Ford Orion as a banger??

sashjag

I have a ford orion,,not this 1 but its exactly the same.. Do you think it will be a good idea to take it to an under 1800cc meeting?

Im planning on taking it to Bonebusta at westworld raceway on 27th august??

332_sashjag

post-814-1142442371.gif

At spedeworth you see alot of Orions used in the Rookie Banger meetings, the bigger engine ones seem quite nippy aswell,

What ever you chose be sure to post up some pictures of the car before and after the meeting :thumbs_up:

Rikard

I would rather race a sierra than one of those things, and sierras are complete pooh!

You're right about Sierras. I would have thought Orions would have (slightly) better handling than Sierras because of their shorter wheelbase? Maybe not.

Guest GSpeed

I have a ford orion,,not this 1 but its exactly the same.. Do you think it will be a good idea to take it to an under 1800cc meeting?

Im planning on taking it to Bonebusta at westworld raceway on 27th august??

332_sashjag

I shouldnt bother with bangers mate, people will only slate you on the internet if you run someone in, or if you rod round all day. there really is no pleasing the internet anoraks

erik i dunno how you could say cavaleirs are better than a granada or cortina, ino they are getting old now and getting rare but no need to say there rubbish they was the best in there day! like every car cavaliers and bluebirds are not very rare is granadas or cortinas so there will be more out on the tracks.

cheerz tombo

I don't know why you lot are so keen on Granadas, Cortinas etc. Cavaliers would be alot better IMO.

As you drive a baby saloon stock, you probably wouldnt understand it.

I would rather cop a large portion whilst being strapped into a granny or cortina, rather than be sat in a piece of fwd shat thats going to fold around my ears.

Call me old skool, but I have taken a fair few big hits, and dished some out, in grannies and tinas, and they where designed and made far stronger than those chavalier bilge mobiles.

Lol best ive herd ministox being called baby saloon stock , i would say he would do bangers if it wasnt 4 the age limit..

Plus dont have to replace a mini every meet :rofl:

Martin :thumbup:

I don't know why you lot are so keen on Granadas, Cortinas etc. Cavaliers would be alot better IMO.

i know if i was offered a cavalier for free or a tina/granny for 200quid id have the tina/grannie any day. cavaliers are ok if u can weld if not wave bye bye to the engine when u hit something

tina/granny for 200quid id have the tina/grannie any day

200 squid? how can people manage to afford that every few weeks? :banghead2: if i done banger racing i could only really afford to pay about £1.99 per car, and thats scraping the barrel! :blink: id better stick to racing just online :thumbs_up:

Edited by Rikard

£ 200.00! :o

Most I ever paid was £ 150.00 for a 2.3 manual cortina, and thats only cause the previous owner had fitted a racey cam and a new set of pistons and rods.

The last granny I bought only cost me £ 80.00 and that was a 2.3 manual, and when I got that back to the yard, it turned out to be a 2.8! Bonus.

Cheap motors are around, they just take an awful lot of detective work to find, and it helps if you dont have a race deadline to meet for a certain type of car.

Most I ever paid was £ 150.00 for a 2.3 manual cortina, and thats only cause the previous owner had fitted a racey cam and a new set of pistons and rods.

The last granny I bought only cost me £ 80.00 and that was a 2.3 manual, and when I got that back to the yard, it turned out to be a 2.8! Bonus.

Cheap motors are around, they just take an awful lot of detective work to find, and it helps if you dont have a race deadline to meet for a certain type of car.

very true but the more we race the less there are about so inevitably the price goes up. most expensive car i raced was a mk2 hearse that cost me 150. my dolly only cost me 51 quid and was unleaded aswell. bonus.

the other day when i said in chat you can get a montego hearse and limo some people didnt believe me. heres the proof. scroll down and enter the colman-milne section http://www.austin-rover.co.uk/index.htm?lm10indexf.htm

the other day when i said in chat you can get a montego hearse and limo some people didnt believe me. heres the proof. scroll down and enter the colman-milne section http://www.austin-rover.co.uk/index.htm?lm10indexf.htm

Bilge-tastic! :rofl:

That said, I had a maestro in the yard a few years back, and it was suprisingly hard. We snapped the front pillars on a raced granny with it and lent the front chassis legs of a fresh volvo across with it. Dont know if I would be brave enough to race one properly though.

very true but the more we race the less there are about so inevitably the price goes up. most expensive car i raced was a mk2 hearse that cost me 150. my dolly only cost me 51 quid and was unleaded aswell. bonus.

your right Damo, that montego limo looks quite smart, plus i wouldn;t mind taking that women in the back for a test drive either ;)

I would rather cop a large portion whilst being strapped into a granny or cortina, rather than be sat in a piece of fwd shat thats going to fold around my ears.

Call me old skool, but I have taken a fair few big hits, and dished some out, in grannies and tinas, and they where designed and made far stronger than those chavalier bilge mobiles.

Well, maybe Cavvys are a bad example, but perhaps Saabs of some description would be better? Or Carltons/Omegas? At least GM cars have decent handling. If it wasn't for Ford having owned Lotus at some point, their cars would have crappy handling to this date. And Martin, I would like to do bangers, but I couldn't be arsed with the hassle of building new cars all the time.

Edited by erik

point i was trying to make is that racing fwd cars is boring imo, but these days most tracks you havent a chance in a tina because of the speed that a fwd car will go round a track, you could be worlds best driver in a tina n any man or his dog could put u in in a bluebird, sad i no. nothing beats thrashing a rwd car with locked diff round a slippy track, why i packed bangers up and got a hot rod for standlake

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..