Advice on Graphics Card

Mav

I have bought a second hand PC for my lad to race rFactor on, but having tried it online it is jumpy and not raceable.

Only thing I can think of is the graphics card is not good enough. The pc runs windows xp.

Can anyone advise me of a graphics card to get that will work on a Dell Optiplex 320. Thanks.

I enclose a screen shot of the rfactor config screen.

post-37-1334323884.jpg

Hi Mav,

I can't really advise on your current issue, but if you do find you're in need of a gfx card, I still have one for sale, see here:

http://www.ukdirtforum.com/index.php?showtopic=36602

Now £40 or make me an offer :)

This card is far more than you need for rfactor - i'd still be using it now, but I got a new pc last year with an even better card in there. It's worth noting the quoted dimensions and space required because it is huge (and dell cases are well-known for being less than accommodating for upgrades).

Let me know and good luck :)

Thanks,

Craig

I'll open the box up tomorrow and have a look.

If it can fit I would be interested.

I'll let you know what I find out - Thanks m8

Having opened the box, I still haven't got a clue!!!!

I have enclosed a picture of whats inside, maybe someone can tell me if MOR's graphic card will fit, but more importantly will it work with Windows XP and the pc itself??

Any help would be appreciated.

post-37-1334389839.jpg

I think what you need to consider Mav is would MoR's card physically fit inside your case (as MoR points out the 9800 is 9 inches long & difficult to accomodate in a lot of cases) & that you have a spare pci slot to accept it. Looking at your picture i think you have (the two white slots at the bottom right are pci express slots where it slots into), but you should check the dimensions of your case first. Other important considerations are what power supply the optiplex has as the new card would need more juice, & also cooling in the optiplex case, i.e. what fans does it have. The GT 9800 has its own integral fan but bear in mind that when you turn on all the fancy graphics options in rFactor the card will be working hard & generating lots more heat.Ive found through personal experience recently that there is nothing more frustrating than being on the rolling lap & the PC suddenly freezes necessitating a reboot! Ive sent you a PM with a manual for the optiplex 320 attached in PDF format which should answer your questions re. case dimensions etc. & MoR im sure has plenty of experience with this sort of thing, just bear in mind that upgrading graphics cards usually means having to bash the credit card more than anticipated!

Not knowing what to do, I decided to try my graphics card in the other PC - It worked!!!

Been online with it and the racing is alot smoother.

Purchased what I thought was a like for like replacement for my PC, and I am up and running again - not sure if I have gone up or come down with graphic performance but it works!!

Thanks for the offer MOR, If I was confident of it fitting/working, I would have bought it from you.

Thanks to Matty for the advice, and your right the Credit Card has been hit - Hope the missus don't find out!!!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..