Unknown Process

MoR137

Hi

Went around my friends today and she was complaining that her PC wouldn't do anything. So we fired it up and it was fine until you clicked on an icon to do something, and nothing happened. So we bashed our trusty old Ctrl Alt Del combination and at the bottom of the task manager CPU usage was at 100%, obviously explaining why nothing else would load. So i clicked the Processes tab and found that around 98% of the CPU was being used by STARTEAK.exe. I've been home and checked my computer, as we both run Windows XP, and i do not have STARTEAK listed in my processes. With her PC not being mine, I'm too scared to click to end the process as I'm afraid of what it might do.

I was thinking that maybe this could be some sort of virus. However, how do i run a virus check when CPU usage is at 100% with STARTEAK running? Thats my dialema here! shrug.gif

If anyone could help me or reassure me that ending the process STARTEAK.exe will not harm her computer, that would be much appreciated.

Cheers MoR

Hi,

Have a look at this link m8 Here

Its listed on there and has some recommendations on how to get rid of it...looks like its specific to compaqs.

(Edit...having said that the advice is pretty poor but at least its a known thing)

Cheers

Grasser#233

Edited by Grasser233

And I found this

Description:

starteak.exe is installed on mainly Compaq workstations. It allows the configuration of the Compaq keyboard's one-touch keys. This program is a non-essential system process, but should not be terminated unless suspected to be causing problems.

Thanks for your help both of you, much appreciated appl.gifthumbs_up.gif

Cheers MoR

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..