Virtual Memory

watto

I keep getting a warning message that my virtual memory is low and windows is taking action - then the pc shuts down.

Any ideas how I can correct this virtual memory issue?

Thanks

hi m8,

(not sure which OS yr on but) in xp u can go into control panel, then system, then click the advanced tab and there's a performance section where you can tailor how your pc prioritises its resources. Virtual memory is listed as 'a part of your hard drive that acts as if it were RAM' and the space you need can be set there. I think the rule of thumb is to have the maximum space set to double the initial space (mines set to 672mb initial, 1344mb max) but u can set these figures yourself. Check the initial and maximum volumes and then try increasing the figures.

If the problem persists with larger volume space set, there may be another underlying problem but we'll get to that if we need to :thumbs_up:

rsvp so we know how it went please :)

oh and happy birthday you old fart :P

One trick that can improve the performance of virtual memory (especially when large amounts of virtual memory are needed) is to make the minimum and maximum sizes of the virtual memory file identical. This forces the operating system to allocate the entire paging file when you start the machine. That keeps the paging file from having to grow while programs are running, which improves performance. Many video applications recommend this technique to avoid pauses while reading or writing video information between hard disk and tape.

i have always x2 my ram for min and max and never had a problem :)

my ram is 2048 so min 4096 max 4096

Edited by Pedz 212

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..