Heat crashes PC

Guest Trash

Guest Trash

Hi,

My hard drive corrupted itself the other night so I now have my tower back from the repair shop with nothing on it.

I have installed Nascar Heat and when I click it to play it (to see if it's working ok before downloading everything) it shows the first little Nascar Heat logo and then the screen goes back, turns the monitor to standby and then the PC reboots itself.

Any ideas whats causing this? Everything ran fine on the same system before I lost everything.

Thanks

Trash

Trash, is it only Nascar Heat that makes your PC reboot? or has it rebooted it self whilst trying to use other programs aswell?  Before you went on the Internet did you have your Anti Virus already installed? if not then a Virus may have got on.

My computer restarted it's self on Tuesday night in the middle of the A final and so did Nicks in middle on meeting, and someone said it could be to do with the warm weather.

Another thing that makes your computer restart its self is dodgey RAM, I had RAM that worked perfect for a year or so then all of a sudden it turned dodgey and PC restarted it's self everytime I tryed to run a program.

Guest Trash

Yes, it's just Heat that does the reboot thing Cunny.

I had up to date Norton virus protection on it before I went online, the repair shop did that before I got it back.

All other programmes I have put on are fine up until this one.

It's certainly got me a bit confuddled!

Not sure whether Norton works in the same way as Zone alarm, but with ZA you need to allow heat.bin (C:\Documents and Settings\user\Local Settings\Temp folder) and nheat.exe access thru the firewall or it used to spit me out of the game (usually only a crash to desktop tho unless norton protects by shutting down the system) so program accesses might be worth a check - i use ZA in a learning mode after installs to get a prompt for allowing required access for the game to run. also check for any block logs because usually if a progs been blocked once it stays blocked - if it sees an exe trying to work outward would it shutdown to protect the system perhaps?

Hope this helps

Not sure whether Norton works in the same way as Zone alarm, but with ZA you need to allow heat.bin (C:\Documents and Settings\user\Local Settings\Temp folder) and nheat.exe access thru the firewall or it used to spit me out of the game (usually only a crash to desktop tho unless norton protects by shutting down the system) so program accesses might be worth a check - i use ZA in a learning mode after installs to get a prompt for allowing required access for the game to run. also check for any block logs because usually if a progs been blocked once it stays blocked - if it sees an exe trying to work outward would it shutdown to protect the system perhaps?

Hope this helps

21861[/snapback]

Wrighty Norton pops up before you start Heat asking if you want to allow heat.bin to access the Internet, dunno what would happen if you clicked no tho, Trash you click yes when the box asked you?

I'm out of ideas sorry, maybe try uninstalling heat then installing it again?

Guest Trash

I have tried it with the firewall turned off and it does the same thing.

I dont get that box pop up for Norton Cunny, just a plain old crash!

Guest Trash
Did you get a new power supply? If so, what make and power?

21869[/snapback]

When all checked out Pete, the PSU was fine.

They have added an extra fan inside though which has stopped the heating up problem I was having last week.

Personally, since it has been in a shop and a lot of shops not having a clue what they are doing.

Did they format it?  If so are the correct graphics drivers installed?

If it was the firewall the PC wouldn't reboot, it would just stay on a black screen until you alt+tabbed to the allow message.

First thing i thought of was the graphics drivers, i will have a think about what else it could be and let you know.

Could you also goto start->control panel->system->hardware->device manager

Are there any yellow question marks in that list?  If so what are they beside?

Edited by Korizin268

Guest Trash
Personally, since it has been in a shop and a lot of shops not having a clue what they are doing.

If it was the firewall the PC wouldn't reboot, it would just stay on a black screen until you alt+tabbed to the allow message.

First thing i thought of was the graphics drivers, i will have a think about what else it could be and let you know.

21928[/snapback]

I will check on the graphics drivers, I didnt think of that to be honest, cheers.

There is one yellow question mark beside "multimedia audio controller". Gawd knows what that is lol.

WIll check the graphics stuff after Big Bro! ohmy.gif

042.gif trash, having the same problem when i run paint shop pro 9,i am sure it's my graphics card. do you get a message to send an error report? if so what is the reply?

21928[/snapback]

I will check on the graphics drivers, I didnt think of that to be honest, cheers.

There is one yellow question mark beside "multimedia audio controller". Gawd knows what that is lol.

WIll check the graphics stuff after Big Bro! ohmy.gif

21954[/snapback]

i think that is your soundcard..do you have onboard sound or a soundcard?

try getting drivers for that ...i had system crashed with nascar 2003 because i had old drivers in  blink.gif

That question mark is causing it mate and that is usually your soundcard.  If it's onboard you should have drivers on a motherboard disk.

Either way if it's onboard or an actual sound card, catch me on msn and i will sort you out mate.  allan268@hotmail.co.uk

Guest Trash

I would like to say a massive thankyou to Korizin for all his time and effort in getting this sorted this morning.

He must have spent at least a couple of hours sorting me out and after various things, we downloaded new sound drivers which fixed the yellow question mark but still the game crashed.

A graphics driver uninstall and a new graphics driver install later and everything is working fine, and it's all thanks to Korizin and his patience with a novice for this kind of thing this morning.

Thanks a lot mate, I really appreciate all your hard work in getting me back up and running. I am a happy chappy again lol.

Cheers

Stu

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..