create skins myself

rickyjames237

You will need to get a hold of Photoshop or something similar. Will be using Photoshop for this as most folk use that and I've never used anything else. Once you've got that you will need a 'template' for painting a skin, think some mods have them included in the rFactor folder somewhere but I only have F1s installed on this machine. Some of the templates are also available from the UKDirt main site, go to Downloads > rFactor > Templates.

Will explain some basic stuff here, I will use the FWJ tar car template.

You will need to open it up in Photoshop. Most of them have an 'instructions' layer, you can hide this by clicking the bit I've circled in this pic;

post-7063-1324488552.jpg

Next, most templates have a 'body panels' layer or something similar. Click on that in the 'layers' list. This is assuming you want to change the body colour. You have 2 options here, you can either press Ctrl + u and use the bars that come up or use the paint bucket tool (circled in red - to set the colour for the paint bucket click on the bit circled in blue);

post-7063-1324489003.jpg

If you're using the paint bucket tool, you would then click on one of the panels to change the colour. You may have to untick the 'Contiguous' box in order to colour all the panels (see pic);

post-7063-1324491993.jpg

Once you have the body colour done you can use the same process for the wing - there should be a layer called something like 'Wing Panels'.

There may also be separated layers for bonnet scoops etc - again the same process is used to change the colour.

You will then want to make signs. Click here for a tutorial of sorts on this. It isn't the best way to make them but it should get you started.

Once you have signs done, you will then want to deal with the 'bits'. These are coloured squares that define what colour a particular thing is (eg. rollcage, chassis etc). Click on the relevant layer (could be called 'Bits' or 'Coloured Parts' or something like that) and you can then use the paint bucket on the square you want to change. In order to just colour in the one square, you may need to tick the 'Contiguous' box I talked about earlier. You may also need to show the instructions layer again (click on the icon next to it again, as explained at the start of this post).

post-7063-1324491765.jpg

After all of the above, you will want to put the skin into the game. There is a guide on this on the UKDirt main site. Go to the main site and then Downloads > rFactor > Templates > Skin Painting Guide :thumbup: That should tell you how to get the car in game. May take a while til you're happy with the way the car looks.

Again just covered some of the basic stuff, there's alot more you can do with Photoshop, need to do a bit of practice and experiment with different things.

Edited by earache

Haven't been on here in a while, i did put together an "idiots guide" on skins and decals when i still raced online. mainly so i didnt have to paint skins for the father. :L most people's skins start out fairly basic at the begining (unless they have had experience with the relevant software beforehand). gradually getting better and better. mine we're never as good as some peoples on here, but look great :)

just do a quick search on the forum for the guide or browse the posts in my profile (if you can actually do that). not sure if the down load works still, but if not ill upload it somewhere when im on my desktop next.

Also, merry crimbo :)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..