Nvidia graphics card woes (continued....)

Matty300

Now for the next frustrating installment in my quest for an acceptable framerate in the F1 mod! Ive bought an nVidia GTX 295 (second hand off eBay) to replace the 8800GT i was struggling with (see earlier posts).For those not familiar with this beast of a card it is essentially 2 cards strapped together & by all accounts should make rFactor fly with all the graphics settings set to max. Ahem. :banghead2: I installed the card, when i boot up my PC i hear a series of beeps, my monitor stays blank & a red LED on the back of the GTX 295 comes on nextt to the DVI -D connector for the monitor. The card itself has two connecting slots for the power cable, an 8 pin & a 6 pin. My power supply unit is a Jeantech 700W 12v rail type & so should have plenty of juice to power the GTX 295. I have the six pin connector in the card at present as I dont have an 8 pin block to the PSU. After several fruitless attempts to get the card working I replaced the old 8800GT & my PC then boots into windows as usual with no issues.

Any ideas? I was wondering if 1) The GTX 295 has been fried due to overclocking

2) The GTX 295 is a DX 10 only card (I use DX 9 & Windows XP as I cant install windows Vista or Win 7)

3) Its a driver issue. I have the latest nVidia drivers installed v301.42. Should I do a clean uninstall of the drivers before inserting the GTX 295 into the PCI slot on the mainboard?

4) The card is such a power hungry beast that both the 6 & 8 pin connector should be in, & can you get 6 to 8 pin converters?

Any suggestions welcome please :shrug:

Now for the next frustrating installment in my quest for an acceptable framerate in the F1 mod! Ive bought an nVidia GTX 295 (second hand off eBay) to replace the 8800GT i was struggling with (see earlier posts).For those not familiar with this beast of a card it is essentially 2 cards strapped together & by all accounts should make rFactor fly with all the graphics settings set to max. Ahem. :banghead2: I installed the card, when i boot up my PC i hear a series of beeps, my monitor stays blank & a red LED on the back of the GTX 295 comes on nextt to the DVI -D connector for the monitor. The card itself has two connecting slots for the power cable, an 8 pin & a 6 pin. My power supply unit is a Jeantech 700W 12v rail type & so should have plenty of juice to power the GTX 295. I have the six pin connector in the card at present as I dont have an 8 pin block to the PSU. After several fruitless attempts to get the card working I replaced the old 8800GT & my PC then boots into windows as usual with no issues.

Any ideas? I was wondering if 1) The GTX 295 has been fried due to overclocking

2) The GTX 295 is a DX 10 only card (I use DX 9 & Windows XP as I cant install windows Vista or Win 7)

3) Its a driver issue. I have the latest nVidia drivers installed v301.42. Should I do a clean uninstall of the drivers before inserting the GTX 295 into the PCI slot on the mainboard?

4) The card is such a power hungry beast that both the 6 & 8 pin connector should be in, & can you get 6 to 8 pin converters?

Any suggestions welcome please :shrug:

You can't power a card with a 6 and 6. The rails give out different voltages. You need one of these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PCI-E-6-to-8-Pin...=item3f159443e2

or

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Molex-4-to-8-pin...=item5d347f93ce

You need both the 6 and 8 pin cables connected for the card to run and like Allan says there are adapters you can buy. I have some unused ones lying around somewhere from before I decided running 3 similar cards might be a good idea :glare: I would gladly let you have them but it would be quicker and just as cheap to buy new from the links above.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..