Ping Poser

Matty300

I know this should be in Technical discussion section, but hoped someone who raced at Northampton last night could help me out? I (for the first time) experienced ping problems at both weds & thurs nights meetings. I was around in praccy before the meeting proper last night & experienced no ping issues, where there were upwards of 20 cars in there, yet in the actual meeting I kept on getting the dreaded "syncronising game" message followed by figures of 200 - 873m(!!) at times, & many pointed out i was warping badly. I play other games online, & my ping thurs afternoon was a consistent 18 - 20 m. I have a wired connection, 2MB provided by Pipex with a speedtouch USB modem, just puzzled why this should be happening in Rfactor & nowt else? I use end it all & firewall turned off, no msn or other apps running in background either. Dont want to be having technical issues just as seasons about to start. Any advice or shared problem / solutions would be welcome.Thanks

Pipex are well known for connection shaping, I would guess you have tripped something in there system and now being affected. If you google pipex connection shaping you will find out more.

Matty, I had complete horror stories about pipex and ended up changing ISPs after much discussion with them so that my current contract could be torn up. Spinter had the same, as did DaveW iirc, the basis of the problem being during times of heavier traffic (i.e. all evenings) they prioritise http (basically browser) traffic over the 'solid' connection we need for online gaming. I ended up running tracer software that sent ping packets out and monitored all of the hops along the way to their destination and back. A packet sent to the rfactor matchmaker (the server list, match.rfactor.net) would go through my local exchange, down to a regional hub, then cross to Holland, through to France, then back to london!! before it crossed the pond to the US....the European jaunt was so they used tiscali's network rather than having to 'rent' bandwidth on BTs network, and the 'http prioritising' meant that during peak times the packet drop (pings sent out that didn't return) was up to 40%, so as your game relies on pings to and from the server, the unreturned pings are what's probably causing your high figures.

For tracing your ping routes, you might want to try something like this software, its only a 15 day trial but it might give you an idea of how the network's performing, especially during the evenings when your game connection is suffering. In the end, i managed to argue with them that the pipex connection wasn't 'fit for purpose' based on the terms of contract.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..