Banger Building Help

Hair624

banghead2.gif We are on the verge of finishing me brothers mk5 tina estate and basically are confused with the wiring would like a fully labelled and detailed diagram, if anyone would be so kind to take their time to help us out t would be greatly appreciated! 2.gif

The car should be raced a 2litre meeting at mildenhall sometime near the summer

Cheers

Hair

Guest kev236

Hi Hair

You need thick starter cable going direct from the battery(+), thinner wire from battery(+) onto a sprung or push button switch, then from the switch to the solenoid on the starter. For ignition you need a wire from battery(+) to a toggle switch then from the switch to the coil, and from the coil to the distributor, and offcourse an earth from the battery(-) on to the body. Also best to put an earth strap from the engine onto the body.

Guest Scrapman53

I used to put 2 or 3 earth straps from the engine to the body after an outing in a Metro Banger. I was leading the race by quite a bit but got spun when passing a back marker, hit the wall and broke the single earth I had on. I eventually got it started as it earthed through the throttle cable but it took ages to fire up due to not gettin a proper earth and as a result I lost a trophy. lol.

Also make sure any connections are sound and I used to cable tie the plug leads onto the cap etc, as that lost me a very large tropy in the Saloons when the coil lead departed from the cap after moving the leader out of my way.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..