that he won in 2006. The only problem is that his two final wins came on the shale. However, a recent down grading to red may well aid him in his quest for a second UK Dirt F1 title.

Sticking with the red grade, and there is a driver that already has three final wins to his name this season; LeeK #39. LeeK has surprisingly never won a UK Dirt F1 title, and would dearly love to do so to add to his collection in other UK Dirt formulas. The only problem is that all of his finals wins came from the blue grade, and although these wins have come on both surfaces, he has struggled from the red grade. This is a guy not to be ruled out however.

So what about some of the other drivers? Well last week Marten #291 came so close to taking the UK Open title, and could be a major treat again from his blue grade. Jimmy #259 was on the pace last week, and already has a tarmac final win to his name. Jimmy comes from the blue grade, as does Dutch driver Sybe #315, who is another driver that has a tarmac final to his name. Moving further down the grid, we have DanSkin #236, who was another driver that picked up from last week, and should he manage to escape from the pack of yellows, he may well be impossible to catch.

Due to nobody really being 100% sure how drivers are going to get on around this unique track, it is possible that there is a driver out there that has not been mentioned that will pick up the title. This certainly is a hard race to call.

post-189-1213148701_thumb.jpg

FINALLY

This meeting has all the ingredients to be one of the best meetings of the season. Not only is the Scottish Championship up for grabs, but so are those valuable world championship qualifying points. Add to the fact that this is another new track to UK Dirt, and it is not the standard oval that we would use, and it is one very exciting prospect!

Cheers

Johno

P.S Sorry it is a little later than first advertised. Edited by Johno3

I fancy MoR for the title as well actually.... As much as it pains me to admit he may win.... just kidding :rofl:

Cheers

Johno

Hehe, I think i've been jinxed enough now thanks :rofl: Can't see me doing much tonight, another hectic week, and here I sit with 2 hours until the meeting with a skinpack to make and no setup whatsoever! We'll see anyway.

Personally, I reckon we could see another victory from Dazza, or maybe even marten after his fine performance last week. It all depends what happens down at the gravel trap really!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..