Game is freezing

DaveW329

Hi,

Ive tried all sorts to get rid of this problem but now i need help as all my ideas are out.

From the start my pc got blitzed in a thunderstorm so i went out bought new motherboard and processor motherboard

specs are

Uguru abit motherboard abit KV8 ( socket 754) Athlon 64 cpu with 800mhz FSB

Chipset is VIA K8T800 + VT8237

new proceesor is a AMD athlon 64 2800 newcastle 130 nm (socket 754)

Can you give me more info on the freezes?

Is there any pattern to them or is it just locking up?  Did you format when you changed the motherboard?

If not it could be a driver conflict, or most likely will be.  Need more info before i can give you a proper answer though.

firstly on new Gc it freezed with screen messed up so i unistalled that one put in old Gc and installed it was ok this afternoon then went tonight and it just froze a perfect pic

i got reminded about virtual memory which i have now changed

If the lightning strike popped a capacitor or two on the graphics card, it could be that- you wouldn't know until it's been running for a short while in 3d (and 6800le cards came with this "feature" as standard).

If you can get hold of a free graphics card just to swap in and test, that should help.

Other advice, as always:

(re)install DirectX 9

install known good gfx drivers (lastest branded from your card maker's website maybe rather than reference drivers from ATI/nVidia/Whoever)

Run "dxdiag" and see if any obvious errors crop up.

Another way to test the graphics card (if it will let you) is to underclock the memory on it by a fair bit- if this stops the crashes, it might be a dodgy card, or I suppose it could be heat buildup.

Hi john i changed Graphics card and still got same problem installed direct x still same tbh not sure how to underclock my graphics card.

But i have changed my virtual memory and low and behold i managed a full meeting lasty night with no problems so hopefully this may of sorted it i hope

Well, you should be safe in the knowledge that your gfx didn't get fried.

I'm not sure why monkeying about with virtual memory should make much difference, unless your system partition is clogged up and you've not much ram installed- I used to manually set my swap file, but I think I switched it back to "let Bill sort it all out for you".

Fingers crossed that it's all fixed, anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

still can't get rid of this problem i have tried another game and it does exactly the same but it just exits to desktop whereas nascar heat goes just freezes my pc and needs a reset.

there is a crash log in file manager dont know if that gives any clues to the problem

Never seen a crash log like that before.

Try putting all graphics options to minimum in the game, and try unplugging the PS2 adaptor- just to check- I have heard of people getting lock ups with these PSX-USB things from time to time.

26112[/snapback]

Yeah i had the same with a PS2 adaptor and couldnt work out what it was as it was only doing it on certain mods, then i realised that i didnt have the force feedback setting on in all the mods so i turned it off for all the mods and it worked fine since.  shrug.gif.

Edited by LeeK39

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..